It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've had one colonoscopy and the Dr did not order to stop the Suboxone,said to continue 32mg/day so the fenytenal didn't work,not so pleasant of experience.
I had surgery and everything worked because I quit taking Suboxone 4 days prior.I was given a short but powerful acting opiate had to be awake during the implant and stching but felt nothing.After surgery meds didn't work but pain was 5 out of 10.

This will be my second time of having esphagus stretched.1st time I was only give a throat spray,there was pain but nothing like the colon being blown up with air.
I'm on my 2nd day w/o Suboxone,surgeon just called and said no opiate based drugs are given during an upper GI scope,but a drug called Verocet or one in that class.According to the Dr I can go back on my Suboxone.

I still take Klonopin and Suboxone but at a much lower dose.0.5mg/day of Klonopin,2 8mg strips of Suboxone/day.

The Dr. is planning to stretch the esphogus and take a look at stomach because of GERD.

Of course there are what if's going through my mind,what if they find something and have to put me under???Will the Suboxone block whatever they give?Should I continue to stay off Suboxone until after the procedure just in case they have to put me under?

Post subject: Going Under
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

Hi TOS,

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time physically and trying to deal with the Sub and pain management. The Buprenorphine in Suboxone blocks the mu receptors so other opiates just don't work unless you can get your dosage down to a very low level like 2mg's or less.

Bup will have no effect on putting you under. Normally they use Jackson Juice (Propofol) to knock you out and it works beautifully with no after effects when you wake up. Just make sure your Anesthesiologist knows how much Sub you are taking and it should be fine. It must have been terrible having a colonoscopy with no opiates that would work for you. I thought they always used Versed so you wouldn't remember all the pain they inflicted. That sucks.

32mg's of Sub is a really high dose. Do you need to take that much or can you taper down before the next procedure? 4 days will help but with that high amount you might be able to go longer. Try not taking any for longer than four days and see how long it takes for withdrawal to kick in. Then you'll know how long to stop before the next procedure. Just a suggestion.

Hope all goes well for ya,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the reply.
The surgeon called today and said he would not use a opiate based drug,but a drug like Versed and or one stronger.He did say I could go back on my dose of Suboxone.

I only take two 8mg strips/day now,it was 32mg/day for the 1st few years.

thanks again,