It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So right now I just took medical leave from school after being back on dope. I just got back on subs a few weeks ago I'm at 24mg and will be home for the next 6 months, my issue is that when I go back to school in august I want to stay on suboxone. Does anyone have experience with finding two different doctors that collaborate so I can get my suboxone at school and when I'm home from school? In alittle lost right now I found a private doctor in my home town. But my school is in a remote location and can't find any doctors that aren't affiliated with a treatment program I will still stay in treatment but I need to have my medication while at home and at school I know if I go off suboxone and go back to school I will relapse. Any help would be great this is my first ever post if anyone has any tips on how to see if people r responding to my posts as well as help for my issue I would really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello motocross,

I hope someone that knows the answer will chime in here soon to help

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I think you are making a great choice by seeking Medical treatment ( by prescription) for your addiction. Suboxone helps so much to treat this monster of a disease called : addiction. NOW, you can get your life on track and continue to go to school. This medication really helps keep cravings at bay while you can work on your recovery.

Hope you find an answer to your question.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks a ton!! It's my second time on it my first time I hated it! My doctor would never go over 4mg and wanted me off as fast as possible and it was miserable. This new doctor is amazing it took me to get to 24 mg to finally keep cravings at bay and help with all the wd.

I must tell you I can't believe my last doctor wouldn't help it is crazy how good I feel after only 3 week! :) it's awesome this go around not being forced to taper or kept at only 4mg I feel amazing no cravings no depression no anxiety a well worth it semester off to get back on this medication and get clean. I know that going back to school I need this med to stay sober and my grades will finally go back to my usual 3.0 + I'm so excited thanks again!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Motocross,

Happy you stopped by. More will soon come along. Interesting question for sure.
IDk but Just to clarify, the Drs around your school are or are not affiliated w a bup treatment program? Trying to understand if none are in the area or if they are but its an issue to switch between Drs when at school and when at home? Ask your school given maybe other kids face this too?
In my understanding, bup drs understand kids go home for breaks and for the summer and will collaborate if they are not already capped out at the legal bup patient limit. If you're only able to find 1 dr at either end, does the Dr allow extended time between appts or offer video appts after you've been w them for awhile and can maybe order scripts for where you currently reside?
That could maybe work if your school is in the same state as your home. Is it? Drs are licensed to practice by state so that makes a difference.
FYI, always stockpile bup for when the pharm is out or when an insurance prior authorisation delays your fill etc.. At 24mgs/day at some point you'll be able to stockpile due to bup's ceiling effect - more on that later if that's unfamiliar to you. Congrats you know to be on bup and to focus on you and your future right now and for the forseeable future! Lots of help here. Keep asking and posting. helps you get more help. Wishing you my best today! P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just saw Raudy's post and totally agree!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks man and yea the problem is all the docs in my college town I have to be enrolled in their treatment program. My school is in the same state as I live so possibly I may just try to free up fridays from class so I can go to the doc hopefully can try and find something more normal if that makes sense but if it the medication is worth any troubles and I don't take nearly 24 mg a day I do save 1-2 strips per day at the moment and may even get the doctor up to 36 mg a day so I can save even more never hurts to have a back up:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Motocross, imo, asking for 36mg is a huge red flag to your Dr. Some insurance cos won't cover more than 16mg/day after the first few months, due to bup's ceiling effect. After its reached, more bup doesn't do anything. doesn't help but doesn't hurt, except their pocket book. Check w your Dr on his/her dosing plans for you once you're stable. P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The highest accepted (not off-label) prescribed dosage is widely known as being 32mg.
Anything over that is considered waste, as the ceiling is reached and the excess is wasted and metabolized as such by the body.
Once you get that ceiling -- taking more doesn't do anything for you...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:34 am 

You could ask your doctor at home if he would be willing to do video appointments with you? I only actually go in four times a year. It's very convenient!

I'm so glad that you are getting the true benefits from the suboxone this time around!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes i know all about the suboxone 32 mg ceiling i have done quite the research on the subject including a few school projects. Thank you guys i was hoping to hear a response like the video chat one i cant imagine a doc wouldnt be willing to help a college student due to the fact that alot of people are on suboxone in college or around that age!!

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:37 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

maybe one of the program doctors could work with you. if you have to do drug tests to get your scripts maybe you could do those near your college and they could send the results to your regular dr who could call in your prescription. would you be using 2 pharmacies then too? do you have insurance? what about the school nurse?
just some ideas.
what are you studying?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Easy to keep Sub melting in your mouth while in lectures. During tutes, team projects and while doing presentations not so much :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"Yes i know all about the suboxone 32 mg ceiling i have done quite the research on the subject including a few school projects."

You might want to do a bit more research and a few more papers, as the ceiling is much closer to between 4 and 8 mg - most certainly not 32. In fact, it's rather rare for anyone to be prescribed nor need more than 16 mg per day max. Anything more is very much in the person's head. To addicts, more is always better. However when they finally taper, they all discover that they do just fine until hitting the 4 mg or often the 2 mg mark.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:09 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

TeeJay wrote:
Easy to keep Sub melting in your mouth while in lectures. During tutes, team projects and while doing presentations not so much :(

but why would you have one in your mouth at that moment? that bugged me last time i read your comment.