It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone troches
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just got started on suboxone on may 31, 2016. I'm a long term painkiller user, eight years to be exact. I currently reside in Birmingham, AL. Well I went to a suboxone clinic and was prescibed 60 suboxone strips, 8mg/2mg. I had researched prices and such of this medication, and found that the suboxone troches are much cheaper, seeing that I don't have insurance. Well I found a pharmacy that compounded the troches and took my prescription there. When i tried to get the troche form, the pharmacist said that I couldn't because of the way that the doctor had written out my prescription. So I called the doctors office, and they tell me that they don't prescibe the troche form at all. I explain to them that I can't afford the strips, and that the pharmacist said the troche form has the exact same ingredients as the strips do. They still wouldn't send a new prescription for me. I was only able to fill enough meds for a week, and about to run out. Why can't these people understand that I did this to better myself and to help save money? And what can I do to get the cheaper troche form, try another doctor?? I thought you could get generic of any drug, no matter how the prescription was written. I think the doctor is being paid by the company that makes the strips to only prescribe them specifically. I'm new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Post subject: Re: Suboxone troches
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey D86,

Welcome here and welcome to a new life on bup! I too was a long term pain patient, 10 yrs. Interesting question and one Dr,J, MD and site owner or doc2m, another doctor that visits here regularly, are better to answer. I thought due to federal opiate addiction laws that only certain approved manufactured meds like suboxone, bunavail, zubsolv, and generic buprenorphine (replaces subutex, which has been discontinued) were allowed. It may also have to do w the way they are made and then absorbed. In other words 8mg of bup in a troche may get much more or much less absorbed into your system vs the suboxone 8 mg film / 8 mg tablet. Same for the 2 mg naloxone in a troche. As I understand it, bunavail and zubsolv have less bup than suboxone but higher absorption but all yield the same blood level once absorbed. I've read on other forums of compounded bup gummie bears but assumed that was hype and untrue. We'll find out here, for sure. Someone will come along w the correct answer!! Wishing you my best, P

PS Be sure to check out the Talkzone link at the top as well as dive into this forum. This is an incredible site and one I believe you will find very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By 'troche', I assume you are referring to a pharmacy compounding buprenorphine for you? Pelican is onto the problem. The Harrison is literally a 100-y-o law that prevents prescribing opioids to treat opioid withdrawal/addiction. Methadone was the first exception, and buprenorphine is the second exception-- an exception created through legislation referred to as 'DATA 2000'. The law states opioid dependence can be treated using schedule III medications that are specifically indicated for treating addiction.

Understand that ANY substance can be used to treat pain, providing that use is within the standard of care. But only medications indicated to treat addiction can legally be prescribed to treat opioid dependence.

BTW, it is very, very illegal for a doctor to receive bribes, payments, or any type of reimbursement in return for prescribing a medication. Reckitt-Benckiser used to manufacture Suboxone; now the drug is made by a spin-off company called 'Indivior'. RB had a program called 'here to help'-- a program that listed doctors on a website, provided a medication assistance program, and provided patient education materials. To join the program doctors had to agree to prescribe Suboxone for their patients. I thought that they would get in trouble for having that relationship with physicians, but to my surprise, I never heard of any fallout from the program...

But it would be illegal for a pharmacist to compound buprenorphine for addiction treatment, and it would be illegal for a doctor to 'order' buprenorphine in that form.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm 

I had never heard of suboxone troches before. I did a quick search and quickly scanned through it but was in the middle of something so didn't do a great research job lol. It also said something about gummies or something....I was thinking...wow what?

I totally understand wanting to go the cheapest route because I also pay out of pocket for everything. It's a hefty monthly commitment that's for sure. But since I started out on strips, I just stayed with em because I was so afraid I'd not have as much success with any others. I tried subutex once and since it was pill form I didn't feel like I absorbed very well. After that I was like....no matter what I'm sticking with strips. That's just me, I'm the biggest worryer in history and create things in my mind that all stems from worrying lol ok I'm off topic, sorry. My point was, I understand trying to take the cheapest route. But sometimes u just gotta take the next cheaper thing and cut corners somewhere else. Hopefully u can do that. Don't let this stop u from getting this treatment, it's so worth every penny imo.

Good luck and don't give up. Check the prices everywhere u can think of.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I thought you could get generic of any drug, no matter how the prescription was written

There are generics available. Ask the pharmacist to price each that he has available. Also check for generic buprenorphine (The drug formerly known as Subutex), it is usually much cheaper than the films. Whether your doctor will prescribe it or not is a different issue.