It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ I understand what you're saying about most people not realizing what kind of damage they've done to their teeth until they get clean. I for one knew exactly what I had done though. As soon as I got my shit together I started going to the dentist to fix the damage. I had frequent appointments so they could keep an eye on things. Mind you, I was on suboxone for 6 years straight, so that was a good amount of time to get a feel for the trending curve (if you will) in my mouth. I did not have any issues with my two bottom front teeth. About 4 years into sub treatment, my doctor asked me if I was sucking on candies. He said specifically that I had too much build up between my two, front bottom teeth. All my other teeth were fine except this one area and I had been taking good care of them for years..

My dentist didn't know I was on sub, btw. He could tell that something was going on under my tongue there. Just sayin.. I don't consider this hard proof, at all, but I have my strong suspicions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i too have had perfect teeth all my life and was always complimented by my dentist at each check up. after having spent the last 2 years on subs my teeth have taken a turn for the worse. the bottom teeth are literally rotting away. there is no more enamel on them and the dentist is baffled. he thought i was experiencing acid reflux so he had me see a GI doctor and have an endoscopy performed but it came back negative. at my last appointment he tested the acidity level in my mouth and please keep in mind i had just dosed. well the results were off the chart! he asked if i had eaten or drank anything citrus and after answering no he then gave me some more of the acid level strips to take home and test throughout the day. after taking the tests at various times throughout the day the results the acid levels were back to normal. so it is clear that the suboxone spikes an increase in the acidity level in my mouth thus causing all the damage to my teeth. I am at the point where I am going to need caps this summer. He bought me some extra time by putting a clear sealant on each affected tooth and so far it has been holding up but it is still going to need to be fixed soon.

so what does one do? continue taking suboxone and live a drug free life? or stop suboxone and risk going back to my DOC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ That's what happened to me. Extra build up and loss of enamel on my bottom, front teeth. My dentist was baffled too. Can you take extra precaution and brush your teeth a little while after you dose?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Subs have ruined my teeth): my teeth are whiter near my gum line and I've had to have 2 root canals...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I too was a long-term Suboxone user. I took 3-8mg sublingual tablets per day for over 3 years. And I noticed after the first year or so that my teeth, which weren't perfect, but not that bad, were literally beginning to disintegrate. I have now lost over 5 teeth because of this drug. My dentist noticed it and when i first did a google search and found this site and others like it, I stopped taking the Suboxone immediately. I am now trying to get my teeth fixed/replaced, and I've found a lawyer who thinks that I have a case against the manufacturer because of the lack of warning against this severe side effect of long-term usage of the drug. If anyone out there is willing to step forward and help me, tell their story and likely give a deposition to the lawyer, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm actually surprised that a class-action lawsuit hasn't been brought against Reckit for this gross negligence in notifying people of this effect. I'm 100% sure that they are aware of it by now. If you can help me, please contact me ASAP.

Thank you and good luck to everyone.

~Mark Schamber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

@Mark-

So you quit taking Suboxone as soon as you figured out what was causing your tooth problems? Exactly how did you do that? Did you switch to methadone? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm 
Mark please respond to my inquiries. I have has 2 cavities for the first time in 25 years after a year on this med. I cannot believe all the stories i am seeing from this. Wow, Clearly reason #254 why i hate this drug.

I am very interested in becoming, advocating, or helping in a class action lawsuit. I am family friends with a good lawyer in FL outta west palm beach. Would love to sue these guys who clearly LIE on there package insert.

Post subject: Cavities
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:06 am 

Whether or not Sub causes tooth decay I cannot say. I would like to respond to an older post by caddy007 who said that the cavities are happening on her gum line. My question to her would be; have you had oral cancer that required radiation therapy? That is exactly what happens to rad patients, and I am one of them. Some of it has to do with losing your saliva glands so you don't have saliva anymore. My rad oncologist said that saliva is the best cavity fighting defense we have. You lose that, or lessen it, and you will have problems.

With me, since 1990 I've flossed every day, use a proxy brush, and brush my teeth the correct way that the dentist told me to do. And now since radiation, they added fluoride in trays for me to use before bed. Not many people out there willing to do what I did and still do. With the fluoride added in it takes me 25 minutes to do my teeth routine every night. Ever since '90, which is 23 years ago, I've only not flossed maybe four times in all that time. Needless to say, my teeth are perfect and gums as healthy as can be. The Suboxone has had no effect whatsoever in almost three years. Oh, and I too use a mouth spray like Biotene to help with dry mouth. I only have one major saliva gland. Doctor took out the other one so my saliva is only half of others. It's a fight I'm willing to do.

I don't discount anyone's story of blaming Sub for tooth decay. It may in fact be very true. Let's see what happens with a class action law suit.

rule

Post subject: Re: Cavities
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rule62 wrote:
Let's see what happens with a class action law suit.

rule

I nearly spit out my coffee.. thank you for the laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's this funny thing that tends to keep your teeth from falling out due to that nasty acid filled suboxone..... BRUSH YOUR FREAKIN TEETH FOLKS!!! Not once... Not twice.... But three or four times a day!!! Sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

tinydancer wrote:
rule62 wrote:

rule

Your Welcome TD! Come on, it's not too far fetched if it can be proved.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rule62 wrote:
tinydancer wrote:
rule62 wrote:

Your Welcome TD! Come on, it's not too far fetched if it can be proved.

LOL. I guess all we can do now is just wait and see? I will not hold my breath for this one.

Interestingly, I think teeth are one of the body parts that are not valued (monetarily) in the eyes of the law, very easily anyway. Winning a dental malpractice suit is extremely hard because of this. I actually sued a previous dentist because their work was subpar and my lawyer said if it weren't for some of the surrounding circumstances, we wouldn't have had a shot based on shitty work alone. They settled before we got in front of a judge, but I don't think I would have won if they hadn't settled. Anyway.. sorry for my tangent. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone for over 5 years now, 24mg per day. I have had dental issues off and on over my 52 years and have had 6 root canals prior to drug addiction/Suboxone. I have always taken care of my teeth but seem to have the same issues my dad did regardless. In the past 3 years I've had 4 more root canals and have had 3 teeth pulled that I'd already spent 2000.00 ea on for a root canal that decayed underneath the root canal and had to be removed. I had a new set of full xrays again last month and left the dentist in tears. He told me almost all of my teeth are decaying down under the gum line and quoted me $45,000.00 to $50,000.00 to do various bridges and implants in order to save my teeth or I can get dentures which would be much cheaper. I got a 2nd opinion and although I need a lot of work in my mouth, my new dentist quoted me $10,000.00-$12,000.00 and the work could be done over several years as long as the pain is tolerable. I've had tooth after tooth abscess and I'm searching for the reasons why. I think the biggest reason is my sweet tooth I've developed in the last 5 years since getting clean and my genetics also play a part. I've wondered if the suboxone sitting in my mouth could be a cause it so I decided to see if anyone on this forum has had this problem. This post started over 2 years ago and I would have expected a LOT more people having this problem if it caused tooth decay so I'm not convinced. I guess it's just me I have to blame and maybe genetics. I do think with me having so many teeth problems over the years and now taking Suboxone 3 times a day probably doesn't help and is a possible factor in the rapid increase in problems over the last 3 years.

I have never heard before about the dry mouth (which I have) causing tooth decay but that is the likely factor in the increase of decay I have. Thank you for posting that information, I'll check out the med that helps dry mouth and see if that makes any difference. I don't think the damage is reversible but it doesn't hurt to try. I am also under the opinion that even if Suboxone were the cause, my teeth are worth sacrificing to save my life because I surely would be by now with the path I was on 5 years ago.

A special shout out to Hatmaker who I haven't talked to in a very long time. I think of you often and all the valuable wisdom you've given me over the years. You are a true gem in my recovery and I'll never forget you.

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font] [b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Believe me, I've read thousands of posts over the past 8 months. And I KNOW that all opiates can cause dry mouth. But I also KNOW that Suboxone is what's causing this DISINTEGRATION from the INSIDE of the tooth. I was on opiates, strong ones even for over 5 YEARS before and they hadn't affected my teeth one bit. After 2 years on Suboxone, my teeth start disintegrating and I've lost over 5 teeth that simply aren't there anymore, except for a stub. You can't just brush this off as "dry mouth". Anyone who believes that it's just dry mouth hasn't gotten their facts straight. I've read too many posts and talked to too many people who were already taking meds, had no problems until Suboxone and just like me, after a couple of years, teeth start falling out.

And no, I was not put on Suboxone for opiate addiction or abuse. My dr simply thought it would work better for my lower back pain. And it did. It worked 100% better than any other pain medication I've ever used for keeping my back pain in check. But it was secretly destroying my teeth from the inside out. And I'm not a slouch when it comes to keeping up my teeth. I have a $200 sonicare toothbrush, I use clinical crest toothpaste, and clinical mouth rinse. And yes, I know the differences. Since I stopped taking Suboxone, I was put on Opana ER and Nucynta. And even though I'm taking high doses of those, since I stopped taking the Suboxone, the disintegration of my teeth has stopped. I'm holding on to what I have left, but there's so much damage, I pretty much need a full mouth reconstruction.

I'm still looking for anyone out there who's had similar problems to mine to help me with my lawsuit. Just please pm me.

~Mark

Post subject: Suboxone Lawsuit
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Because of the damage done to my teeth, which literally disintegrated from the INSIDE out because of this particular opiate,(I've been taking opiates for years before this and after and none of them or the "dry mouth" condition caused me any dental problems) my dentist and I have a lawsuit going. If you have a similar story and would be willing to help me, please PM me and let me know ASAP. This is a time-sensitive situation, so please don't waste any time in contacting me.

Thank you.

~Mark/Zeoran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this is an older thread but anyone seeing this I would like to shed some light on long term use of suboxone regarding tooth decay. I've been taking suboxone for 5 years and am still taking 16 mg a day. I've had 2 root canals and 2 teeth pulled, and have large amounts of decay on the sides of another tooth. As did the ones that were pulled. I've noticed the beginning of that same decay starting on my front teeth around the gums. I have a job that requires me to stand and move my ass for 12-14 hours a day, needless to say that requires energy, I had come off suboxone before about 6 years ago after taking it for about 6 months, prior to that I had 3 years of heavy heroine I/V use. The first 2 weeks coming off suboxone are the worst but for the first 3 months you you are ridiculously weak and tired. I have two small children (which were the reasons I have been able to get clean and stay clean). I am not afraid to get off suboxone but am afraid I will lose my job for poor performance. I know if I could take a month off from the job and child care(which alone would kill me) aside from that I would have no problems with taking that challenge, but unfortunately that's not a possibility and I'm not sure what I am going to do. at this rate I will have dentures before I'm 30. I'm 27 now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Damn spam...
Damn drug. I'll tell my colleagues and encourage the FDA to take it off the market.
Sarcasm button off.
PAX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Moviemaker it has nothing to do with our oral hygiene and everything to do with suboxone. I've been on sub for 4 years and my teeth are falling apart too. Chipping in places and cavities. Before suboxone I've had only one cavity in my life, and I'm 48.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm aware this is an old topic but I'm going to post on it anyway since I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and will stumble across this.

Dry Mouth is the most common and notorious culprit for tooth decay, add in pharmaceutical grade dry mouth and your in for a nasty surprise. Especially considering that more than half of Sub patients are usually on more than one med., most likely an anti-anxiety/depressant, which makes your mouth that much more dry. But when you take every preventative measure possible against such things you're left scratching your head.

I'm a long term Sub patient and at 25 years old I have the teeth of a someone who looks like they've abused Meth daily for 10 years. Mind you, I never really used any of that stuff. Mostly just pain killers. Ever since I have start Suboxone my teeth have been on a rotting downward spiral. My dentist and I are at a complete loss consider all my teeth have cavities and a little more than half of my teeth need to be pulled or are completely broken to hell. The only thing I can point the finger at is the Suboxone considering the level of oral hygiene I practice and the complete lack of acidic drinks and sugar I take in.

I have thought many times how unjust the side effects are of this drug with hardly any awareness in the matter. This med does help a good deal but in my opinion the negative effects are just not worth it and if I could go back in time I'd stop myself from starting the maintenance without a second thought.

I've even considered bring the makers of this medication to court and suing them for the exact price of my oral work needed, no more no less. But the argument has no sure proof and is iffy. MY TOTAL MEDICAL BILL FOR ORAL IS $20,000 at private dentist prices and permanent implant prices. But no I'll be 25 with a mouth full of dentures like someone in their 90's has to wear. I could go on about this matter but what's the point? Good luck to anyone in this kind of case and know you're not alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So let me preface this by saying that I have always taken good care of my teeth since I was a kid, and never had any cavities growing up. I never had any cavities in my 3 years snorting opiates daily (or the last 2 which were spent using needles.) There were times I took methadone when I couldn't find other opiates during that period, and then I went on methadone for 8 months when I cleaned up from needles and other drugs. I stopped the methadone because I felt lethargic, unmotivated, and put on almost 20 lbs over those 8 months. A side note, probably TMI, but I also could NOT shit on methadone, way worse then when I was on short acting opiates.

So I switched to suboxone, and have been on suboxone (& subutex during my pregnancy) for about 3 1/2 years now. Suboxone gives me headaches fairly frequently, the subutex did not (which was one good thing about an otherwise difficult pregnancy.) Too bad that where I live Dr.'s will NOT prescribe subutex to anyone but pregnant women & maybe the occasional person who is (supposedly) allergic to naloxone. I'd even say that 95% of self-pays w/out insurance in Maine are still refused subutex and made to take strips, even though subutex as a generic is MUCH less expensive out of pocket. After almost a year on suboxone, I went to a cleaning and was told I had 9 mostly minor cavities, and though I was able to fill 3 of them, I developed an allergy to novocaine and lidocaine and stopped the dental work because I was pregnant and had other things to deal with plus my dentist doesn't really have any other options for pain blocking. Over the last year, my teeth have gotten SO much worse, at the moment I know I have a minor abscess (which I have never had before.) About 8 months ago the largest and deepest cavity filling I'd had before fell out and my mother really pushed me to go get it fixed. I'm glad I was hasty, so the dentist didn't have to drill a lot with no novocaine. She didn't do a super thorough inspection of all my teeth because she was just going in to fix the filling, but she said she could tell my teeth and gums had degraded dramatically since I saw her for the original 3 fillings. The problem is that I haven't had dental insurance for like 6 years now, and really don't have the money to fix everything. The past 4-5 months, my gums have been killing me, and sometimes a few of the teeth with cavities flare up. I know I have gingivitis, even though I have brushed at least twice a day, usually 3 times (but with recommend soft bristles and not over-brushed) and flossed (though I admit that since my gums have have been hurting so bad I have to skip this every other night cuz now they bleed and puff up.) I alternate rinsing with this certain Crest rinse, diluted hydrogen peroxide (which does seem to help, but you have to be sure you do not swallow any of it cuz it could give you bad ulcers) and warm salt water. After every rinse, I follow up with Biotene dry mouth rinse. Biotene is a lil pricey, but so worth it if you suffer from dry mouth. I know that dry mouth plays its part in tooth and gum decay, but it really seems like the suboxone is ruining my teeth. Additionally, whenever I take my suboxone a few minutes in I start feeling really bad gum pain especially back by my molars (which is where I now have an abscess forming..) This pain continues and intensifies the longer it takes to dissolve the suboxone. After the suboxone is dissolved, even if I brush my teeth immediately afterwards.. my gums still hurt like a bitch for about 2-3 hours after every dose. I feel like maybe I should try and get concentrated fluoride for my teeth & gums even though I don't really like fluoride. I gotta save money to get to the dentist and I guess I'm really gunna have to taper down off my subs, cuz my mouth is being ruined despite my efforts. I know enough people who have had similar dental problems since being on suboxone (particularly the strips) that I strongly believe that a warning should be included in suboxone's information packets.

To be clear, I am not in any way suggesting that someone with an opiate addiction should not take suboxone to help themselves get clean, because in many ways suboxone has saved my life.... but they should be aware of the potential harm to their teeth and probably should limit themselves to being on suboxone for as brief a time as possible if/when they are confident they can maintain sobriety without it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next