It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone too expensive!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Now that I'm settled on Suboxone and it's the greatest thing that's ever happened for me, Medicare goes and switches my Part D carrier without my knowledge or consent. This carrier won't cover Suboxone (or any of my other meds) and the GENERIC costs $300. I can't afford this cost. I have one day's Sub dose left, then I'm out. Oxy is much cheaper AND the insurance covers a portion of it. Should I return to the nightmare of OXY? How can I detox quickly? I don't know what to do. I almost died on Oxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think u answered your own question "oxy almost killed me" there's other options with help paying for your suboxone treatment I'm sure u will receive a lot of responses. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:45 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

agreed, you answered yer own q. "oxy almost killed me". re-read yer post and think about it real hard. before u do anything rash, post back and hopefully u will have had a moment of clarity to re-think yer options.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Look at Options
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Dr. K,
I think you should explore all the options before you go back to something that " ALMOST KILLED YOU!!!"
If you contact the makers of Suboxone I think there are some programs were they dicount meds. for certian situations. I am not sure how it works but, I think it's worth looking in to. Also check with your State and Local government they may have an option??
Either way best of luck. Don't go back to oxy's you know what the "End Game" is there....

God Bless!!
TW

Post subject: Save yourself NOW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

BAD, BAD, BAD... thinking doc!!!!! I believe somewhere in the law someone has to give 3 days worth. An AA person would say you have " stinking thinking " Good Luck, Mike PS: are you setting your self up for a binger ???? Also, Costo sells 8mg's for $6.67

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would get myself another bottle at ANY cost..put it on a credit card...and buy some time to figure this out. There have to be ways to get it less expensive...

how long have you been on? How much were you taking? If you could get one more bottle and that was al lyou could get you could come up with a taper plan.

Post subject: $
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow! Thanks for your replies. One of you said: "Also, Costo sells 8mg's for $6.67." This I can live with! Thanks so much.

Post subject: Wait a minute...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 pm 
Hold on here...

I have Medicare Part D prescription coverage, and my plan does cover Suboxone.
It is illegal for Medicare to change your part D plan without your consent. You need to call Medicare to get this straightened out.

1-800-MEDICARE. They are there 24/7.

Also, I think you can change your plan to one that covers Suboxone, you just have to pay a penalty or something. And if you happen to qualify for the low-income subsidy (like me), you are allowed to change your plan any time of the year without penalty. Like I said, you need to call Medicare. www.medicare.gov has a feature that allows you to plug in your prescriptions and compare part D plans (and it's super easy)....my plan, which is the AARP Medicare RX Preferred Plan, is the best Medicare Part D Plan for Suboxone. Period. Don't be put off by the AARP, you don't have to be old, it's just a name....I'm only 27 (Medicare through disability) and this plan pays for all of my Suboxone with no prior authorization or other bullshit. Anyway, CALL MEDICARE because they can explain the process by which you can change your plan after open season has ended (open season was from Nov. 15 to Dec. 31 2009)
I've become rather deft at Social Security/Medicare, so if you have any questions, hit me up and I'll try to help
JD

Last edited by jdhammond1982 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm 
OH yeah...
We're talking your life here, so...
if you have to, until you get your Medicare straight, put the Suboxone on a credit card. Your life is worth it.
JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dr.K wow what a terrible situation you have found yourself in. I know how it feels to be on your last dose and have nothing else to turn to but believe me if you do the footwork something will turn up. Have you considered asking your doctor about a patience assistance program where the pharm company sends the meds to his office and you pick them up there at no cost? Only requirements are no health insurance and you have to make within a certain amount annually. This was what saved my life, I was at the end of my supply because the cost of the medication was really shrinking my bank account, I just couldn't afford it any longer. I know that you have medicare, so Im not sure if you would qualify for it but its worth a shot!!
I do have health insurance but my plan doesn't cover the medication nor doctor visits and I was still approved for the program!!! It's been a BLESSING to be able to get my meds and not wonder how in the world am I going to get the funds to cover it.
I would really check into your medicare plan as suggested and just HANG in there, don't let this be an excuse for you to do the wrong thing, (get back on the "DRUG THAT ALMOST KILLED YOU") you know what the right and wrong thing to do in this situation. If you REALLY want sobriety you will go to ANY extreme to get it, Just like we did when we wanted to use, (remember those terrible days). Please keep us posted and hang in there. Take care and God Bless!

Post subject: where are you?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm 
hey! Dr. K, I'm really worried about you. Please let us know what's going on. I've been thinking about your situation. Keep us posted.
JD

Post subject: jump off
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:55 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi all-- This is day two jump off after running out of Suboxone because of the expense. I'm waiting for the patient assistance program through the drug manufacturer. So far I feel bodily beat up, but that's all. Does it get worse?

If I could put this on a credit card I would, but I don't have one, can't get one.

Apparently I have a State subsidy that covers my prescription plan, so I have to call it and get the plan changed to one that will cover my meds. The State plan recently announced that it will not cover any meds that are not Medicare approved. This is so complex I can't understand it -- and I'm a doctor!

Problem is, this State plan, called "PAAD" is so busy that no one answers the phone. I tried writing weeks ago with no response. Typical State crap.

Thanks for your replies. I need this.

Post subject: High cost of suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Do you have an active prescription....if so can you just get 4 or 5 pills to buy you some time? I have had to do this one time when I was in a similar situation an could not afford my whole prescription. Walgreens did it for me and was very pleasant (although they may have been cursing me under their breath for filling 5 pills).

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject: partial script
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:51 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My boyfriend came to the rescue and bought half a script for me. The CVS pharmacist gladly fills partial scripts and puts the remained on hold. I have tried this with other CVS pharmacists who said that because it's a controlled substance they won't do it. I love it when a pharmacist is understanding and on your side!

I wonder what day 3 of detox would have been like....

Thanks all--

what a great site.

Post subject: Smart move "Dr K"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:13 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Dr K.. Walgreens always did that for me also, break up a script. I met with my shrink Thursday , he said the part of the brain that make endorphins has been shut down and using the opium in the pain pills as endorphins (I'm not quoting him ) You must taper so our brains can start to manufacture endorphins as we need them. This takes a lot of time. Time is the 1 thing we cannot get back, let's NOT waste it. Please dont let yourself get into these situations were you stress out about suboxone, we did that with pills. I use to wait by the door for the Fedex guy ( Mike ) to deliver my pain pills. Talk about a fuc_ked up lifestyle, Mike