It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,
I guess I'll start with a little bit of a back story. I have been using opiates for about 9 months now. I went from percocet-oxycontin-heroin. About two months ago I finally got help. Unfortunately, it was not from a doctor though. I have no health insurance, but am unable to get Medicaid (I've tried numerous times now; I'm ineligble). Long story short, a friend of mine who takes suboxone has been helping me detox. This is how I've been going about getting off the opiates: I've taken 8mg tablets, breaking them up into four. For two days I would take 2 mgs, on the third day take 1mg, then on the third and fourth and fifth day split up the last 1mg. It would go pretty well. I wasn't very comfortable the entire time, but this is something I need to do so badly I will do anything to do it. However, in the past two months I've relapsed three times. For one day I would binge on whatever opiate I could get and then go back to the same rapid taper. I'm on my fourth taper right now, day #2, and my questions is this. Since in the last two months I've relapsed three times, but stayed on the suboxone as well of the same technique, will tapering be easier or harder since I've been doing it for two months now? I'm asking this because this has to be the final taper. I'm sure these words have come out of every addict's mouth, but this isn't who I am and I have to fight it with the limited resources I have I am getting my first professional job after graduating college and cannot risk this drug use becoming an issue. If anyone has any recommendations on an extremely rapid taper, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi cdeboucharde and welcome to the forum. Before I forget to mention it, I moved your thread from the Misc section to the "stopping suboxone" section. Just FYI.

Have you ever heard the definition of insanity? It's doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. I'm sorry, really, I'm not trying to be rude or bitchy, but you keep doing the exact same thing with the same results. Instead of trying it again, why not stop and think for a moment and try to figure out what's happening and what's not working. Obviously what you're doing isn't working/succeeding the way you had hoped. So maybe it's time to reassess and tweak your plan if necessary. But I fear if you keep doing the same thing without any changes whatsoever, for example all of your old active addiction behaviors, you'll just continue to struggle.

This is why people stay on suboxone longer that a couple of weeks. It takes time and effort to change the way we have been living (for YEARS for some of us). Ending the physical dependency is the easy part. Staying away from drugs and not getting high is the hardest part, as you have learned.

The thing I want to most impress upon you is that you need the time to make major changes in your life and until you do that, you might continue to struggle with relapse. I'm not saying I think you will fail or keep relapsing - not at all. I'm just urging you to reassess your plan and try to make some changes so that you have better chances for success.

When it comes to doing a fast taper/detox with sub, there's no one way to do it. Every person who's come here with that type of plan in mind had their own way of doing it. There are different ways to taper and different ways to dose, from every other day dosing to spread out a taper to waiting between doses until you almost go into w/d.

There are scores of threads in the "Stopping Suboxone" section; just peruse them for ones that deal with short term detox or taper.

I wish I could give you some concrete advice or words of wisdom, but only you know yourself. Only YOU know what you need to change inside yourself and in your life to make this change take hold. I do know, however, that whatever you need, support or just an ear to listen, we are here for you.

I hope you'll take this in the spirit in which it was intended - just to offer my support and my own honest opinion. I sincerely wish you the very best.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.