It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone taper to stop
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So I've been on suboxone for about a year and a half, before that I was doing perk 30's on and off for about 2 years. My way of choice was smoking them (stupid I know) I'm lucky to not have any health problems and am in good shape. So anyway I've tapered down to about 1/3 of an 8mg suboxone a day. (Anywhere from 2-3 mgs). I really need to stop completely, things weren't going so well with my then fiancé and family, they could tell somethings was wrong with me so I came clean to them about taking suboxone. This was about a month before my wedding. I was able to take 2 weeks off from work and stop cold turkey. At that time I was doing about a half a day. I slipped up about 8 days in because I had an important meeting for work and couldn't go feeling like shit. That coming weekend was my bachelor party and again didn't want to feel like shit so I did a couple of 30's and in my mind I told myself it would be the last time and that I would stop when I got back in time to feel normal for my wedding which at this point was about a week away. So as I'm sure you can guess that didn't happen I completely panicked about 4 days in trying to stop cold turkey the second time because I didn't want to feel like death for my own wedding. So I got a couple subs to last me a few days and took a piece on my wedding. My wife could obviously tell and was pretty upset because all she wanted on her wedding was for me to not be on anything. Well I'm lucky enough that she is the best wife ever and we got over it and are doing fine. Since then I haven't been able to stop but have tapered down to about a third a day of an 8 mg sub as I said before. Any advice on how to stop all together, benzo's are out of the question.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tikadoo
Best shot at stopping would be to continue to taper until you are at a tiny crumb. Not many of us get off without feeling crappy, could be a little crappy or allot crappy. Depends on how much you think about it.

You can't take just a little of any opiate because you have a meeting etc. you have to stick with it no matter what.

Search the forum for tapers. You will find some good information

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:56 pm 

Hey Tikadoo and welcome!

I second everything that Tiki just said 100%. The best way to get off sub imo would be to gradually decrease little by little until ur down to almost nothing at all. There's posts on this forum with ppl going down to unbelievable low doses. It can definitely be done and some still had to go through a bit of withdrawal and some say they were pretty much good with just a bit of low energy. That's the way I would do it, everyone is different. In ur case, having a hard time feeling bad and the relapse, I'd go as low as u can go before u stop again.

Be sure ur ready to stop, addicts cannot stop for anyone but ourselves. It doesn't mean we don't love our loved ones, it's only going to work if we are truly ready to surrender. I'm not saying ur not ready, it's just the relapse on the 30's is why I ask. But I think as long as u get ur dose as low as possible and u know that ur totally ready, u should be fine. Good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Tiki, sorry to hear about your struggles. Unfortunately a lot of us have been there. We have to get through our daily lives while fighting our addiction. You're very fortunate your wife understands and respects what you're going through.

I've been there too, trying to get through work and social functions while tapering. I discovered the only way for me to do it was by tapering and reducing my doses in such small amounts that I didn't fill the effects while lowering my dose.

I created myself a cutting guide and taper plan to follow. That got me down to .063mgs and then I jumped with barely any withdrawals (equivalent to a light cold over the course of a weekend). After that I was in the clear. You have to have your mind right and be dedicated before you get to that level though.

Since I put a lot of time into the cutting guide, I have put it up for sale for $9.99, but it's worth it. I don't like pitching my own product, but it has helped a lot of people and just wanted to make sure you knew there were options. Check out the video I created which shows you how to cut your film into small doses and that should help your progress. The website is http://www.rxfilmcuttingguide.com.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with the taper!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:24 am 

I can vouch for the cutting guide because I have the template. It takes all of the guess work out of the math. The cutting guide allows you to do a proper, slow taper, getting the same amount of bupe in each piece. Unfortunately, the cutting guide is only available for use with the film, not any of the generic pills.

I urge people who are struggling to lower their dose to try the cutting guide and report back to us.

Amy