It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Everyone,

I've recently been working hard on tapering my suboxone dose down to a acceptable daily dose.
My taper plan is to drop by 2mg every two weeks, so far it has been going very smoothly all things considered.

When I began my taper I was at 24mg daily for almost 3 years, I am now at 10mg daily and I am working with my doctor to taper down to 2mg in the next two months.

Usually I will begin to feel very slight withdrawal symptoms the first 3-4 days after my dose drop afterwards it seems to balance out and I feel good again.
I feel like I am beginning to reap the rewards from my taper, as I feel much better then when I was on 24mg a day. Also my libido is starting to come back which is fantastic!!

So with that said, I have a few questions to people who have tapered off subs or who are currently tapering.

1) A couple months ago my doctor did blood tests and found that my testosterone was very low. So he put me on andro-gel which i felt great the first couple days but after I felt as if I had "crashed". So I stopped the andro-gel and I am feeling better. My question is will my test levels increase naturally the lower I taper my subs?

2) For people who have tapered down from a higher dose, What are the benefits you notice?

3) I am also on Remeron (30mg) and my plan is to bring my sub dose down to 2mg per day and begin to taper my remeron. Is this a good plan?

4) I heard that the real taper begins when you get to 2mg and less per day, is this true?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and any advice you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

-R3hab

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:22 pm 

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can shed some light on a couple.

It is typical for people on sub to have a fairly easy time tapering to 2mg. I started at 16 mg, dropped to 8mg within a month, then 6mg, then 5, 4, 3, 2mg. When I got to 6 mg I noticed that some joint pain that I had that started when I started sub went away completely. I went fairly slowly after I got down to 6 mg. I spent a month on 6, a month on 5, and a month on 4. I don't really remember feeling much withdrawal at all up until that point. I felt a little bit of withdrawal going to 3mg and then to 2mg. I think I may have stayed on 3mg for 6 weeks. I've been at 2mg (or the Zubsolv equivalent) since 2013.

It is true that most sub users notice more withdrawal symptoms if they taper below 2 mg. At 2 mg you are still on a substantial amount of opiate though. Anyone who tries to step off sub at 2 mg will experience significant withdrawal symptoms that last several weeks (lessening in severity over time).

You are welcome here!

My Great Aunt Mary had a sign in her guest room:

You are welcome here,
Be at your ease.
Get up when you're ready,
Go to bed when you please.
Happy to share with you such as we've got,
The leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot.
You don't have to thank us,
or laugh at our jokes.
Sit deep and come often,
You're one of the folks.

That sign now hangs in my house since Aunt Mary is gone. I'm not sure why I included it, but sit deep and come often, you're one of the folks!

Amy