It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I've been a lurker on the forums but decided to register because of what I have heard today. I've been on suboxone tablets for a year and half and last friday I called in my refill per usual. My insurance (medicare part D) said a doctor's authorization was required so I waited until Monday to call my doctor because of the weekend. Well my doctor calls the insurance to give the ok and they said they will only authorize the prescription for the film (which they did not tell me friday when this whole debacle began). They said that the suboxone tablet is removed from the formulary because at the end of this month it will no longer be manufactured in tablet form. Has anyone heard about this?? I received NO notice about any such decision. On sunday my pharmacy filled four tablets to tide me over (my refill was due to be filled on friday but I was lucky enough that I had a couple left over from when I felt I didn't need as much that day) until the insurance was taken care of. Now the pharmacist tells me that not only do they have to order the film because they don't have it in stock but that I will not be reimbursed because the insurance will only approve the film. I am out almost $70!!! I'm not happy about taking the film because I have read the side effects it can give and I have never been on the film the whole time I've been sober. I've done well on the tablet and my anxiety level has been through the roof today about this news. How can this happen?? Can someone please tell me if what my insurance company is saying is true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's nothing on the internet showing this to be factual...that I can seem to find.

This seems to come up every few months, but I seriously doubt they'll stop making it ..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know for me, the tablets went non-formulary and I have to pay more for the tablets myself. Now it wouldn't surprise me if RB TRIED to take them off the market. They've been pushing those fucking strips since they came out. They want EVERYONE on the strips in case another manufacturer comes up with a suboxone generic. That way everyone will already be on the strips and won't want to switch back to tablets, even if a generic suboxone comes out. At least that's my theory.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything about the tablets being discontinued either. But believe me, if they do, I'll throw a fit myself as well. I wouldn't put SHIT past RB though.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went to the film by choice, but my doctor told me if they didn't make a good fit just to let him know and he would gladly put me back to the pill form. I was going to mention it last visit, but I forgot when I got caught up in the Subutex talk with him and didn't remember to mention it...

I have always had to pay non-formulary prices for both the pill and film form of Suboxone..since I started and got insurance...it mostly depends on the policy that you have...but I've always paid the highest copay ...no matter which I was taking at the time. It's $80 capped for pill, $80 capped for the film

(my insurance says that on non-Formulary, I'll pay up to, but not over $80 per prescription after a $0 deductible each calender year. The insurance picks up and covers the other $480 aside from my $80 out of pocket)

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies! I also searched all day online yesterday about what the insurance was telling me and I only found a half sentence that they will "no longer be manufactured beginning June 2012 due to their patent..." It was a preview of a website and when I clicked on it I couldn't find out anything else. I've been arguing with them for two days and they are insisiting it's true. The best I could get from them is to try the film and if it doesn't work, my doctor can call and have them review it but it's probably not worth it because in June I will have to go on the film anyway. I've just been an anxiety filled mess and I have been throwing a fit over this. I can't seem to get it through to them that I prefer the tablet because it easier for me to manage. The only good news is my pharmacist (bless his heart) made the insurance override the tablets I was given so I didn't have to pay full price for them. I have to admit, I'm REALLY angry about this. They give no notice and they just expect me to be ok with them changing my treatment plan? Is there anything good about the film? I liked the tablet because I can divide it into fours (that's how I've weaned myself down this past year and half), and the taste doesn't bother me. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the film but I gotta admit, it's not working :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I take the film and it works fine for me. I've never taken the tablets though. The films are easy to cut in half, in fourths, and even eighths. I haven't gone lower than that though. But it seems to me the films would be easier to cut into the correct dose than the pills. I have a pill splitter, but once a pill is cut in fourths, it's hard for me to cut them any more without getting a lot of crumbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I prefer the films over the pills any day.. The films are dissolved MUCH quicker, I think they taste better, and I read somewhere that the absorption rate is actually higher.. I don't know anything about side effects with the films that aren't also there with the pills- but that doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I don't know about them..

Give the films a shot before you get upset (well, more upset then you already are), you might decide they'll work out good for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really appreciate the advice and replies :) . I'm really glad I found this forum because as much as my family is awesome they don't understand completely what it's like to recover from opiates. I didn't know the films could be cut like that so that does make me feel a bit better. Even with the tablets I cut them because a "larger" dose made me sick. I'm not a fan of change (I'm working on it :) ) but what made me SO angry was just having this kind of "sprung" on me (plus the feeling I get that my insurance is lying to me about the tablets "no longer being manufactured at all"). I pick up the film in an hour so I'm hoping it works out for the best (I've been telling myself this is probably happening for a reason so I need to accept it) and when July comes around I'll find out if those insurance reps were telling the truth or if they just changed their formulary. I'm hoping the option of tablet or film is always available to people so they can decide what works best for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

+1 for the film for me too. I was on the tablets for a year or more. My doctor did just like johnathans and gave me the option to go back after trying the films, no thanks - I like them for the same reasons already mentioned. And as far as cutting them, they are so much easier to cut than the tablets it's not even funny, great for tapering, I would be lost on the tabs. And for me they were stronger or just have better absorption, I needed less after the switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've also heard other people say they need less mgs after switching to the films. Maybe because the films absorb better? You never know crystale2, you just might find that you like the films better. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's weird.

I tried the film, and had a really nasty experience. What's strange is it wasn't just me. According to my doctor, every patient who tried the film (he has many patients) said they disliked it and asked to go back on the tablets.

I get the feeling that in Australia, maybe there were some issues with manufacturing initially? Because it really did feel like there was a lot of naloxone that time I tried the film. I suffered headaches, edgyness, mild precipitated withdrawal symptoms for the first couple of hours after dosing. The headache lasted through the day, but later in the day I definitely felt a bit stoned. The "stronger" feeling / feeling buzzed actually made me consider staying on the film, but that was my addiction talking.

According to the pharmacist, only one patient stayed on the film after trialling it, everyone else went back to the tablets. And there'd be 15-20 people who get dosed from that pharmacy.

People are right when they say you absorb more buprenorphine with the film. 8mg's of the film is roughly equivalent to 10-11mg of the tablets. I think you absorb 25% more buprenorphine, but up to 40% more naloxone.

More bioavailability isn't necessarily a good thing, because high dose means a higher tolerance means more dependence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got headaches for the first couple weeks on the films too. I started spitting out the saliva after it absorbed, which I learned here on this forum, and they went away significantly. I did that for a while, but after about a month of doing that, I stopped spitting it out, and I don't get the headaches anymore. Maybe I just had to get used to it?

Anyway, I've never tried the tabs, so maybe I like the films because I don't know any difference. :?

Either way, they are doing their job and keeping my cravings away, so I don't mind continuing with the films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, it's the second day and I gotta admit I'm not quite a fan of the strips yet. I stayed with my mom the first day (just in case anything bad happened) and I've had an incessant headache ever since. Not bad enough to really put me down but there enough to bother. I can't even describe the taste but it's pretty bad (in my opinion :)) and I have to concentrate on not gagging. BUT they are so much more incredibly easy to cut and, if not for the few minutes of that taste ( what is THAT?), I like how quickly it absorbs. I have noticed I get a little dizzy following the absorption and I get a little jittery but that's probably because of what you all mentioned about the medicine absorbing quicker. I'm just going to stick it through and by the end of the month (when it becomes known if those reps were lying) I'll either be used to the strips and won't want the tablets or something else can be worked out where I can go back to them if the strips don't work out. But I'm doing my best to give them a fair shot :D Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Darn, I meant to type I like how much more quickly the film DISSOLVES, not absorbs. That was one thing I didn't care about with the tablets. It felt like it would be under my tongue forever, so that's a plus for the film :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did anyone's doctor actually reduce their dose when they switched to the film?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i get 2 8mg films, 75 soma, and 60 2mg xanax, but he says anymore than 2 subs a day u just piss out.. hes a liar, ive seen people get 120

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I haven't heard any information about the Suboxone Tablet not being manufactured anymore. I would like to know if there is any validity to that.