It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My doc recently prescribed a drug called Vistaril(hydroxizine) for cyclical sleep disturbances. I must say that I experience TA(inner restlessness)immediately. I was wondering if anyone knows if reactions of this sort can happen while taking suboxine. My psychiatrist, not my suboxine doc was the prescriber. Is there anything ok to take for sleep on an occasional basis? Anyone else have problems with different meds coupled with the sub.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Your subs doc will know better what works for sleep and compliments your subs med. I too had same problem and asked for 8-10 diazapam per mo but he refused. Gave me 50mg seroquil instead which I didn't want or like... but works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:14 am 
Hi everyone! I'm going to answer the question from a couple of different angles.
As a former nurse - I worked a lot with pregnant women, many of whom were the most complex of cases. So basically, one of the more "delicate" of patient populations. We gave them 5-10mg of Ambien for sleep quite often. We also gave good ole Benedryl (IV or by mouth) and on occasion we gave Phenergan (usually by mouth as can be quite caustic to the vein given IV and stings like bitch!).
Obviously that has nothing to do with Suboxone or addicts. Okay, I did take care of a few pregnant addicts in my day also. For sedation for those gals, usually what was ordered was an opiate of some kind because we weren't a detox ward and you wouldn't detox a pregnant woman cold-turkey anyway. We could only give them opiates within a 'normal' dose range which wasn't crap for them of course, so they'd be pretty antsy most of the time. What the doc usually ordered for them was Vistaril. Doc said it was "safer" than most of the other alternatives and he didn't want to give them Benzos, so it was pretty much around the clock Vistaril and Ambien at bedtime.
So the Vistaril your doctor ordered, in my opinion, isn't too off the wall. But apparently it doesn't agree with you somehow. That happens - drugs that work pretty well for some, don't work at all for others.
I don't really understand why they don't write more for a few Ambien or Lunesta. I guess there is abuse potential there, but if they're given in very limited quantities I don't see what the big deal is. I took Ambien A LOT for a while (working nights) and had zero trouble giving it up. It works great, in my opinion. But I'm afraid once we wear the label "addict" we're screwed as far as getting anything potentially addictive. Unless you've got a real understanding doctor who's willing to take a chance.
I know benzos work super good for sleep also, but the abuse potential there is way too high to get started on those for an occasional sleep disturbance, in my opinion. And apparently in the opinion of a lot of Sub docs.
I know it sounds lame but Benedryl works pretty good for a lot of people, myself included. 50mg usually is enough. Tylenol PM or Advil PM is just your benedryl/tylenol mix or benedryl/advil mix. Give that a try, maybe it will help a bit.
If you have Phenergan (promethazine) on hand, 25-50mg of that works real good for a lot of people too. It is a Rx for nausea.
Just some thoughts.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Springer 10 and Sleep
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:43 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

My Psycharist has me taking 300mg ( 1-150mg pill twice a day )of a drug called Trileptal to help me sleep. He believes all the other sleep aids are addictive, and you'll keep needing more to do the same job. Sleeping issues caused me to fall in love with Tramadol.. I'm a little tired in the morning, but coffee gets me going. I also NEED 2mg of Suboxone per day. Sleep is a very important thing for me. Everyone is different , Good Luck, Mike