It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone vs subutex
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi I'm new to this forum but I have a few questions. I've been on suboxone for about 2.5 months now. I've had great success with it, except for one major thing. My fingers no longer work properly, they stick down and pop when they finally do unbend. They are very painful and mildly swollen, this happens everyday, it's at it's worst in the morning, but I've found it happens even if I lay down and take a short nap also. My knees are also having the same problem, they are slightly swollen, and don't want to bend properly and pop frequently. My leg muscles are very weak and most mornings I can barely even walk. I feel like I'm 90 years old, and I'm only 36! I didn't have any of these issues till I started taking Suboxone. I read somewhere that the Naloxone can cause these problems, however I have no clue whether or not thats accurate. Maybe someone can help me out? Can a persons Suboxone Doc also prescribe Subutex? Just wondered in case it was the Naloxone causing my problems! Thanks for ANY input!

Post subject: Re: suboxone vs subutex
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum BKGaremy! I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties, but maybe it's not the Suboxone at all? Is it possible you could be experiencing some other health issues not related to the subs that you aren't aware of? I think if it were me I would be making an appointment with my personal physician, and/or my sub doctor as well to hopefully get to the bottom of the problem.

Many people believe every problem is related to subs in one way or another and that's simply not true all the time. And as far as I know the Naloxone that is added to Suboxone hasn't caused any of those kind of problems in anyone that I personally have every heard of. Naloxone is put in Suboxone to deter abuse of this drug, but occasionally some people do have issues with it and usually that is a kind of allergic reaction that causes mild sickness, or tummy problems. I'm no doctor, and I would be asking my own to give me a thorough check-up or physical with blood work to see if there was something else going on. That may reveal whether it's sub related or not.

Of course it's entirely possible it's the Suboxone that is the issue, but if it is, it's extremely rare. And yes, your Suboxone doc can also prescribe Subutex if they choose. Most won't hand it out that frequently unless it's for pregnancy, or proven problems with the Naloxone, or the doctors personal choice for each individual patient.

Maybe someone else here has answers for you and I'm sure if they do you can expect them to post soon.

Please let us know what you find out when and if you get with your doctor. I'm very curious what the issue may be. I hope you get to feeling better real soon. Take care and best wishes to you!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Joint pain and swelling is not unheard of, it is possibly a more rare side effect but considering how many people talk about it, it seems to be one none-the-less. Here is something I found online:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/suboxone/finger+swelling

What dose are you on?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW Tiny that's very interesting reading! Thank you so much for that link. I had no idea of the potential. Alarming to know it's a POSSIBILITY of actually being the cause of this members issues! The learning continues!

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im on subutex due to naloxone sensitivity (have been 3 years) and when I was at first on suboxone my side effects were stomach ache/headache/nausea type effects that persisted and were like clockwork when I dosed. If you do not have any of these type of effects accompanying your joint pain symptoms than I would probably guess that its not a naloxone reaction. Obviously Im not a doctor just a person on maintenance with some personal experience so take what I say with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ I would agree that it could be more likely that it's from buprenorphine (and opiates in general) rather than naloxone. It doesn't seem like it gets reported in just naloxone patients, but I'm no doctor either. Also is reported from people who are on higher doses a lot of the time. I've also read that it tends to get better after time.