It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone or Subutex???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have my induction next week and my doctor is actually giving me the choice if I want Suboxone Or Subutex. I have been researching and I know the difference between the two drugs.I know suboxone contains nalxone and subutex does not. After reading quite a few people complaining about some pretty adverse side effect from"suboxone" I'm honestly leaning more toward subutex.

Does suboxone really effect most peoples moods in this way? Severe depression? anger? Subutex does not have this side effect? Anyways to help make my decision a little easier I would like to hear your experiences the pros and cons of Suboxone and Subutex. Side Effects you have had?

I was also told the generic for subutex might not work as well? If I decide to get on Suboxone or Subutex should I not use the generics for these drugs? :?

Thanks for reading -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Everyone is different, but overall, both suboxone and subutex should perform the same. Is the doctor giving you that choice ONLY for the induction or is he letting you choose which one you'll stay on? Subutex is available as a generic and is cheaper, especially if you have no insurance.

I've never heard anything about those alleged side effects from suboxone. Very rarely someone is allergic to something like the artificial sweetener in suboxone, but like I said, that's rare. Occasionally people do get headaches supposedly from the naloxone. They remedy that by spitting out instead of swallowing after the pill dissolves. There's also the new suboxone film that was just released on the market. Alot of people here on the forum have tried it and are pleased. There's a $75 coupon/card floating around out there, too.

Lastly, I take suboxone and have none of those effects you've described.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for respondng hatmaker :O)

My doctor is letting me choose which one I will stay on. I do have insurance.I will prob go with which ever will be cheaper.I hope to have some responses for people who might have tried both during their treatment and see which they recommend.I won't be able to use the film seeing as my doc says it's new and she is not farmilar enough with it to prescribe it for me.Maybe later down the line I can switch. Yes,I had read that the naloxone in suboxone cause a lot of people to have depression and mood swings which scared me.

I know each person is different though. I think personally I would rather go on subutex since I don't feel the need for the naloxone there is no way I will be trying to abuse this medication. I am so eager to get clean thats all i want right now! I havent even been anwsering my dealers calls which is huge for me.Its so scary cuz I have all these past connestions calling me people I havent heard from in a long time.It's like a test!! I have a small amount of oxys enough to keep me "well" until my induction and that is all.I don't want to waste another penny of my money towards this horrid drug.

If you could choose yourself would you choose Suboxone or Subutex? This question is for anyone.Also have any of you felt a difference with the generics brands?-Thanks again to all who take the time to reply.This helps me so much :]

hatmaker510 wrote:
Everyone is different, but overall, both suboxone and subutex should perform the same. Is the doctor giving you that choice ONLY for the induction or is he letting you choose which one you'll stay on? Subutex is available as a generic and is cheaper, especially if you have no insurance.

I've never heard anything about those alleged side effects from suboxone. Very rarely someone is allergic to something like the artificial sweetener in suboxone, but like I said, that's rare. Occasionally people do get headaches supposedly from the naloxone. They remedy that by spitting out instead of swallowing after the pill dissolves. There's also the new suboxone film that was just released on the market. Alot of people here on the forum have tried it and are pleased. There's a $75 coupon/card floating around out there, too.

Lastly, I take suboxone and have none of those effects you've described.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well, U sure have the right attititude towards things,but ya might want to think about changing ur #. That will be the first thing to take u down. Im surprised at how many people have said that their docs. are unfamiliar with the strips. seems a little odd to me, but whatever your choice, I wish U the best. U r on your way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it were me, I'd probably choose Subutex. I don't need the naloxone and it's available as a generic. Why get more than you need? The only thing to keep in mind is you might not want to tell people that you're on it...They'll be coming out of the wood work asking you for some - especially the subutex, since it can be injected.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Suboxone/Subutex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:54 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats on taking positive steps to change Ur life. I know for myself, it was very difficult to say goodbye to Oxy's. But, choosing to turn my life around, getting into thearapy, and beginning Suboxone treatment were some of the best and most important descisions I've ever made.
I took Suboxone for about 14months. I asked my doctor to switch me to Subutex because Im pregnant (supposed to be better for the baby because it dosen't have the Naloxone). The Suboxone worked WONDERFULLY for me. The only crappy side effect I experienced from it was headaches, which I avoided by just spitting out the leftover saliva after the tab had completely dissolved and after I was certain it had been in my mouth for @ least 30min.
When I got my Subutex filled I went w/generic because its alot cheaper. Thankfully my pharmacy only had 30 in stock, because I had a bad experience w/the generic. My 1st dose, I FELT NOTHING. My second dose, I actually got sick and felt really strange. When I went back to get the other half of my script I had the pharmacy give me brand Subutex instead. The brand was similar 2 Suboxone. But, from having used all three, I prefer Suboxone. I feel like its more potent and I also feel it helps with my neck/back pain better. Also, where I live (in Louisiana) a script of sixty 8mgSuboxone tabs are about $440, the brand 8mgSubutex is $625.
I hafta do whats best for my baby right now, but after birth, I plan to go back on Suboxone. Lemme know what you decide to go with. Im sure Im just one of the few unlucky people for which the generic just didn't work. Really dosen't make much sense tho, b/c by law a generic med has 2 have the exact same active ingred. as the brand. Also, like I said, the generic is much cheaper than brand Subutex or Suboxone. So its a real bummer it didn't work 4 me. Again, congrats on Ur awesome life change!

Post subject: Choice
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. First you are very lucky that your doctor is giving you a choice........most sub docs that I have researched want you on suboxone due to the fact that there are many that abuse subutex........injecting and snorting. I started on suboxone and my first doctor after about 9 mos switched me to subutex (generic) basically he did this because we developed a trust relationship......UA's every month....pill counts.etc.. Like most sub docs he did not take insurance and at the time generic subutex was selling for $1.50 ea at Sam's Club. Obviously much cheaper than $8 a pill for suboxone. With my insurance my month supply of subutex was now just $5.

The first week was an adjustment for me but once I was stable on 1 8mg tablet daily I saw no difference in the medicine. I made sure to get good absorption and never had any problems. A tip I learned on here was that if you rinse with warm salt water before taking your sub the absportion is much better and I could almost feel the medicine working within 20 minutes no cravings. I was lucky to take subutex for about 7 months with no significant side effects and the cost savings was very helpful.

Fast forward- I relocated to another state and contacted 28 doctors. I only found one that would prescribe subutex and take my insurance however it was a 3 month waiting period and then I had to reschedule which resulted in another delay of 2 months and I couldn't risk running out of my medicine. So I found a doctor and when I explained I had been on the sub program for awhile and brought my bottle in as requsted he went off about how I am really not on the suboxone program because subutex is so abused and does not contain naloxone and told me NO WAY are you getting subutex from me. Of course he sells suboxone out of his office at $8 a pill and believes any one unless you are a female that is pregnant should only be taking suboxone. So obviously I was in a pinch and switched back to suboxone. I really had no noticable difference by going back on suboxone other than a bigger co-pay. I will tell you that my doc told me that he met with the RB rep and that I would be switching to the strips next month due to abuse of suboxone and subutex (snorting and diversion). So I would say it is only a matter of time before your doctor gets the same speech and you get switched. With that being the case you may want to consider the suboxone because although some report headaches from the naloxone it is not something that will cause you tremendous grief as it metabolizes very quickly in your body with little or no side effects.

I am an addict who hates change if I was given the choice I would keep things the way they are. Other than cost suboxone or subutex worked and kept me from active addiction. I will of course take the strips and hope they work just as well as my suboxone pills do. Good luck with your descision and keep us up to date on what you do. Thanks.

Jim