It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys so I have treatment resistant depression (failed lots of stuff including ketamine and ect) but the one thing that did work was suboxone .5mg! But after one week it stopped working as good. Im still severely depressed after the initial effects wore off a bit, although on the suboxone i no longer feel emotionally pained and anguished thanks to it. I went up to 2mg suboxone but the depression didnt improve.
I am thinking that I should switch to naltrexone since its not addictive and there shouldnt be issues with tolerance (?) and it works well with treatment resistant depression. But im really scared of the suboxone withdrawal and dont want my depression to get horrible and for me to suffer ive already been through hell this depressive episode. Im afraid ill end up in the psych ward if i try to get off of suboxone to get onto naltrexone, but i feel that i have no other option since the suboxone stopped working at 2mg. I see my psychiatrist in two weeks and hes a dick and refuses to ever speak to patients through phone or email. Advice PLEASE?!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jenny, I think we've communicated before-- I am not familiar with the use of naltrexone for depression. Are there any studies showing success with naltrexone?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm 

Jenny, I wish I had any advice for you, but I just don't know enough about these two medications to help.

I'm wondering why naltrexone would even work in replacing the buprenorphine that is helping your depression a little. I don't know that they are interchangeable.

I hope someone else can answer your questions.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes here is one i will try to link the other ones ive read tomorrow:
https://www.google.com/patents/US5512593

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so basically the way low dose naltrexone works is it blocks the opiods for a short period of time then the brain overproduces opiods when it notices this.
Any info on switching from suboxone to naltrexone or what to do when subux stops working for depression?!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on naltrexone a couple of times and I didn't notice it had any antidepressant effects at all. I don't think it's where your answers lie. It's a real stab in the dark.

I know how it feels to search for something to relieve acute depression, to pin all your hopes on something only to have to keep looking. But I think any help will be found in the more conventional drugs that were created with depression in mind ie the SSRIs, SNRIs, lithium, brintellix, bupropion, maois, tca's. There's heaps of options to explore don't give up.