It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Started 1 mg suboxone under the tongue. Waited 26 hours after taking my last vicodin. I am very spacey, feel like my eyes are half open and dizzy/slightly nauseous. nyone else experience this?? Please share!

Post subject: Induction
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 pm 

Hi u2star and Welcome,

Can I assume you didn't go see a doctor? 1mg is not enough to do much good unless you were only taking a couple of Vics a day.

The way the Suboxone program is supposed to work is that the addicted person works with the Sub Dr. and is truthful on how many and how much drug abuse is going on. The Dr. then prescribes the appropriate dose and you go from there. Meaning, your induction should have taken place in a doctors office where they can establish your proper dose. If you needed more, you got more until the withdrawals ceased and the cravings stopped. It takes a couple of weeks to adjust to it.

So if you are self dosing, first tell us how many and what your were taking. But we are not doctors and really shouldn't give advice for an illegal act. But we can give you some input that will help with dosing.

Understanding the cost of the program, you are not alone in what you're doing. That's why there is a black market need for Sub out there. I just wish they'd make it affordable for all so addicts wouldn't have to break the law trying to recover.

So tell us more about your situation and how much Sub do you have at your disposal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey u2star,

In addition to what Rule62 said, I would like to ask if you're sure you only took 1mg of Suboxone?? Feeling like your eyes are only half open and dizzy/slightly nauseous almost sounds like you took a little too much Suboxone, but 1mg is not a high dose of Suboxone. I guess I'm just a little confused.

It'd be great if you could give us some more info.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Sub. Side effects reply
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your replies!! It is helpful and reassuring to know someone cares. Shortened version: Have been on Vicodin 5/325 mg for 2 years (my max dose was 25 mg daily spread throughout the day) I guess it didn't take much to get me high! But-I know my dosage was needing to be increased to get the high so sometimes i would take a larger amount at once but tried to keep my total dose around 25mg because that is all the pills I could legally get and find.
Anyway-I did see a doctor in his office. He wrote the script and told me to do 1 mg under the tongue every other day (gave me 5 pills) . I didn't care for him at the start. He was so narcissistic and was in a hurry. I felt he saw me as another number in his office-no compassion.
Anyway, as I stated, i waited 26 hours since my last 25mg pill and took the dose under tongue this a.m. Produced lots of saliva but tried to keep it there. i know i did alot of swallowing-could that have done anything? I must have absorbed some of it because I still feel awful. (off balance, nauseous, spaced-out).
Contacted the dr who i just saw 2 days ago and asked if he would call in some Zofran for the nausea. He said, "well, I would have to see you". I couldn't believe it. I said, "I just took the suboxone and am nauseous/motion making it worse" I just need something for nausea. He said well I still need to see you. unbelievable. He wanted the money for another office visit. I told him I could come when I could get a ride but it would be after hours and he said I can't see you today. he is fired.

Any suggestions????? Ideas? This really sucks. I felt better when in vicodin withdrawal.

Diane

Thank you for your support and comments.

Post subject: another thing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I forgot to say, I did not do suboxone in his office-he just wrote the script and had me fill at pharmacy. I had the 2mg pills and cut with a knife. Tried to get a half but it was pretty crumbly.

Post subject: other info
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also have dry mouth and dry nose (not runny like it was before but really dry and I can breathe better??)
Was really hot and sweaty about an 1 and half after I took it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey again u2star,

Thanks, that info helps a lot!!

OK, I am NOT trying to downplay your addiction/dependence to opiates, not at all, but you were on a pretty low dose of Vicodin.....WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!

Now I'm understanding why such a low dose of Suboxone is kicking your ass. Suboxone is a powerful opiate, as you're finding out. The "eyes are only half open and dizzy/slightly nauseous" thing is pretty common to many who are just starting out on Suboxone, especially if they took a bit too much. The good news is that your body will adjust to the Suboxone fairly quickly, usually a few days.

Seeing as how 1mg is hitting you so hard, you could always try breaking that 2mg pill into 4 pieces and only take .5mg. I used to use "wire cutters" to snip my pills in half, then into quarters.

You also asked about swallowing the saliva, that would only have lessened the effect of the Suboxone. Suboxone is absorped poorly in the stomach.

I'm sorry you feel so crumby right now, but seeing as you took that dose this am, the nausea should be wearing off before too long.

One more thing, if you can't get your pills broken into small enough doses, you could always take that 1mg dose then spit everything out after 2 or 3 minutes. That way you won't get full absorption.

Post subject: Thank you!!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hey again u2star,

Thanks, that info helps a lot!!

OK, I am NOT trying to downplay your addiction/dependence to opiates, not at all, but you were on a pretty low dose of Vicodin.....WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!

Now I'm understanding why such a low dose of Suboxone is kicking your ass. Suboxone is a powerful opiate, as you're finding out. The "eyes are only half open and dizzy/slightly nauseous" thing is pretty common to many who are just starting out on Suboxone, especially if they took a bit too much. The good news is that your body will adjust to the Suboxone fairly quickly, usually a few days.

Seeing as how 1mg is hitting you so hard, you could always try breaking that 2mg pill into 4 pieces and only take .5mg. I used to use "wire cutters" to snip my pills in half, then into quarters.

You also asked about swallowing the saliva, that would only have lessened the effect of the Suboxone. Suboxone is absorped poorly in the stomach.

I'm sorry you feel so crumby right now, but seeing as you took that dose this am, the nausea should be wearing off before too long.

One more thing, if you can't get your pills broken into small enough doses, you could always take that 1mg dose then spit everything out after 2 or 3 minutes. That way you won't get full absorption.

*****Romeo-Thank you so very much. You not only helped but are the first person who said "I am sorry you are feeling so bad right now" I sure do appreicate your information and compassion. I am so glad to have found this site and helpful people like you.

I would be happy to help with anything too if I can. An ear to listen is about what I can do. I am still learning. :)

Post subject: side effects
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Since doctor wouldn't give me anything for nausea I have some ginger tea-hope it helps. This really sucks. My whole body feels like crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi u2star and welcome. I, too, am sorry you're not feeling well. It sucks that your first experience with suboxone has gone so poorly. But I do have to give credit to your doctor, even if his bedside manner sucked. He knew enough to know that your habit wasn't a "big" one (so to speak), and only gave you 1 mg. There are doctors out there that could have and would have given you 8 mg or more! So at least there's that.

I agree that you have too much suboxone in your system - it's too strong for your tolerance. But as was said, it will pass and in the future you can take smaller doses.

Oh and don't fire your doctor until you have a new one. Sometimes sub doctors can be hard to come by.

I hope you get some relief soon. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

u2star said, "I am still learning"......welcome to the club, we're gonna get some T-Shirts made up for all of us!! :lol:

Heck, I'm still learning too, even though I don't take Suboxone anymore, I still like to learn all I can about it. Bottom line, Suboxone enabled me to pull my arse out of active addiction, get my head screwed on straight (fairly straight LOL) and give me a shot at living totally drug free. Because of those things, I enjoy helping others do the same.

Thank you for thanking me, it made me feel good too.

That's cool that you're willing to help others too, you can just start nosing around some different threads and contribute in any way you see fit.

PS----your screen name.....are you a U2 fan.....you know, the music dudes??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry you're feeling so bad. As Romeo has pointed out, your body will adjust quickly to the suboxone, but did I read that right, that your doctor prescribed a quantity of 5 two milligram pills? Sheesh :roll:

I suppose he wants you to come back to his office when those run out as well, right?

You might want to find a different doctor.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

Post subject: Film
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:32 am 

u2star,

Now that we have all the information it makes sense taking the 1mg. That was smart of you to go see a doctor to help you through the process.

The only thing I would ask the doctor for is to be given the 2mg film instead of the pills. They are really easy to fold and cut into smaller exact doses.

Well, now you know just how strong Suboxone is. Please try to only take it for a little while and get off of it as soon as possible. You were taking a relatively small amount of Vicodins and you don't want to raise your tolerance with the Sub. Once you stabilize, talk to your doctor about tapering off.

Hope you start to feel better. We all know how bad opiate withdrawals are. You have my sympathy.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi u2star and welcome. I, too, am sorry you're not feeling well. It sucks that your first experience with suboxone has gone so poorly. But I do have to give credit to your doctor, even if his bedside manner sucked. He knew enough to know that your habit wasn't a "big" one (so to speak), and only gave you 1 mg. There are doctors out there that could have and would have given you 8 mg or more! So at least there's that.

I agree that you have too much suboxone in your system - it's too strong for your tolerance. But as was said, it will pass and in the future you can take smaller doses.

Oh and don't fire your doctor until you have a new one. Sometimes sub doctors can be hard to come by.

I hope you get some relief soon. Take care.

Thanks for the reply. I did think about that yesterday. I could have taken a larger dose and I would have really been knocked on my ass! So do you all think I should continue the suboxone? Obviously at a smaller dosage? How will I know what is withdrawal from the vicodin and the sub. side effects. Some of the side effects are the same-except for the off-balance and nausea. Next dose tomorrow. I feel better today but had the best sleep last night I have had in a long while.
I feel a bit "run-over". Even though my vicodin dose wasn't that high my 25 mg max dose was not getting me high anymore-I was so tempted to go up and I started dr. shopping to get more. That didn't work out as planned. So-decided to get off the poison which became like a dear friend to me. Anyone miss the taste of their opiates? I use to break mine up in my mouth to get it absorbed faster and make it easier to swallow. In some sick way-I miss that. I miss the high too but am not "craving" which is good. Could the sub really be helping that?

Thanks everyone!!!!! You truly are lifesavers.

Diane

Post subject: U2!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
u2star said, "I am still learning"......welcome to the club, we're gonna get some T-Shirts made up for all of us!! :lol:

Heck, I'm still learning too, even though I don't take Suboxone anymore, I still like to learn all I can about it. Bottom line, Suboxone enabled me to pull my arse out of active addiction, get my head screwed on straight (fairly straight LOL) and give me a shot at living totally drug free. Because of those things, I enjoy helping others do the same.

Thank you for thanking me, it made me feel good too.

That's cool that you're willing to help others too, you can just start nosing around some different threads and contribute in any way you see fit.

PS----your screen name.....are you a U2 fan.....you know, the music dudes??

Huge U2 fan Romeo! I met the lead singer Bono back in 2005. He signed a photo and gave me a kiss. Very sweet and humble man offstage!
I am so glad to have found this forum. It feel like I am in a 12-step meeting of sorts. The support and information is amazing. THANKS again everyone!!!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

junkie781 wrote:
Sorry you're feeling so bad. As Romeo has pointed out, your body will adjust quickly to the suboxone, but did I read that right, that your doctor prescribed a quantity of 5 two milligram pills? Sheesh :roll:

I suppose he wants you to come back to his office when those run out as well, right?

You might want to find a different doctor.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks junkie781. Yes, that was his plan I think-to get a many ofice visits as he can. Luckily it appears I will need a small amount which is good. Thanks for your reply. I am in search of a different doctor. I moved to Houston from Omaha, nebraska recently. Huge city with lots of sub. doctors (not why I moved by the way :)

Thanks for the well wishes-the same to you.

Post subject: Re: Film
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
u2star,

Now that we have all the information it makes sense taking the 1mg. That was smart of you to go see a doctor to help you through the process.

The only thing I would ask the doctor for is to be given the 2mg film instead of the pills. They are really easy to fold and cut into smaller exact doses.

Well, now you know just how strong Suboxone is. Please try to only take it for a little while and get off of it as soon as possible. You were taking a relatively small amount of Vicodins and you don't want to raise your tolerance with the Sub. Once you stabilize, talk to your doctor about tapering off.

Hope you start to feel better. We all know how bad opiate withdrawals are. You have my sympathy.

Rule62-Thank you for your reply. ALL of these replies are helpful and supportive. Thanks very much. Thanks for your sympathy. So nice to see how others can relate. Very helpful. Gives me hope for another day!

Post subject: Re: Film
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
u2star,

Rule62-Thank you for your reply. ALL of these replies are helpful and supportive. Thanks very much. Thanks for your sympathy. So nice to see how others can relate. Very helpful. Gives me hope for another day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rattle and Hum is one of the best albums ever. One of my fave's from that album is Bullet the Blue Sky.

So, you got to meet Bono, he signed a photograph and gave you a kiss.....you lucky dog. Not that I want a kiss from Bono, a handshake would suffice nicely!!

I used to dissolve my Lorcet (hydrocodone) in my mouth, swish it around for a few minutes then swallow. I used to crush my OxyContin with my front teeth then use my tongue to jam the pieces up against the roof of my mouth. I LOVED doing that, it became part of the "ritual" of getting high.

How ya feeling today?? Mostly normal??

As far as continuing your Suboxone, that's a pretty personal decision. Are you afraid you'll go back to using opiates if you stop Suboxone, if you are, then you should stay on Suboxone, in my opinion. Have you worked with an addiction counselor before, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check one out.

BTW, yes, Suboxone will eliminate your cravings because it's an opiate too, albeit a partial agonist (doesn't get you high).

Post subject: Running to Stand Still
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
Rattle and Hum is one of the best albums ever. One of my fave's from that album is Bullet the Blue Sky.

So, you got to meet Bono, he signed a photograph and gave you a kiss.....you lucky dog. Not that I want a kiss from Bono, a handshake would suffice nicely!!

I used to dissolve my Lorcet (hydrocodone) in my mouth, swish it around for a few minutes then swallow. I used to crush my OxyContin with my front teeth then use my tongue to jam the pieces up against the roof of my mouth. I LOVED doing that, it became part of the "ritual" of getting high.

How ya feeling today?? Mostly normal??

As far as continuing your Suboxone, that's a pretty personal decision. Are you afraid you'll go back to using opiates if you stop Suboxone, if you are, then you should stay on Suboxone, in my opinion. Have you worked with an addiction counselor before, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check one out.

BTW, yes, Suboxone will eliminate your cravings because it's an opiate too, albeit a partial agonist (doesn't get you high).

Romeo-

Your past gave me a much needed laugh. (the Bono handshake) Rattle and Hum was an amazing album and the film was very underated in my opinion. "Running to Stand Still" off of that was written in regards to Ireland's heroin problem.

Thanks for sharing your pill story. Can so relate. Looking for an addiction counselor and new doctor starting Monday. Was going to do Intensive Outpatient but do not like the doctor. I think I will try and stay on the suboxone-smaller dose starting tomorrow. I felt tired today but didn't feel as awful as yesterday-thanks for asking. No cravings either! Cannot believe how powerful that stuff is. keep in touch.