It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone & Soma
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Why does one of my drs have a problem with one dose of Soma daily and the other does not? I've heard of it can be abused but I don't find that to be true. All I know is that it works better then all the other muscle relaxers I've tried. I may have to suffer because some say it's abusable.

Post subject: Re: Suboxone & Soma
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:01 pm 

Sorry Frank,

You may need to find another doctor to prescribe it to you. Yes, it is a very abused drug. Combined with Hydrocodone/Oxycodone, etc; it gives a person a feeling like being drunk. Very doped up and out of it. At the end of my addiction cycle I was taking them with my Norco's. Maybe 8-12 Soma's a day combined with 12-18 Norco's along with 12+Tramadol & a few Xanax. I was one sick puppy.

On our 20th wedding anniversary I almost went face first into my plate of food at a very high scale restaurant. My wife seriously considered divorce on that date. Very embarrasing as I could not talk w/o slurring my speech. Luckily, I got clean off pain meds & Soma a short time later.

Your case is completely different than mine. Good luck with that very commonly prescribed drug.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
because some say it's abusable

It is abusable, which is why it is a DEA schedule 4 drug. It metabolizes to meprobamate, a schedule 2 drug that is very rarely used anymore. Periodically Soma comes up for review (it has been around since 1959) whether to reclassify it or take it off the market.
If one the doctors doesn't have a problem with it have them prescribe the Suboxone too. They invariably back away when I tell them to take over the Suboxone when they want to prescribe drugs that I feel are not appropriate and I don't agree with.
It can be a respiratory depressant and can be deadly when combined with alcohol and full agonists opioids.
The recommended dose of SOMA is 250 mg to 350 mg three times a day and at bedtime. The recommended maximum duration of SOMA use is up to two or three weeks.
From the package insert, it is not intended for chronic use anyway.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wisconsin medicaid no longer covers buprenorphine medications in patients taking Soma. The risk of overdose is very low in patients tolerant to buprenorphine, but are significant in patients taking buprenorphine for the first time. Othere have covered some of the problems with medication. Europe forced meprobamate off the market earlier this year because of those problems.