It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey All,

My name is James and I am 25 and I have been on sub now for about 2 years. All I can think about latley is getting past my 4mg hump. I have gotten a HUGE boost of confidence from this site and I am a little more confident now that I can quit. All my friends that I know that are on sub are currently taking a higher dosage than I am so I guess they are looking at me to see what I do and what worked/didn't work.
I'm off topic...Sorry.
I have been a smoker for about 4-5 years now and I smoke Methol's. I am starting to question whether or not smoking and sub are "dual triggers"... I say this because my current girlfriend of 7 mths is a cross coutry runner and I am an artist (when i'm not working...hehe) and she has been on my case about quitting. I DO think about quitting all the time. It stinks, kills, and is EXPENSIVE in WI. ($8+ a pack) But I have noticed that right after I take sub, (after it dissolves in my mouth) I smoke. I know that I used to take a small piece of sub just because my ciggs would "taste better" after the sub dissolved in my mouth. Now I remember when I was on my DOC (Oxy's) that I would SMOKE LIKE A CHIMNEY when I was high. I know that back in the 1800's they would prescribe heroin or something like it to people with asthma. I'm not a doctor but maybe someone including myself can try looking up if sub inhibits a reaction to the lungs or throat of some kind. But I do know FOR SURE that most of it is all psycological for me and in my head I beliece that sub makes smoking more enjoyable and smoking makes subs more enjoyable even though in reality it PROBABLY doesn't.

I really think, reguardless if sub is a trigger or not, for me if I quit smoking it will be that much easier to successfully complete my sub program.

If anyone has any info that can help me that would be GREATLY appreciated. Maybe some one out there has quit smoking and sub and has some feedback or advice. Anything will help me get past my 4 mg hump I've been stuck at for months now.

Thank You!
James S. Milwaukee, WI
P.S. I will be posting this in the side effect forum because I believe It applies to both...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 am 
I think smoking and Sub go together like smoking and regular opiates or smoking and drinking alcohol. If you're a smoker (even less-than-a-1/2 pack/day) I think it's going to be difficult to quit as long as you're still drinking or on any kind of opiate. I don't think it would be easy to quit at all during a Sub taper, although you may find that as you cut back your Sub dose, your smoking decreases as well.
On the other hand, if you're stable on Sub and plan to stay on it for several more months, not seriously weaning off right now, then maybe it would be a good time to start a stop-smoking program. I have spoken to people over the years who have been successful with all kinds of methods - cold/turkey, hypnosis, meds like Chantix, etc. I think you really have to be at a place in your life where you want to quit....period. You can't be wishy/washy about it at all and be successful. You really have to want to.
Don't push yourself too hard. Maybe at first you should set your eye on cutting way back. Like if you smoke a pack a day, try and cut back to half a pack.....only allow yourself to buy a pack every other day, no cartons. Maybe just start with something like that. Every cigarette less you smoke per day, the closer you'll be to quitting completely.
I know Matt2 has quit fairly recently,I believe with the help of Chantix. He is stable on Suboxone and not actively tapering to my knowledge though. You might PM him for some tips.
Good luck....you're right it stinks, kills and is expensive! Believe in yourself....that you will be able to quit soon!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been a smoker for since I was fifteen, and I'm 25 now. So, ten years. I would have to agree that opiates, subs included, make me smoke like a chimeny. Even after smoking for 6-7 years I was a half a pack a day smoker at most. Then when I started to really abused opiates I quickly became a pack a day smoker or more. I've been on subs for a little over a month now and about three weeks ago I got on the patch. I started on step one the 21mg patch. It really helps with the cravings a lot like subs work and it's cheaper than smoking if you are up in that pack a day range. A two week book of patches under $20 were I live. I did go through a pack of smokes in the first four days, but after that I just stopped. I think that alot of the reason I had to smoke those first couple of days was just the habit of the smoking action. It wasn't that my body craved more nicotine. It was my mind wanting something to do and smoking was a time of reflection in a lot of ways for me. I had gotten in the habit of turning my mind onto important and stressful issues while I was smoking a cigarette. Since I have broken that cycle I feel better. Instead of smoking and thinking I'm just doing things. I find myself to be much more productive.

I hope that you can find something that works for you. This is the second time I've used the patch. Last time I quit for 3 months in 2003. I hope it will be forever this time.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It's strange but for me the lower I tapered on subs the less I wanted to smoke. I always smoked like crazy while high on doc or alcohol...etc. So I guess [for me] less nicotine is a good benefit of taking low dose subs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply and I am pretty much convinced that if I stop smoking A. it will prove to me that I can quit anything I put my mind to and B. make it easier to quit sub. I know this a little "off topic" but does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as quitting goes...I have heard of Chantix and the patch but I want to do it cold turkey with the use of like gum or something. Also I realized once before when I unsuccessfuly tried to quit smoking that alot of my addiction to smoking was the oral fixation or the cigg in my hand between my fingers and the actual "FEEL" of the inhalation of smoke in my lungs...If anyone has any suggestions on how I can curb that at the same time while I quit that would be great...

I will be setting an EXACT date when I am going to STOP smoking all together because I hear that is one of the best ways to go about doing it...I'll keep every one posted on how quitting smoking/tapering down mg's on my sub is going...

As always THANKYOU EVERYONE who is taking the time to read/reply!!!!!!!!!
-James S. Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Milk & Cheeseheads:)~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would use the patch until that date. I'm just saying. I feel you on the oral fixation and the act of smoking. Get the patch it will help you cut down before your date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You might want to try hypnosis. My therapist says the more things we do to try to change a habit, the better our odds are at succeeding. You might also try behavior modification. Those are two things that you can do along with gum and cold turkey that should increase your odds of success.

Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.