It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone side effects
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Help please -- I have been on Suboxone for 10 days and it is a nightmare. My doctor is treating me with a one size fits all approach and from what I understand I am in the 20% of patients that experience these hard side effects. My doctor started me on 2 films per day. After the second day of that dose, I was nauseated and vomiting. I cut the dose in half and am still nauseated. My "one size fits all" doctor says he thinks I am in withdrawal and tells me to take 1/2 a film in the morning and a whole film at night. I am taking this dose and continue to be nauseated. Since I am a very private person it is difficult to discuss the side effects which also include constipation. My doctor did prescribe something for nausea. I take it although it puts me to sleep. Does anyone reading this have suggestions or advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum cajun cat lady!

What drug, how much, and how long were you taking it before starting Suboxone? My doctor also uses a cookie cutter approach to sub treatment. He wanted me to start on 24mg/day, but after researching subs for months before my induction, I decided that I didn't feel comfortable taking that amount, and probably only needed a small dose.

I only took 8mg/day to start with, and even that amount gave me nausea. My doctor also gave me an Rx for the nausea, but it didn't work. So I lowered my dose to 6mg by the end of the first week, and that helped a little. Then I lowered it even more, down to 3mg by the end of the 2nd week because I was still getting nausea and irritability. I did much better on a lower dose.

I did end up raising my dose and maintaining on about 4 to 5mg/day after that, but I could really tell a difference in the side effects within the first couple days of lowering my dose. You could try that, but everyone is different...some people feel better on a higher dose even if they didn't have too bad of a habit before...and some do best on a lower dose.

A lot of people would tell you not to play with your dose without consulting your doctor. My dr was fine with me adjusting my dose, but even if he wasn't, there was no way I was going to take 24mg/day when I felt fine on half a strip.

As far as the constipation, I didn't have a bowel movement for 9 days when I first got on sub. Drink TONS of water, and you might want to take a stool softener to make sure that it doesn't hurt when you finally do go. My doctor told me Colace was ok to take daily. Here is a thread that you can check out. It has a lot of suggestions: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=933

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble and that your doctor is being so stubborn. It does sound like s/he's using a one-size-fits-all approach and in my opinion that's just SO wrong. S/he is not attending to your unique needs and it's making you SICK.

I think based on your description, even w/o hearing what you were taking before (it'll be good if you still tell us that info), that you're probably on too high a dose. I know that leaves you in a bind - having to lower your dose yourself or listen to your doctor. It's a conundrum. So you have a choice here - listen to your doctor or lower your dose yourself (based solely on what you've said so far).

Maybe when we get more info from you we'll have more specific advice for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Tarus and moderator. I started Suboxone induction 11 days ago. Previously, I was taking between 5 and 9 Lortab a day for approximately a year. During the first visit to my doctor he said I would feel "nothing" in the way of side effects from withdrawal and I would feel great. What he didn't tell me is that I may be in the 2% of his patients who don't do really well on Suboxone. He started me out on 2 strips a day. After the first several days of nausea and vomiting I lessened the dose to 1/2 of that. I had to fight with my doctor for him to prescribe something for nausea. I am now taking 1/2 strip in the morning and a whole strip at night. This dose is o.k. most days. With regard to the other side effect, I feel as if I can't put another thing into my body without something going out. I know I would still be feeling bad and suffering the side effects, but I wish my doctor would have been more up front with me in the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

cajun cat lady wrote:
Thank you Tarus and moderator. I started Suboxone induction 11 days ago. Previously, I was taking between 5 and 9 Lortab a day for approximately a year. During the first visit to my doctor he said I would feel "nothing" in the way of side effects from withdrawal and I would feel great. What he didn't tell me is that I may be in the 2% of his patients who don't do really well on Suboxone. He started me out on 2 strips a day. After the first several days of nausea and vomiting I lessened the dose to 1/2 of that. I had to fight with my doctor for him to prescribe something for nausea. I am now taking 1/2 strip in the morning and a whole strip at night. This dose is o.k. most days. With regard to the other side effect, I feel as if I can't put another thing into my body without something going out. I know I would still be feeling bad and suffering the side effects, but I wish my doctor would have been more up front with me in the beginning.

taking that amount of sub for 5-9 lortabs a day is like replacing a pocket knife with an atomic bomb ...

YOU felt sick because were taking Way too much .. and sky rocketing your tolerance..

for a habit like that.. 1mg of sub would of probably held you fine.....

I would seriously consider tapering fast unless u plan on replacing your hydro addiction with a much stronger addiction to sub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6606

click on the first question where he answers the question about taking suboxone for codeine.. its not hydro but basically is what I'm talking about

Post subject: Side Effects
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much to those who pointed me in the right direction. I had an appointment yesterday with an Internest who was so helpful. I am now on 2mg. dose of Suboxone per day. I will trend down from that dose with the goal of being off of Suboxone in 3 weeks. I feel so much better already. This forum is invaluable and I feel very blessed to have gotten great advice. My advice to others -- if you feel you are getting a one size fits all treatment and it isn't working get another opinion. For the first time I feel HOPE and see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again to all who were so willing to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Cajun, I am glad that you got some good advice. I am wondering how you trend down from 2mg of subox? It is such a small amount to begin with. Can you go into a little more detail on that? I am presently on 8mg per day, down from 16mg per day and would like to come off sub completely. But, I am afraid to go to a much lower dose than what I am on right now for fear of having a relapse as I have some cravings now on 8mg per day.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your doctor is a retard.

I was thinking today how ridiculous it would be to give someone who smokes 5 light cigarettes a day a full strength nicotine patch meant for someone who smokes 2 packs a day. They'd get SICK as FUCK.

It is NO DIFFERENT for Suboxone.

You may be feeling sick, but what may be happening is you are on such a high dose for your tolerance that if you stay on this dose long enough that your body starts to adjust to it, you will end up significantly more dependent on opioids than before you started.

I'm not a Sub doctor, but it's probably better to err on the side of caution. You can always adjust a dose up, but once a person's tolerance adjusts to their new dose it's very hard for it to go down.

I'd suggest finding another doctor .... Or just take a lot less than you're prescribed until you stop feeling sick, then present yourself to your doc saying you've been taking less because you've felt too intoxicated.

Only an extremely inept doctor would see symptoms of opioid overdose as withdrawal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TJ is right. As I said before, I was taking double the amount you were taking cajun cat lady, and for twice as long (and that isn't even a whole lot compared to some people), and I only needed half of an 8mg strip, but my doctor prescribed 24mg/day! That was obviously a one size fits all dose, and I knew that I didn't need that much. 2mg or even 1mg probably would have been fine for you to start with.

You probably made your tolerance go way up in the short time you have been on subs, because your doctor didn't know what he was doing. The longer you do that, the more your body will become accustom to it, and then you have an even bigger problem/tolerance than you started with. I can't believe how ignorant some doctors can be about subs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just re-read my post. It was quite "passionate". Sorry about that. I really don't like bagging out medical professionals, but this is something I have strong feelings about. :?