It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been off and on suboxone for 8 years and noticed that whenever my dose is higher (12 mgs a day and up) my teeth and lately the bones in my hands feel as though they are weakened. Medical professionals insist that opiate replacements like methadone and buprenorphine don't affect the bones and they explain tooth decay away by saying dry-mouth leaves the teeth vulnerable. I don't believe them. I believe it is in their best interests to say whatever it takes to keep me hooked on their prescriptions.

Can anyone enlighten me on their firsthand experiences in these areas? I am considering taking calcium supplements to regulate my bone and tooth health while i taper back down to 2mgs. a day where i feel most comfortable and have little to no side effects.

p.s. any feedback from other recovering addicts or similarly affected but most importantly HONEST individuals is welcome. Thank You

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:12 pm 

Hey RS,

There are a couple of reasons why your post hasn't received any responses. 1) Tooth decay from Suboxone has been talked about here for years and there is still no proof of correlation. 2) There may not be any HONEST recovering addicts here!

Kidding aside, if you click on Side Effects and go back a bit you'll find a couple of threads talking about it. If you can't find them, ask, and I'll put the URL in my response from one of them. The last post I remember was that someone said he and his dentist were going to file a lawsuit. Good luck with that one because they have no proof to back up their claim.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Suboxone doesn't cause tooth decay, it is simply that there is no proof. And then there is the numerous amount of people here who say their teeth are fine after years of being on Sub.

I am curious though. What was the intent of saying only HONEST people should reply? Just askin'.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have personal proff for myself at least. I was on suboxone for four years the first year my dental health was normal. Than as time went on my dental health got increasingly worst. I never had a cavitie in my life and my diet didn't change on suboxone and I had a total of five cavities my last three years on it. My dentist also notice a difference in my gums and I had much more plaque build up too. Also my teeth were becoming more yellow over time, I had my teeth whitend twice bc of it. Another huge problem was canker sores not only in the usual spot but I was getting canker sores between my bottom teeth which hurt like a bitch. and I was developing gingivitis on top of everything.

Now on to the proof since stopping suboxone my dentist and I have noticed a huge chage with my dental health. My teeth are whiter I no longer get canker sores knock on wood and there are no signs of any gingivitis. So you tell me that's not proof!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

THAT'S NOT PROOF! Just kidding Bboy! :) I don't know and I'm just throwing this out there but weren't you quite young when you went on Suboxone, like under twenty years old? My dental health changed a bit between my teen years and my early twenties too. Again, I don't know just the first thing I thought of.

Travis

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hey Travis,

Good to see you posting again here. Don't be a stranger dude.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:59 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Rule! I've been really busy as of late but still have been pretty well keeping up with everything here!

Travis

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.