It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone set backs!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

A close friend suggested this forum as a sort of online group. So far I'm absolutely loving it and feeling more confident than ever. A quick bio before I get into my set backs with being prescribed suboxone. I went to an intense rehab center about a year and a half ago, there I was introduced to suboxone. When I left I relapsed in about a week, binged for a month then went back on suboxone (which I obtained elsewhere and not from a doctor) I've been on 8mg strips now. Tomorrow morning is my first doctor appt for my own script of suboxone (which I'm so thankful for, suboxone has truly and honestly saved my life). My only concern is... The place I'm going to requires weekly groups, which I am not a fan of at all. I've tried many, many groups and each time I left feeling more depressed than ever. Half of the people at these groups were on drugs, the other half were judgmental and the rest were pushing drugs on us who were there for SUPPORT to stay CLEAN! I'll have to tell this specific story just to describe how much I dislike groups.. For years I've been addicted to Percocet, I never experimented with any other drugs. The FIRST group I ever went to I was newly clean and very vulnerable. Well, someone at this group decided to show me the heroin they had in their pocket. I was so desperate and anxious just from seeing it, I ended up snorting half of it! Which was the first and only time I ever did it, and this was all at a highly recommended group. So you can all see why I am absolutely terrified to go to any sort of group. This wasn't the only time this has happened to me at a group either (the other times I resisted the urge but just knowing it's there was torture enough). The thought of it gives me extreme anxiety and thoughts of "please don't give in". Ever since I started online groups I've stayed 100% clean. I meet with the sub doctor tomorrow and I know she will try and make me go to group as part of the suboxone treatment, does anyone have any advice on how I can express to her how bad groups are for me? And how I could tell her that online groups are much better for me? I'm not at all trying to get out of treatment, I want this 100%. The sober, ambitious side of me wasn't to avoid all groups, I just don't know if I'll be able to be prescribed without going to physical groups. Any advice, tips or personal experiences, I'd love to hear :)

Post subject: Re: Suboxone set backs!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm 

Hello Foreverme,
Glad your friend brought us to your attention. Best forum on the net..!!!
So.., what groups are you talking about.? Ill asume it is NA. or a 12step group of somd kind.
I have to say, i believe in peer support, and some of that must be done face to face. Imo. Give a person
sub and sending them on there way wont be recovery. I understand you had a bad time in the past and
arent to thrilled with a dr making you go. I sure didn't. But thats me.

I have know idea what you could say to this dr that you havnt already said here. Just tell her
what happened and how you feel about it.

If you dont agree, then look for a dr who doesn't require meetings. The thing is, most want there patients in
some kind of therapy or group meeting as peer support. It least in the begining. Ours has in four meetings a week the first 3 months to a year. Forced. Paper signed, the whole bit.

I guess what im saying to you is, whats the most important thing, your sub or working the whole program. I get it that 12 step isnt for most people on sub. But there are some good people there and you could find tnem.

And uno, maybe your new Dr Will understand. Onevstep at a time Forever..it just may be ok in the end...

Keep posting glad to have you.......Razor...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello and welcome! I am new here too, although I have been reading the boards for over a year :)

I totally and 100% completely agree with you about group meetings sucking!! Ive never had to do them during my suboxone treatment, THANK GOD, but I am the kind of person that would feel real uncomfortable in such a situation.

I don't think it means you are any less serious about your recovery. I just think it means you are more of a private person and would prefer to have a little more one on one support, or some somewhat "anonymous" support like that on this forum.

Do you feel like you just dont want to share such a private/personal piece of your life with total strangers?

I know for me, I live in a small town where people like to gossip. I actually drive four hours each way for my suboxone appointments (its only every 3 months now, but once a month in the beginning!) Just to make sure I don't see anyone I know! I even went so far as to refill my Rx out of town too (now I just go to a really divey shitty pharmacy in another part of town...turns out theyre super nice there and ive never ran into anyone haha)

Now do you get your suboxone from a private practice doctor? Or do you go to a clinic, maybe even one that also doubles as a methadone clinic?

I know where I live, the only option is a clinic. (Another reason I go out of town) have you considered calling doctors in and around your area to see what their policies are in counseling while in their program? Maybe its an option for you to stay in the program where you're at if you are getting private counseling on a regular basis? If $ is an issue for that, I know that puplic health also has therapists available on their sliding fee scale in my area at least.

If you haven't already, try having a real honest discussion with your doc, because it is my belief that there is ALWAYS another option!

In the meantime, don't be too hard on yourself for not wanting to be in group. I completely relate. And recovery is personal, there's not a one size fits all definition to getting clean. You need to figure out what's going to work best for YOU, and then find a way to do it.

Us addicts are very resourceful ;) I know you can figure out a way to work the recovery YOU want. Good luck :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Foreverme and welcome!

I too am not a big fan of group meetings. However if your doctor tells you that it is a requirement, I would check out other non AA meetings too. Have you tried going to other addiction groups besides AA? i think there are other groups such as SMART or Recovery. that provide group support too. I know that my doctors office requires that we either go to group meetings or counseling. I chose counseling because it is more private.

Try to see if logging on to this online website will be good enough. There are also online AA meetings that you can attend. Just google it and you can go to a meeting that way.

However if your doctor recommends that you do go to some sort of meeting I would def follow what they ask so you will stay in the Sub program.

Good luck to you.!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm 

Everyone has a different experience with groups depending on who is holding the meetings. AA saved my life many years ago but addicts feel uncomfortable going to them if they can't identify as an alcoholic. And if you're not one, don't go out and try to be one!

N.A. sometimes has a reputation for other addicts bringing drugs into the groups. But then it all depends on the quality of sobriety of the members. Have people brought drugs and or alcohol to AA meetings? Probably, I just didn't know about it.

My doctor accepts this group here online as my support group. I don't lie and tell him I am here daily discussing recovery and that is true. Maybe see if your doctor will accept this forum as a recovery group too. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

And now that this subject is being talked about again, it's time to repost the links to all the different recovery groups I know of. If others have more, please share.

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/resources/recovery/rational_and_secular

Check some of these out and see if you find one that will work for you.

Welcome to our forum!

ruel