It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I have been a user of opiates and used suboxone to deal in the past. I am considering getting a prescription, however I plan to purchase a handgun and assault rifle(which falls under handgun) in Maryland. Could getting this script make it so that I cannot purchase these weapons? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am no expert on gun laws to say the least but I am pretty sure in my state you would have to have been committed to a state institution in order for anyone to even be aware of any such script. How would anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:15 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was going to get my 'carrying permit' (actually called "concealed weapons permit" which allows us to carry handguns....I already own a few handguns and several rifles and shotguns, but I cannot carry the handguns, not even if I was hunting unless I had a special Sportsman permit, and then it would only be allowed for hunting, which I don't have.....according to my state's laws, as I understand them) but after I started the suboxone program, somone had told me (I know, 'hear say') that by me actually getting help in treatment for a chemical dependancy problem, I would not be able to get a carrying permit. I really didn't do too much research but I may now since I am even more curious. That is the only reason why I didn't fill out the application, because I thought it would be a waste for me, I have the app. already, just not filled out.

As for purchasing the weapons, well I purchased all of mine prior to the suboxone program, and all they do is run an instant background check type of thing and 20 mins we know if we can buy them or not. Well, that was never a problem for me prior to suboxone, but maybe I will buy another gun in the near future and see if they deny me for any reason. IF they did deny me the gun, it would only be because of suboxone, because nothing has changed for me that would effect me being able to 'purchase' a gun except for suboxone treatment (I really doubt there would be any problems, but don't know for sure). I will look into the carrying permit for myself and see if I find anything concerning Maryland's laws as well. I live in PA by the way. I am sure you could do a quick google because that is all I would do at first and see what comes up from that and then go from there. I don't know if I will do that tonight, if so I will post back, if not then sometime in the next two days I will post back.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any thing as well, or if anyone else knows....give a shout!!

Take care....

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

<b>darkwolf3334</b> - The law varies state by state, so you would have to check the General Laws statute for Maryland to know for sure. Where I live, if an individual is being treated for a psychiatric disorder or for an addiction (It does not matter if it is inpatient, outpatient, voluntary, or a legal requirement), that person is not allowed to purchase and/or carry a weapon. They also have to waive their right to privacy when filling out an application - which doesn't matter anyway, because their/my name is in a database. Pretty harsh, I know.

Back in the 70s and 80s, I served in an army field artillary unit (13E) and fired every weapon I could get my hands on, from LAW's to pulling the lanyard on 6" and 8" howitzers. For over twentyfive years I was required to carry a weapon in certain situations as a c/o working for the state. I had to qualify annually with a riot shotgun, an M-16, a 38 and a 9mm. I was also permitted to carry a concealed weapon without having to submit an application. The crazy thing is, the job was very, very stressful and could be quite dangerous on occasion (injuries were very common)... so at any given time, nearly 30% of my co-workers were either under the care of a psychiatrist, or were having documented problems with alcohol, sedatives, or pain killers. Doesn't seem to make any sense, but that's just the way it was, and how it continues to be.

So, after all these years, even though I have officially retired in good standing and collect a pension from the department, the only way I would ever be allowed to carry a weapon is to be declaired 'CURED' of my afflictions (depression and drug dependence) by a doctor who has been treating me for at least one year. I would then have to wait five years from the time of that declaration to even be considered. I will never, ever, be allowed to carry a weapon again.

I hope things are different in your state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What I want to know is how the hell your name gets into any database from a prescription? I mean...what if you were getting suboxone for pain and not for addiction. Who sticks your name in a database for that? Does the application ask for your doctor on it? Geez! Talk about big brother. I don't even want a damn gun and I am offended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It appears in my state you have to have been involuntarily committed or have been convicted of a crime or have one pending.

RCW 9.41.040
Unlawful possession of firearms — Ownership, possession by certain persons — Penalties.

(1)(a) A person, whether an adult or juvenile, is guilty of the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree, if the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm after having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any serious offense as defined in this chapter.

(b) Unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree is a class B felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2)(a) A person, whether an adult or juvenile, is guilty of the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree, if the person does not qualify under subsection (1) of this section for the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree and the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm:

(i) After having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any felony not specifically listed as prohibiting firearm possession under subsection (1) of this section, or any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another, committed on or after July 1, 1993: Assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment, criminal trespass in the first degree, or violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence (RCW 26.50.060, 26.50.070, 26.50.130, or 10.99.040);

(ii) After having previously been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment under RCW 71.05.240, 71.05.320, 71.34.740, 71.34.750, chapter 10.77 RCW, or equivalent statutes of another jurisdiction, unless his or her right to possess a firearm has been restored as provided in RCW 9.41.047;

(iii) If the person is under eighteen years of age, except as provided in RCW 9.41.042; and/or

(iv) If the person is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a serious offense as defined in RCW 9.41.010.

(b) Unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree is a class C felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(3) Notwithstanding RCW 9.41.047 or any other provisions of law, as used in this chapter, a person has been "convicted", whether in an adult court or adjudicated in a juvenile court, at such time as a plea of guilty has been accepted, or a verdict of guilty has been filed, notwithstanding the pendency of any future proceedings including but not limited to sentencing or disposition, post-trial or post-factfinding motions, and appeals. Conviction includes a dismissal entered after a period of probation, suspension or deferral of sentence, and also includes equivalent dispositions by courts in jurisdictions other than Washington state. A person shall not be precluded from possession of a firearm if the conviction has been the subject of a pardon, annulment, certificate of rehabilitation, or other equivalent procedure based on a finding of the rehabilitation of the person convicted or the conviction or disposition has been the subject of a pardon, annulment, or other equivalent procedure based on a finding of innocence. Where no record of the court's disposition of the charges can be found, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person was not convicted of the charge.

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (1) or (2) of this section, a person convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of an offense prohibiting the possession of a firearm under this section other than murder, manslaughter, robbery, rape, indecent liberties, arson, assault, kidnapping, extortion, burglary, or violations with respect to controlled substances under RCW 69.50.401 and 69.50.410, who received a probationary sentence under RCW 9.95.200, and who received a dismissal of the charge under RCW 9.95.240, shall not be precluded from possession of a firearm as a result of the conviction or finding of not guilty by reason of insanity. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, if a person is prohibited from possession of a firearm under subsection (1) or (2) of this section and has not previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a sex offense prohibiting firearm ownership under subsection (1) or (2) of this section and/or any felony defined under any law as a class A felony or with a maximum sentence of at least twenty years, or both, the individual may petition a court of record to have his or her right to possess a firearm restored:

(a) Under RCW 9.41.047; and/or

(b)(i) If the conviction or finding of not guilty by reason of insanity was for a felony offense, after five or more consecutive years in the community without being convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity or currently charged with any felony, gross misdemeanor, or misdemeanor crimes, if the individual has no prior felony convictions that prohibit the possession of a firearm counted as part of the offender score under RCW 9.94A.525; or

(ii) If the conviction or finding of not guilty by reason of insanity was for a nonfelony offense, after three or more consecutive years in the community without being convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity or currently charged with any felony, gross misdemeanor, or misdemeanor crimes, if the individual has no prior felony convictions that prohibit the possession of a firearm counted as part of the offender score under RCW 9.94A.525 and the individual has completed all conditions of the sentence.

(5) In addition to any other penalty provided for by law, if a person under the age of eighteen years is found by a court to have possessed a firearm in a vehicle in violation of subsection (1) or (2) of this section or to have committed an offense while armed with a firearm during which offense a motor vehicle served an integral function, the court shall notify the department of licensing within twenty-four hours and the person's privilege to drive shall be revoked under RCW 46.20.265.

(6) Nothing in chapter 129, Laws of 1995 shall ever be construed or interpreted as preventing an offender from being charged and subsequently convicted for the separate felony crimes of theft of a firearm or possession of a stolen firearm, or both, in addition to being charged and subsequently convicted under this section for unlawful possession of a firearm in the first or second degree. Notwithstanding any other law, if the offender is convicted under this section for unlawful possession of a firearm in the first or second degree and for the felony crimes of theft of a firearm or possession of a stolen firearm, or both, then the offender shall serve consecutive sentences for each of the felony crimes of conviction listed in this subsection.

(7) Each firearm unlawfully possessed under this section shall be a separate offense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It's quite striking how the statutes differ from state to state. Check out Rhode Island and other areas in New England - restrictive to the point of paranoia. What sense does it make that in some states a convicted felon can have access to a firearm, but a decorated law enforcement officer with prior military experience cannot - particularly galling when the reason for seeking medical attention in the first place was as a result of injuries sustained while on duty. Then there's the matter of individuals who are currently employed by certain agencies being allowed to carry off duty, even if they are undergoing psychiatric care and substance abuse counseling, but at the moment of retirement, they must give up their right to carry because they are deemed a potential danger to themselves and others.

Bulls*** but there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Personally, I say if you live in a state where you know there's no way that they're going to find out about your treatment, leave it out on the application. But I would only apply that to keeping a weapon within your home to defend against intruders. If you were forced to kill someone who is breaking into your house, I don't think it's likely that charges would be brought against you. However... if you're carrying a concealed weapon outside of your property and you kill or seriously injure someone, I think you may have a real problem, particularly if you kill an innocent bystander while trying to protect yourself and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is really strange is that I would think a republican state would be more likely to have loose gun laws but WA appears very loose on gun laws and this is a democratic state.....most of the time :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:21 am 
New Poster
New Poster

First off wanted to thank you all for the warm welcome, you guys are awesome. I did some snooping on google before I came here, and I fell into a sort of grey area on the issue. As far as I can tell I should be ok to purchase the gun. However, as far as "possessing" it(assuming having the gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove box?) I came across this:

Possession of a handgun is prohibited by any person who:

a. Has been convicted for a crime of violence.
b. Has been convicted of a violation of the Maryland Pistol Law.
c. Is a fugitive from justice.
d. Is a habitual drunkard.
e. Is an addict or habitual user of narcotics, barbiturates or amphetamines.
f. Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violate behavior or has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental facility unless the person possesses a physician's certificate stating that the person is capable of possessing a pistol or revolver without undue danger to the person or others. Such a person is also prohibited from possessing a rifle or shotgun, unless the person possesses an above described physician's certificate.

Suboxone is still considered a narcotic. And this fell under possession only not concealed carry which is even worse. Can anyone make sense of it? I can buy it legally but can't get caught transporting it? Maybe I'm being too paranoid about it but it just aint making much sense. Thanks in advance and to all prior as well.

Post subject: In Michigan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a short synopsis about buying a gun in Michigan:

-No permit is required for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.

-No rifle, shotgun or handgun may be sold to a minor under 18 years of age, a convicted felon, or a person under indictment.

-To purchase a handgun from either a dealer or private individual, the buyer must obtain a license to purchase from the chief of police if the buyer lives in a city, or the county sheriff if he lives in an area without an organized police department.

-The buyer must be 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, a resident of Michigan, have no felony conviction, have never been adjudged insane (unless later restored by court order), and score 70 percent on a basic pistol safety review questionnaire.

I also found this:
An individual must apply to their local police or sheriff's department for a purchase license before obtaining a pistol. A purchase license is not needed for an individual with a concealed pistol license. However, a NICS check must be completed by the FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) before the transfer of the firearm. The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level. The applicant must answer gun related questions on a Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire, with at least 70% correct, and swear before a notary that they meet the statutory requirements to own a pistol. The License to Purchase a Pistol form must be completed even though the applicant may already have possession of a pistol, such as through an inheritance. Federal firearms licensed dealers are not exempt from this section of the law and must also get a license any time they purchase/acquire a pistol from an individual or another gun dealer. There is an exemption only for dealers purchasing pistols directly from the manufacturer or wholesaler. A License to Purchase a Pistol is valid for 10 days to purchase a pistol. The seller must sign the license and keep one copy for his/her records. An individual must return to the local police department within 10 days of purchasing the pistol, return the two remaining copies of the license, and present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate. Dealers are exempt from the safety inspection requirements on pistols kept solely for the purpose of resale. Some agencies require all unused license to purchase forms be returned to them for record keeping purposes. These forms are licenses to purchase a pistol and the purpose is not to circumvent the required NICS (National Instant Check System) check when buying a shotgun or rifle from an FFL dealer.[129]

Wikipedia has a page with a summary of ALL the states' gun laws. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_i ... y_state%29

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

d. Is a habitual drunkard.

Wow - did that one jump out at me! Where in the hell did they come up with that language? Then there is the whole

e. Is an addict or habitual user of narcotics, barbiturates or amphetamines.

Is someone who is prescribed Suboxone an addict or habitual user? What about someone who is not addicted but is prescribed a narcotic for chronic pain?

If nothing else, this strikes me as a very poorly written statute. And when that is the case, it most often takes case law or a court decision to actually make sense of it. I'm willing to bet that if you are even able to get the "appropriate authorities" to give you an answer on this one, it still may not mean anything as a judge could decide otherwise. This looks like a real can of worms. No wonder you are confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just wanted to post back an update. I have not gotten answers but instead I am more confused than when I first started looking into it deeper the other day. I don't know. Good luck to ya!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm going to try and get my script today, so if I am successful I assume I will officially be in the system. Will be posting updates as they come. In the mean feel free to use the thread to discuss this issue further, whatever state or area you may reign from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

to chime in my n00b two cents here;

the prohibition against "addicts or habitual users" owning firearms simply means a conviction, under the controlled dangerous substances act. im going through the process right now in Pennsylvania and that is how the authorities I have talked to construe it. but god help you if you get caught with drugs AND a legal firearm - theres about the only the can of worms youd need to worry about - you CAN be charged with additional gun crimes in that case, depending on where you live.

Post subject: I live in PA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My EX-Wife once 302'd me when we was arguing once so I'm not positive if that would affect my probable purchase of a handgun or not? I should find out I guess.. Thank you for the thought.

Under current Pennsylvania law, you can be barred from purchasing a firearm for only two mental-health-related reasons: If you have been “adjudicated incompetent”—if a judge has ruled that due to a mental condition you’re either a danger to yourself or others, or if you lack the ability to manage your own affairs—or if at any point in your life you have been involuntarily committed to a mental-health treatment facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If i remember correctly I just bought a gun (Ruger Super Blackhawk, I love it) and the form you fill out asks if you are addicted to any illegal substances. If you have a prescription then it's not illegal. Would they not sell a gun to someone who is in treatment for pain management? As far a mental issues are concerned i believe they are referring to inpatient mental facilities. Like schizophrenia, or psychosis.

As well i had no problem purchasing the gun and they ran it through because it was a pistol. After 3 days I got my gun+ free range time!! I see the sub doctor once a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I got my CCW in Kalifornia while on my doc. As long as you can keep it together and shoot straight no one will be the wiser. Mine was issued by the Sheriffs dept. internal affairs division. Renewals are easy.

Post subject: You are fine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Having a script will not keep you from getting carry permit...you are fine! I know the laws and guns!

Post subject: Addict
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

I'd like to add one more thing to this. When my doctor fills out the prescription for Suboxone, at the bottom of the page has the diagnosis. For Sub it says "Opiate addiction in remission". I like the sound of that.

And here in Nevada it is really easy to get a CCW permit. A one day free class and you're approved. Every gun must be registered (they are strict about that) and that is when they do the background check. You own or buy a gun, you must go into a police station and fill out the paperwork to have it registered. They give you a green card for it and heaven forbid you get caught with the gun w/o the card. If you have the green card, the concealed carry permit is almost automatic. My Suboxone wasn't an issue so I doubt the police had access to my medical records w/o my consent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'd think in most states you would be fine. My state is I believe the only one that does't allow concealed carry (which I am glad about, just my opinion, I know many do not agree) and I know a guy that is on Suboxone and also has a handgun. It is a handgun though, nothing crazy. I am kinda surprised that an Assault Rifle is considered a "handgun" nowadays :?

I am sure there is a state agency you can call anonymously and ask.