It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone saved my life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been around the web, seeing alot of people downing suboxone for various reasons. Saying its a trap and its no better than any other opiates. Also seen some posts about its side affects. Sadly, for the most part, they are right, but I wanna say where they were wrong. It saved my life and I wanna tell you how. I got addicted to pain meds because of ignorance, I honestley didnt know they were addicting. I had just started a family with my ex-fiance 5 years ago, had a beautiful boy, and a girl was on the way. I guess I was stressed, cause I had told this guy many times before I wasnt interested in taking lortabs, but one day I did. What seemed to be an innocent way to deal with stress, turned into a huge nightmare for my family and I. It wasnt long before I started abusing everything opiate. Im not gonna sit here and brag about how bad my addiction was but I can tell you it was over 300mgs a day, and it didnt matter what form it came in. To make a long story short it lasted 3 years, and my ex-fiance was addicted too, but the story doesnt end there. I had lost control of my family, and my life came crashing down. I was 30 years old, living with my parents again, without a job. If I was the suicidal type of person I would of already been dead. I was in a bad place, and I had to get myself out. But it was too late, everything I had worked for was gone. No chance of getting my family back was the hardest on me. It was the darkest time of my life, I was miserable, and I cried daily to the point I was ready to give up on life. I tried to quit when I lived with my parents but my depression was to heavy, I just couldnt let it go, because I couldnt face reality. Then I started doing research and found Suboxone, and a local doctor that could prescribe it.

Its been 2 years now and guess what, im a single father raising my two beautiful children on my own, and my career took off, putting my depression behind me . Thier mother who left me because of my addiction continued with hers, never being able to cope, she even tried rehab. Suboxone gave me my life back and let me choose when I was ready to quit for good, because at the time, I wasnt ready. Who would of thought there was an opiate out there that could keep you functioning like a normal citizen in society, with society being ignorant of it all. You dont even feel high, you feel normal again. At first you try to abuse it but soon find out you cant. And I went from four 8mg/day to 1/8 of a 2mg/day.

Suboxone is not for everyone, its for people that found themselves in a situation like I found myself in. So far gone, with no reason to hope.

If you havent lost everything, just go cold turkey, cause you will regret it. Its expensive, and hard to quit.

Thank you, and keep your head up.

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi madhatter! Thank you for sharing your story- I am so happy for you! You made a great decision to seek help, and you are doing so well! You should be proud of yourself:)

Reading your story was great. I have read so many stories here, and it's amazing to me how much we all have in common- it's crazy to think that all these people that I have never met in my life have experienced the exact same thing that I have, and that I am not alone. It's a very comforting thing, though a bit bittersweet...there are so many of us:(

It is awesome that you are raising your children! You are a wonderful person for that! My father (an alcoholic) raised my sister and I by himself, and I have nothing but love and respect for him, although there were some rough times when he was using, he did the best that he could and he always put us first. I admire your strength, and I think that you are a great human being, that your children are very lucky to have you! I am sorry to hear about your ex, however, and I really hope that she sees the progress that you have made and perhaps considers getting help for herself as well. It was hard on my sister and I growing up knowing that our mother had chose something over us, but having our father was what was best, and we always felt loved, as I am sure that your children do. You have made such a wonderful improvement in your life, and you and your children deserve the best. Congratulations!

As for the negative things that you may read about Suboxone- ignore those. What Suboxone is to YOU is all that matters. If it is saving your life, then it is a life saving medication, nothing less. I have been on it for just two and a half weeks now, and I feel amazing. I think it's a wonderful tool, if used properly, and with knowledge of what it is/does. Experiences are subjective, and while one person blames their problems on their medication, the next person considers it a life saver. Experiences vary, but yours is the most important one! Congratulations on all that you have done, and I want you to know that I have the utmost respect for you taking care of your children all by yourself. You truly are a wonderful person/ father. I just wanted to let you know that. Your post reminded me so much of my father, it brought a smile to my face. Your kids are going to be so grateful to have had you (once they get over that crappy teenager phase anyway, haha, though surely that's a while off yet, they're little, right?), and will appreciate you very much. Keep up the good work, and congratulations on everything that you have accomplished! Be proud of who you are:) You deserve to be!