It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all . I am so glad I found this site. What a great place to be and I want to thank everyone for all of the wealth of information that I have been reading.

I have been on Suboxone film strip 1 MG for 2 years this month. I had a terrible pain pill addiction that lasted 10 years and pretty much ruined my life.

I got on Sub and it literally saved my life. I honestly think I wouldn't be here today, if it wasn't for suboxone and I am truly grateful for it. But all things must come to an end.

Although it helped me get off Oxycontin, and Morphine, vicadin, and percocet it has caused me to be MEANER THAN A SNAKE. I know for a fact it is the cause of my moodiness, depression and nastiness, I have no patience and am just wicked mean. I just can't take it anymore I don't like myself and can't stand my own company.
I have tried antidepressents and none of them help, I have tried 4

Paxil, effexor and abilify and prozac.

I have decided to start a taper off the sub. I have about 20 days left of meds and am going to reduce from 1 MGS down to 1/2 MG and than 1/2 of a 1/2 from there till I am eating scraps. I have a great DR I can call but he seems to want me to stay on the meds, and always discourages me from stopping, so I am going to try it on my own first. If I need him he is right down the road and will see me on a moments notice. he is also big money so I want to be careful. I also have to pay cash for my meds so it all cost a lot, but I will do what ever it takes if I need more meds. I want to try first on my own. I Am a tough chick, trust me. I have made HUGE changes in my life in the past 2 years so I am fully prepared for this.

Because I have Chronic pain with addiction, he wants me to stay on this drug for ever, but I really feel its time to jump off it. I take Mobic for my pain, its like Motrin and it works great, I also lost 100 pounds and i go to the gym every day, so the weight loss helped my back 100%. I am feeling very good, except for this aggitation.

Here is my question. If I do a slow taper, will I still have horrible withdrawls? I know in the past when i went off pain pills theyl lasted a few weeks so I am hoping this will be the same if not a little easier. I went off a huge dose of oxycontin cold turkey more than once so I am sure I can do this.

I also want to know if anyone else thinks the sub caused you to be moody and depressed. I am so depressed that I rarely leave the house and don't really want to have any relationships with anyone, outside of my dog. I have so much to be happy for that there is no reason for my depression and I am not prone to it. it came on at the same time I started this medication so Im positive its the sub causing me to feel so horrible.

Thank you in advance.

Winterdaphne. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Daphne.

Good on you! It's good to hear your conviction. Also don't doubt yourself when you say Suboxone's behind your irritability. I've actually posted about this in the past, and there've been a few other posts put up by various people over my time on this forum... so it's not just you. In my case it's subsided a lot. But at one stage in my crazy years I was in a relationship where we were both on the Suboxone, and when one of us had an outburst we called it being "bupe cranky". It reminded me of the crankyness you get when quitting smoking. This side-effect doesn't happen to everyone though, which is perhaps why doctors have doubts about it when we tell them. Often (for me) they go on the whole "well you've just given up your drug of choice of course you're cranky" speech but I always knew that wasn't it. And I never had this problem on methadone or when I gave up heroin cold turkey.

Anyway, stick around here. Honestly you'll likely get better support here for tapering than off your doctor. Why? Because doctors have no idea how to get people off Suboxone. There is no official line, no studies into it, no guide from RB. Our collective knowledge shits on most doctors when it comes to tapering (there are exceptions of course).

Stick around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Teejay, I can't even imagine living someone who also is on SUBOXONE OMG!!! LOL. That must have been hell. I quit smoking too and went on a huge diet at the same time I got off pain pills so I can do this, not to mention a move 3000 miles and a divorce all at the same time. Its not going to be fun but I have been through worse. I will keep you posted, and thanks again for responding to my post. My life is so good, and I am so lucky to be here I just want to feel good again.

Thank you so much for responding to my post.

Have a great day.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hehe.. I just celebrated 9 years with my husband. We've been through H detox.. then methadone, getting off methadone then to suboxone for 6 years. All while working together for the majority of those 6 years. Then we quit smoking together.. and then quit sub. I always thought that if we could survive all that and be better than ever, we can get through anything! LOL

Hang in there!!