It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[color=orange]I need help. I am in West Virginia, and have been a suboxone patient for over a year. Right now I'm using a pharmacy within the facility, but today being a holiday it is closed, and today is pick up day. Now there is a refill on my bottle since there was no seeing the dr today, but I don't know if I can just get it refilled anywhere. It's a holiday and I am pretty upset that I have to spend it like this, worrying about damn medication, but I don't know what to do. Please som[/color]eone help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it's a regular pharmacy that just happens to be inside the facility you go to, then you should be able to go to any other pharmacy and get it refilled. Now, that said, I don't know if they'd need to contact your current pharmacy to refill it today or not.

Many of us try to keep a bit of a back stock of medication so we don't have to worry all the time about cutting it so close with doc appts and refills. And I know I try to always have all of my medications refilled at 28 days instead of 30 days. I then have a couple extra on hand every month. Not sure if every insurance company allows this or not, but I don't see why not.

If you can't get it today, you can get it tomorrow, right? Depending on what dose you're taking, you should be just find to miss only one day's dose. Sub's average half-life is 37 hours. Good luck and let us know what happens.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Yes, the pharmacy is a regular pharmacy that just so happens to be in the facility, earlier this week I took a prescription in for Vistiril from an urgent care center and it was ok.
Reason I asked is because with medicaid, there are so many issues that always go on, and then there are issues aside from medicaid that come from the pharmacists not wanting to do their job, i can never tell which is which.
I try to keep a stash back just for this occasion, but this sort of thing happens to go on a LOT. in the last couple of months there's been at least 3 problems with my medicine and getting it the day i'm supposed to.
medicaid will only pay for 28 days a time here too, anything over that in a month they won't pay for.
The reason I am curious as to if anyone else can do this is because my dr will only call it in to ONE pharmacy, and in order to get it called into another pharmacy, they act like it is a huge hassle .. there's always a problem with prior authorizations too, when it comes to the meds and the medicaid. i duno, just a mess.
I don't really think it was fair of the dr to just leave it up to me, to somehow get my medicine refilled on a holiday. If I would've been a newby in this program, I'd be pretty pissed .. because I'd spend this holiday sicker than a dog.
So far I can't get it filled, I called one place .. they said they don't even keep the strips in stock. Not many places open on the 4th of July. I am going to call the pharmacy that everyone else in the program uses, because it is open today, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going without it today.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think Hat is right, you can get your refill at another pharm but they have to contact the original pharm, so if they're closed youre out of luck. But I can tell your from first hand experience that you will be fine until tomorrow. I've gone 3 days without, and just started feeling a little "off" on day 3.
Are you fairly new to Sub? A lot of us here have had issues w/ Dr.'s appointments being cancelled, pharmacies shorting us or any number of things that can leave us high and dry. Like Hat said , over time we learn to plan for these things.
But I promise you will be OK so just try to forget about it and enjoy the holiday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

yeah i know ill be fine. ive went 3-4 days without it before, more than once. just annoying =) thanks for the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess we were both writing at the same time. Sorry my post was repetitive of what you had already answered in your 2nd post. Anyway..I got stuck short a couple of months in a row once. I was on 12mg, so the next month I actually only took 8mg once a week so I could save a couple of strips. I know it's not easy (my inclination is to take MORE not less). It's a shame they're SO strict on the pick up dates. It seems like if it were another type of med they wouldn't care if you ended up ahead each month. But I'm not on Medicaid... I hear there pretty strict.