It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Quitters Diary
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Superbowl Sunday or Groundhog Day February 2,2014 at 1:30 was my final dose of Suboxone. I have been on Suboxone for 7 years and before that I was taking Lortab 10's about 5 a day. I never indulged in anything aside from prescription drugs bc I know I have an addictive personality. Before I throw a quick rant at the way I was treated by my doc I want to say that I blame only myself! Well 60% my fault 40% doctors fault. I went to my doctor bc I have headaches and endometriosis and he prescribed me lortabs. He told me I had to come in every single month for a prescription bc lortabs can't be written for more than one prescription. At this time I beleived him bc why would he lie? I never questioned anything as I was becoming more and more dependent on them.
Three years later I walk into his practice and a NP gives me a final prescription for lortabs and told me the doctor lost his prescription privelages, but he would be allowed to put all the patients on Suboxone. I was scared to death bc I had been out of my pills before and we all know that withdrawals are the worst from opioid dependence.
Without any questions I said I would try Suboxone. The Dr. Came in to talk to me and I guess since I had always paid on time and didn't look like a pill head wrote me a script for a months worth and told me to come back every month.
I started off with 8mg tablets for 4 years. I decided enough was enough and took 3 years to ween completely off. The final month I cut a 2 mg strip into 18 pieces (don't know the exact measurement) but I did a long sloooooowwwwww taper. I wanted off a long time ago especially when the dr. Started charging double for visit and for urine tests, but bc we fear the unknown we put it off.
So Sunday was D-Day and that's where I'm taking you from here. I would read these posts hoping someone would give me a play by play as to what to expect. I am now on Day 4, but I will go back to Day 1 and hopefully help someone out there.

DAY 1- Monday Feb 3, 2014

All day long I felt just fine. Early to tell for the future. My doctor prescribed me Vistaril and Clonodine. I took a Vistaril around noon and had a nice nap.

Felt very lethargic all day. No desire to do anything, not even watch The Bachelor.

Took one of each pill before bed and could nor sleep as the Restless Leg started in. Took one more of each pill plus a Benadryl and finally slept until 11:00 the next morning.

No Stomach Issues
Full Appetite
Super Tired
No energy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 2, February 4, 2014

Woke up around noon in shock at how good I feel and that I slept that much. Nothing bad except the damn RLS. I can't stand it. I feel like someone is tickling my legs and won't stop. I will say that one thing I noticed is that I get startled very easily and it makes my heart race. I am a total ZOMBIE! Throw in the Vistaril and Clonidine and I am a drugged out Zombie!

No Stomach Iisues

BAD RLS
Yawning
Some Sneezing
Tired
No Personality

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Pinkbarbie23 - thank you for posting. I will be watching your progress with hopes to follow in your footsteps.

I just cut my 8mg to 4mg 10 days ago. Split the 4mg into 1/2 (2mg) did one yesterday AM and one PM. Today I haven't taken anything yet and it's almost 5pm. I'm want to get to around 8-10pm to take my next 2mg. Hopefully I'll be on 2mg for the next 1-2 weeks for adjustment then taper more.

Godspeed and prayers are with you.

Cathy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It looks like you jumped from .11mg (2mg cut into 18 pieces). Your wd should be mild and pretty short, would be my guess.

The best thing to do is keep your mind and body busy. Go out for a walk, go to the mall, go to work, paint your house, paint the dog house, too. Staying busy helps tons.

If you can, exercise. Exercising your legs usually helps minimize RLS and exercise releases our bodies natural opiates.

Taking hot baths or showers will help. Listen to some music. You may be surprised at how awesome music sounds again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 3. Wednesday Feb 5, 2014

Woke up around 8:00 am and felt fine. I took some Vitamin C which helped my nose. Vistaril and clonidine dry you out and I had a problem breathing. Took a shower and mustered up the energy to help unpack boxes in the basement. I want to walk, but I just moved to New York (upstate) and it is a winter storm outside.
I am wearing some leg warmers on top of my socks to help with the rls and slept with a heating pad on my legs. Sleep is ok! It's really just rls that bugs me, but I doubled up on my vistaril and clonodine and that has helped.
I get scarred or startled very easily. It's a weird feeling. I am starting to feel more clear headed, I guess getting out of the comfortably numb feeling.

No stomach issues really.
Still a zombie
Hungry

Eating distracts me, but I was on Atkins before so I am enjoying food.

Lollipops and chocolate comfort me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 4! Thursday

Now it brings me to where I am today! Woke up feeling good. Drained of all energy. Slept pretty well aside from RLS. I dont get the creepy crawlies, but more like someone is tickling me.

My throat is sore, but this is nothing like I was scared about. I should have quit sooner and saved so much money. I showered and help unpack a couple boxes but my energy level is zapped. Heating pad helps rls. I am bored, but have no desire to do anything. I feel like a big lump. My mother is taking care of me, but she doesn't really get it!

I took a nap after two clonodine and a vistaril.

Woke up feeling like a heavy weight.

This really is not bad at all. For those of you who have been through withdrawals from opioids or other narcotics and you are putting this off bc of fear, it is nothing like what is going on in your head. I had the flu last year for a month and this is nothing like it.

The worst thing today was my period started and bc of endometriosis I get bad cramps, but I take 3 Aleve every six hours for that.

I get random bouts of nervousness, but colors are brighter and music is clearer. It's a feeling like I was walking underwater and now I'm coming to the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Good Stuff :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Does anyone know when you stop feeling like dead weight and you want to actually accomplish something again? Everything is boring to me! Suboxone was the one thing that motivated me to do stuff, yet I never wanted to leave the house.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That dead weight feeling started easing up around day 7-10 for me. Everyone is different though. I found that symptom to be really annoying! It'll get better. I'm 3 months off, and not a physical symptom to speak of!

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 5: Friday February 7, 2014

I slept really well last night. I took my clonidine and vistaril and two imodium, not for stomach issues but bc I heard they help with restless leg. You know us pill heads will try anything once or twice. No restless leg last night. I had super crazy dreams last night, but that is normal for me as Celexa usually gives me crazy dreams.

Woke up feeling more refreshed than I have in a long time.

I do sneeze from time to time but this is really so much easier than I was thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just took a shower and I feel good! I am yawning a lot and pretty tired but better than yesterday.

I am taking vitamins too which help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Right now I have that feeling of my organs crushing together. I want my meds, but I don't want them. Just took a Vistaril. I was hoping to not need it as it zombifies me. At least my rls has vanished for now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 6: Saturday

Had really bad indigestion and painful gas last night. The RLS appears to be gone, fingers crossed. I get this feeling like my organs are squeezing together to try to get the remainder of any medication left. I do feel less like a zombie and pretty good other than the stomach issues. I got this! To anyone that is putting off quitting bc of the fearful withdrawals, it is nothing like what's in your head. Do you know how nice it is to not have anxiety attacks about running low on meds or how you are going to pay the greedy drug lord of a doctor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

its a great feeling to not need meds. I have been off subs for several months now. The first 2 or 3 months I had many strong cravings and I did slip a few times(for no more than a day or two each time). I would like to tell you that I have finally reached a place in my recovery where I have barely any cravings(only brief and minor when I do), my energy is completely back, I have no more PAWS symptoms whatsoever and life is good. I am telling you this because when I first got off I had many ups and downs. Unfortunately, I gave into the "downs" a few times. But if you can stick it out, you will be back to who you were before all these opiates in a matter of months. Do whatever you can to fight through the tough times because once you get 60-90 days clean you will feel completely normal. I had back pain, GI problems, gluten intolerance, heart palpitations, headaches and severe anxiety when I was on subs and in the first few months off subs. I swear to you, ALL of these issues have been completely gone for over a month now. good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I completely get what you mean with the ups and down. I'm at day 13 feeling good after jumping from 2mg. My biggest annoyance is this cold feeling I cant shake. I feel sharp mentally , but find myself depressed sometimes, but most the time I'm good. Working out helps more than anything ! I had blood tests done and found out I'm anemic. Been taking iron pills and this weird nervous feeling I would get out of nowhere is gone, hopefully for good. Good luck to y'all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 pm 

Pinkbarbie, I'm glad you are here, letting us know about your experience! Welcome to the forum!

You put a lot of work and time into tapering and maybe it feels now like you spent too much time, effort, and money to get to where you are. But the great thing is, this mild withdrawal is your payoff, your prize! A long, slow taper is not for everyone, but you are an awesome example of the result!

I don't know where you are in your recovery, but I wish you the best in your way forward! I hope you have some good tools at your disposal to keep from being in the same position in the future. Hopefully, the seven years on suboxone gave you plenty of time to work through anything that helped lead you toward addiction.

Good to have you here!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 7:

In response to above I want to say where I am in my addiction process regarding relapse. I don't have a clue how to even get any kind of drugs. My supplier if you will was my doctor. I just recently moved across the country and aside from mom and dad I don't know a single soul so slip up is probably not going to happen, at least not anytime soon. I was the one who took myself off of suboxone. My doc wanted me on it for life, when all I ever was on was lortabs at a much lower dose than he started me off on suboxone. Yes, I was addicted! Yes, I am an addict, but I hate looking at that tiny orange pill or film thinking how can something so little control my life.

Anyway regarding how I am feeling yesterday I wanted to get out of the house and my mother and I went shopping. I was able to make it 30 minutes. I felt okay, but like I had lead weights on my ankles. Went home, took a nap and went back out to have a nice dinner. The Clonidine and Vistaril really help with sleep. The RLS is gone. Just tired.

Woke up this morning feeling fine! I actually am one of the few who has the opposite stomach problems where I am constipated and I sleep pretty darn good! Go figure!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DAY 8 Monday

Yesterday was an uphill battle. I didn't have motivation to do a single thing. I slept and that's about it. I was miserable bc I feel so lazy. I am walking with lead boots on my feet.
Today isn't much better and I'm having cravings to self medicate. I don't even have energy to write this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:48 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Self Medicate? Please don't. I'm in the same boat as you and every day I wake up 'if I sleep' I feel noticeably better. Yeah, not having energy is a bitch to overcome but it's something you have to fight. It does get better. When I look back at day 7 and 8, that's when I started to improve. It feels long and drawn out, I get it, but the facts are all around you. It gets better every-day, some days more so than others but you will start to feel improvement. My advice is based from my experience, I suggest forcing yourself to go for a walk, do some push ups and sit ups. I cant illustrate how much it helps!. Last night was the first time I felt I could sleep without laying in bed worrying about whether I would sleep or not. I had a warm sensation going through my whole body and my eyes felt fuzzy, then I woke up to the same feelings It literally gave me intense Goose bumps. I notice this morning, maybe because I slept about 7 hours that I feel happy and energetic. Pushing myself to go to the gym in the morning is very difficult, this morning there was nothing holding me back. I jumped from a high dose, so you should feel much better than me and sooner. Stay sharp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Today has been tough. I took a nap and when I woke up the flu hit, the withdrawal flu that is. I've hit a wall so to speak. Sneezing, coughing, body aches, chills, fever and the best part is now I visit the commode every commercial break. This sucks! My two little dogs have been by my side taking care of me. I would love to walk during the day, but unfortunately I moved to a place that snowsevery flippin day and right now it is in the negative.