It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all. Have spent a couple of hours on this site so far and was amazed at the support out there. I was able to find several posts that were informative but didn't want to hijack a thread with my own questions. Plus, I think I am just looking for some encouragement.

Approximately 1 year ago I began using prescription pain killers. At first it was self medicating but progressed to recreational use as well. I fell into addiction and didn't even realize it. After six months of use I was through and wanted to quit, to get my life back, and return to normal. At the time I entered a suboxone program I was using 80mg of msot any opiod to maintain and not fall into DT.

I was faithful to the suboxone program (aside from a brief relapse at the very beginning which I realized was stupid and immediately quit) for six months. Started on 2 X 8mg a day for roughly 2-3 months and eventually to 1 X 8mg a day for the remaining 2-3 months. After a total time of six months on suboxone I had enough and realized I had just traded addictions.

I felt like my Dr. was not that into the treatment. Visits lasted 5 minutes or so and I had the feeling that he was more or less prescribing whatever I asked for.

Three weeks ago today I quit cold turkey.

As of today most all DT symptoms are gone. Mine included: insomnia, RL, hot/cold flashes, aches and pains, and malaise/fatigue/lethargy, among others.

I sleep okay now (at least 6-7 hours at a stretch, do not have any flashes, and RL seems to occur very rarely and briefly, along with feeling uncomfortable.

Everything is getting beter. Except the fatigue/malaise/lethargy. How much longer can I expect it to last?? I am an active person with lots to live for and a busy job but I can't get anything done at home or work for several weeks. If I had my energy level back I could say I was at 100% but I don't and I am becoming depressed. Some have said that I am feeling normal and that this is how one feels without opiotes or suboxone in their system. However, I know I should have more energy. I get brief 'flashes' of energy that quickly subside (almost like an engine misfiring) so I know that I am not feeling normal.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I eat well and sleep well. I have tried exercise (working outside a lot) but it just leaves me more worn out than when I started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

what was ur dosage when u jumped off?..i jumped off at 2 mg a day and its been a month and 3 days..ur lucky u can sleep tho.... i cant sleep through the night at all..thats what makes me tired...are you taking anything for sleep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I jumped off at 8mg a day. I had tried tapering it down for a week or so before and was able to get to 4mg a day but I wasn't able to keep it constant.

Let's see, about fivedays into DT I went three nights with maybe a total of three hours of sleep. My new Dr said sleep patterns should return around the 10th day and for me they did. I did take some herbal type of sleep aid. Isn't really a sleeping pill but relaxes you and helps. Right now I don't take anything though it wouldn't hurt.

I sleep soundly for 4-5 hours, wake up for maybe 30-45 minutes and then sleep again for 3+ hours. I am getting my rest now.

I have come to find out that I was pretty lucky with my DT and the amount I came off of. Only problem is this fatigue!!! I eat right, take some vitamins, rest pretty good, and am active as much as I can be (energy wise). I have good days and bad days and it gets depressing. Feels like I am just surviving. Keep telling myself it can't last forever.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My energy started coming back around 4 weeks off, by 8 weeks I was feeling totally normal. You're almost there. It gets better.

-Jack Kornfield