It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Suboxone Pregnancy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I promised myself I would post after my son was born to tell my story. And I am so relieved to say it went better than I could have imagined. I went back on suboxone (2nd time) last October. I have Bipolar, and tend to turn to painkillers to escape. I'm one of those functioning addicts (a curse in itself) whose family does not know I have a problem. My husband knows everything though.

This past January I got pregnant, and completely panicked. I immediately found a new Sub doctor, as mine said my child would be "retarded." I am too educated and intelligent to buy into that. My new doctor said I would just stay on Suboxone, not Subutex. I was on an 8 mg strip. (By the time of delivery, I had weaned down to 4 mg.). This made me nervous, as years ago, in a larger city, I was told Subutex is safer. But after looking into the safety of Suboxone and pregnancy, I realized there was no proof out there that Subutex was safer. I let go of the worry, and focused on making the best of the situation. My new doctor had other patients who became pregnant, so he put me in touch with one of their OBs. That OB was never anything but reassuring, never judgemental. We discussed the Sub at my first visit, and never again.

A week ago, I delivered my son by c section. I told every doctor and nurse who came in my room that I was on Suboxone. I feel my honesty is what led to being treated like any other patient. I had a spinal (worked great!) and was given Torodal, Motrin, and Tylenol for pain. The pain was tolerable, and I found that putting ice on my incision during my hospital stay was a god send.

Now to the most important part: my son. He suffered no withdrawal symptoms. He has been so peaceful, and I thank God everyday. The nurses and doctors never even suggested he might get sick, and he stayed with me the entire time.

It was a tough journey, with lots of guilt and worry. But I learned the power of honesty and letting go. I am a much less judgemental person today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with us. And a big congratulations on your new beautiful baby!
Reading this is going to make so many other expectant moms taking buprenorphine feel much more at ease with their decision to remain on sub. So many pregnant women in sub are terrified that their babies are doomed to withdrawal or are fearful that cps/social services will get involved if they divulge that they're taking bupe. Hopefully your honesty with the doctors and nurses that treated you during your pregnancy and delivery will help encourage other women to be honest with their doctors as well, and create better outcomes for both baby and mom.