It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,

I recently started suboxone treatment and couldn't be happer! I finally stopped my life from going down the toilet. I didn't use to think life was worth living, so I didn't really care, but I found out different. Maybe it takes something traumatic for all of us to 'WAKE UP'.

I am SO HAPPY to wake up every morning not wondering if I have my opiates, if I have enough money in my account, if I can get a cash advance, maxing out my credit cards with cash advances, etc. This treatment truly SAVED MY LIFE, in more ways than one, and I couldn't be more greatful. However, it does leave me with some questions.

I have diabetes, high blood pressure, and recently my endrocrinologist diagnosed me with low testosterone (of course I know the cause), and I was told suboxone will keep it that way. Any drug put into your body will cause it to stop making it's natural chemicals on it's own, and the less the better. I know one day I will have to go off suboxone if I truly want my body to function 'on all cylinders', though I am terrified of that day of what might happen.

I have always loved opiates, ever since I was 17 and had a SKULL SPLITTING headache and was given Percocet. They were the only thing that worked for me, every antidepressant I was prescribed only made me feel worse, this class of drugs seemed like 'angel's gift's' to me. They gave me the self esteem I always felt I deserved, they made me feel energetic and ecstatic, like I was in utopia, boy was I in for a rude awakening down the road. I have been clean for 5+ years before, and have still experienced cravings, especially on a nice day, "gee it would be REALLLY NICE if...". It wasn't until I started Suboxone, that I did not have these cravings.

I tried going to NA meetings. It didn't work, so I went to outpatient. It didn't work, so I went to inpatient. Finally, I was ready to give up, until I heard about Suboxone. I decided to give it a go, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

I love the fact it's a PARTIAL agonist, PARTIAL antagonist, meaning I don't feel I have to take more and more, I just chill, and IT WORKS. Is there anyone out there who can relate? Do you have to take suboxone indefinately to live normally, at the expense of your natural hormones, like testosterone? What should I expect in the next few years, now that I was handed my life back?

Can anyone shed some light on what's in store for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there, welcome............
congrats on changing your life, and GETIN outta the CRAZINESS ,,, and ALIVE!!!!!

whew........Not many of "us" opiate addicts, do that.

so,,,,,
I've been on suboxone now, 18mos,,,, after ten years of opiate addiction,,,, and a bit of heroin, there at the end.
the answer(s) to your question,,,, are different for everyone,,,,,,,, some people only see suboxone, as a short-term solution, or a bridge to 'gap' the lifestyle of active addiction and sobriety..........
I work pretty damn hard, and it's a labor-intensive job,,,, that's the only thing i know how to do, therefore the only way I can really make a living. Well, my back is pretty F-d up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and just knowing that I'll never be able to take a pain pill again, is pretty DAMN scary.
suboxone HELPS, doesn't take it "all" away, but for sure helps,,,,,,,,,,,
I dont really suffer any side effects, other than needing to
make SURE I have enough fiber, , , LOL
but the COST is the only thing that concerns, ME...................
I was on the patient assistance thing, from the manufacturer for a year, but that ended a month ago, so im paying now, and thats 'ok'
to me it's totally worth it......suboxone has been the ONLY thing that's worked for ME
and I honestly believe it saved my life..................
heres a good article by dr. J about suboxone treatment,,, worth reading!!!

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/why-do- ... enorphine/

Dr. J also has about 19 videos on youtube,,,,,
ALL about suboxone, how it works, you get the jist!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll post one, here, and theres a link at the bottom for the page, where the rest of them are listed.
might be worth your time, if you plan on being on suboxone awhile. NOTHING wrong with THAT idea, of course!!!
Im going with the saying,,,, "IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT"
have a great day!!!!!!!!!!
and good luck with everything!!!!!!!!!! If you have any more questions, about anything at all,, dont hesitate to ask

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0FLHpru8U&feature=g-user-c[/youtube]

here's the link to his page, I think I did it right, LOL
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuboxDoc?feature=watch

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You just gotta weigh it up for yourself. I don't think there's any one answer for "should Sub be taken forever"... because everyone has different addiction histories and different goals and priorities. The way you described your love for opioids is pretty much how every opioid addict has felt about them at one stage.

Now about Sub and testosterone. I guess it just depends on how much you value an active sex life. If it's something that you couldn't really care about anyway, then lack of testosterone will be less of a problem. But low T also leads to other annoying issues which you're prolly aware of.