It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everybody, my name is Greg. I have been on Suboxone 8mg a day for about almost 3 months now. im totally happy with it and think it works wonders on the brain with the cravings. I take my doese everymorning at 6:30 A.M. before I go to work. My main problem is when its time to go to sleep im experiencing severe pain in my hands and lower arms, numbness and like an arthritis pain all thru the night and the worst in the morning when I wake up. its so bad I cant even open a soda bottle and my fingers get stuck in a position and they king of work like hinges lol, like snaping back and forth in my right hand? Im not sure whats going on?? However when I get up and start moving around and take my pill instantly the pain and numbness subside, but not go away completely. My hands still get numb very easy if left in an awkward pposition too long, alot easier than if i wasnt on suboxone? I am going to ask my Doctor thursday when i go for my monthly appointment. Do you guys think its withdrawl starting to set in? do i need more/or less dosage?? Any info would be great. Thanx everybody, glad to be a new member!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi greg - I've not heard of any known side effects that match what you're describing. I also doubt that it's related to any withdrawals either. Besides, 8 mg is comfortably above the ceiling and should easily last over way over 24 hours. This is based on the average 37 hour half life AND the stacking effect. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor when you see him/her. Let us know what comes of it. Good luck to you. I hope you find out what it is and can get some relief soon.

(It almost sounds like carpal tunnel to me.)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there,
I have pain in my arms but higher up. It's under my shoulders, and it just ACHES so badly sometimes. The weird thing with me is that it happens when I lay down or sleep, too! I never attributed it to suboxone, but now that I think about it, it probably started right around the same time. I can't imagine what else it is, maybe arthritis but I would think that would be worse when I was moving but I really don't know much about it. I have no insurance so haven't gone to the doctor.

Also, my hand fell asleep this weekend when I was holding hands with someone. But I bet these are all just coincidences.

I have no idea if it's related to subs, probably not. But just wanted to let you know that there are others out there with weird pain issues!

Welcome to the boards!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Greg sorry to hear you are having these troubles but you are not alone. I myself when I was on suboxone would get numbness in my hands a couple times a week and it was very weird it hurt a little but only when I was texting or typing but it always went away after a couple hours if not sooner but I never really attributed this to suboxone being that I am on other meds but maybe I was wrong and it was Sub. Either way it wasn’t as bad as you have it so I would def make it a point to talk to your Sub Dr about this and or your normal DR as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok Guys, so I went to my doctors appointment today to get my new suboxone script for the month and tell him about my pain and numbness....He said he hasnt heard of any other cases of side effects having been pain in the hands and arms and numbness...Im pretty sure in my case it is the suboxone because for 1, I dont take any other medications, 2, Im onlly 28 years old, and 3, I havent had this happen in my life until about 1 to 2 months into taking my suboxone, however i have changed jobs and im doing alot more physical work, doing demolition and roof work, but i cant see it being just from that. I can see maybe the pain in the hands, but the numbness is alittle weird tho. The good news is I go on vacation in a few weeks so i will possibly be able to rule that out, ill keep you guys posted!

Post subject: ATTENTION - GregNitty28
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:17 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Greg , please explain the numbness , is it ever in your fingers , Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Greg,
Please keep us posted, I'm interested in your issue since I have something similar.

I really wonder how much most doctors know about suboxone. My doctor didn't even know it caused sweating? Can you believe that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah i know, most doctors are unaware of the side effects, i mean it is a pretty new drug thats why i dont know why they discard the information so easily being like, "No that couldnt be a side effect from suboxone." The pain is in the fingers around the middle of the finger knuckles to the finger tips...then if i dont move it or try and do something it will rise to the hands then the arms. But the pain is usually in the knuckles to the tips. It sucks that we are having these side effects, but im glad that it might not be just me. i strongly believe it is the suboxone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have mentioned this in another thread; the active ingredient in Suboxone ( buprenorphine) has been around for some 30+ years. It is not a new medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea I know your concern Greg when it comes to bringing up side effects to sub DRs with it being such a new drug they don’t know all the side effects but after reading you are doing some heavy duty work all day I would not be surprised if it was from your work and not using the muscles you use for work that much up till you started the job?? I mean how long have you been doing this type of work does it coincide with when you started suboxone? Also def keep a eye on it when you are on vacation so you can rule out work but it still could be other things than suboxone so I would start trying to rule out things and go from there.

STP Bup is not a new drug but suboxone is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What do you think Suboxone is? There are no new medications contained in Suboxone. Keep digging, maybe you can make something up, after all, I am sure it is some big conspiracy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Also, were you on full agonists before going on Sub? I think the painkillers we abused masked the pain a lot of us didn't even know we had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know Burprenorphine is not a new drug, and that is a relief to me. However, as far as I know, Bupe in these high doses has not been around for all that long and taking Naloxone everyday has not been around long either. I know the Naloxone is not supposed to do anything, but I'm not convinced of this either, as I've taken both Suboxone and Subutex and was pretty floored to 'feel' the Subutex, even though it was not 'possible'. I'm not saying there's any conspiracy. I'm just saying there are still some unknowns when it comes to Suboxone.

I went through trouble with my hands and never attributed it to the Suboxone until I got on here a while back and saw other people posting about it. My trouble occurred at night, and I'd wake up thinking I'd slept on my hand(s). As they 'woke up' I would get those pins and needles, and they would ache. It was the oddest thing. My neurologist prescribed me Carpal Tunnel braces, which did not do anything. Then, I went through testing for a list of conditions, like Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus, and I had a nerve conduction test for the Carpal. All these things were negative, thank goodness. Thus, it remained unexplained and untreated, but when I tapered down to a low dose of Sub, it went away. I have not had any of that stuff for a while now. I'm taking .1875 mg/day. I'm not conclusively saying this was caused by Suboxone, but it did correlate with being on a high dose of Sub and it went away when my dose got low.

laddertipper

Post subject: numbness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:34 pm 
I get numbness in my fingers, especially when I first wake up that lasts several hours. Minor compaired to the nausea, headache and anxiety I experience daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I take a maximum of 24 mg a day and I have zero problems with my hands.

I also want to add this statement from Dr Junig about side effects:

Quote:
...as of April 2010, several hundred thousand people around the world have been treated with buprenorphine, or more accurately, high-dose buprenorphine, the phrase that is apparently being used for treatment of opiate dependence, abbreviated 'HDB'. We now have many, many studies looking at every aspect of treatment that a grad student can think of, and the medication has shown itself to be remarkably safe, given that it is used to treat a fatal illness. Compared to chemotherapy, for example, the side effects are pretty low. So if you have a strange side effect, chances are that you are NOT discovering a new form of toxicity. When you present your symptoms, talk in the first person-- the way people talk at AA meetings. For example, instead of saying 'you really should do so and so', say 'I don't know about you, but here is MY experience.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

stp747 wrote:
What do you think Suboxone is? There are no new medications contained in Suboxone. Keep digging, maybe you can make something up, after all, I am sure it is some big conspiracy!

Stp I get what you saying but if you dig deep as you said Bupernorphine has never been used in these high of doses and it being mixed with Nalaxone is very new and that is why Suboxone is a new drug. No conspiracy just a lot of side effects are popping up that the makers of Suboxone never thought or knew would happen and they need to do a lot more testing. I personally think this drug was introduced to the public way to early and we are the oh how do I say this without pissing people off tester of the drug in a sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

stp747 wrote:

Wow, I don't know where this kind of a statement comes from? I didn't see anyone saying it is a bad drug. This is a forum that discusses the possible side effects of suboxone. As for me, even if it did turn out that the sub was causing my arm pain, I still think it's a miracle drug that ended nearly 2 decades of addiction for me. But I don't understand where you conclude that we are trying to dig up something or make something up about the drug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well said freedom. I agree with you.

Why is it that some people here seem so deathly afraid to discuss the con's of Suboxone, but they'll discuss how perfect Suboxone is all day long?

Suboxone is a powerful opiate, it's gonna have some negative side effects, there's just no getting around that.

I understand that we want to keep the information on this forum accurate, but really, this is a forum, not the New England Journal of Medicine! This forum doesn't have a zillion doctors running around publishing their findings, it's everyday people like you and me who are trying to relate their experience with Suboxone to add to the common collective.

I think the only conspiracy is that people want to be able to speak their truth without feeling like they've just walked into the middle of a witch hunt. Whoa, what a conspiracy......people want to be able to speak freely about their experience with Suboxone.

Like you freedom, Suboxone saved my butt from 10 years of opiate abuse, I'll always be thankful for Suboxone. If I had it all to do over again, I would use Suboxone.......even if one of the side effects meant my nose would fall plum off my face. Although, personally, I would not stay on Suboxone for three years like I did, I'd try to get off of it quicker if I had to do it all over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

freedom wrote:
stp747 wrote:

Wow, I don't know where this kind of a statement comes from? I didn't see anyone saying it is a bad drug. This is a forum that discusses the possible side effects of suboxone. As for me, even if it did turn out that the sub was causing my arm pain, I still think it's a miracle drug that ended nearly 2 decades of addiction for me. But I don't understand where you conclude that we are trying to dig up something or make something up about the drug?

Stp's statement comes from people constantly saying that suboxone isn't safe or saying we are guinea pigs by being on suboxone. STP's statement is not an unreasonable thing to say whatsoever. In fact I agree with him (her) and stand behind that statement as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for paying attention Hat. Also, i don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for people to post correct information. Maybe I expect to much out of people? I know Hat feels the same way from posts of hers I have looked at. I also believe people are blaming everything and anything on thier use of sub. I do agree some people are going to have negative side effects from sub., but some people-I see this at work also-are not even taking into consideration the years of abuse they have exposed themselves to during active addiction. I am a he Hat!