It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Overload?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So I started suboxone about 12 days ago after a about a year of using pain meds and 4 months using H (about .6 grams a day). Anyways I took either 24 or 16 mgs a day for about 8 days and then just stopped. That was 3 days ago and I haven't felt any withdrawals since. I read something online about "suboxone overload" which is where you take a bunch of suboxone for a short period of time and then just stop. Well that's pretty much what I did and it seems to be working. (I didn't do this on purpose, I just decided I would wait until i started feeling withdrawals to take my next dose and since I decided that I haven't felt withdrawals!) I'm wondering if this is normal for suboxone. Does it usually take 4 or 5 days to feel any withdrawals? Is it possible that I won't have to take suboxone again and won't feel any withdrawals. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow so obviously I'll be talking about it then but I was just curious to see what the internet thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone has a very long half-life - on average 37 hours. What this means is that withdrawals don't usually start until around day 3 or so. So you might still end up with w/d symptoms. In fact since you stopped at a higher dose, I'd expect that you will have them, but that's just my opinion. You'll just have to wait and see. Oh and personally, I've never heard of "suboxone overload".

Think of it this way, when you go from full agonist opiates to suboxone for a very short time, the sub is there to wean you off the full agonists. In other words, you wouldn't be suffering w/d from the sub, but really from the full agonists. An opiate is an opiate is an opiate.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but I hope it helps a little bit.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.