It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone w/other meds
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, I have been on suboxone for about 6 or so months now. I was taking 8/2 film three times a day was informed by some good people here to try a lower dose to stop my horrifying nightmares and sleep paralysis..down to 16 mg day and it has helped tremendously.thank you. But anyways i recently went to my primary care dr. to get some help falling asleep and dealing with a death in family. He prescribed me Celexa an anti depressent clonidine .1 for blood pressure and 0.5 of klonopin to help sleep and calm down. Ive looked a few places about drug interactions but i need some facts, is taking these together gonna be a bad idea..im mainly concerned about the klon and celexa. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

This is just my opinion but i am surprised (sort of ) that the doctor would give you both clonidine & klonopin knowing you are on suboxone. IMO any person taking clonidine needs to have a BP kit at home. When i had to start BP meds the cardiologist made me promise i would get a BP kit and use it 3 times a day. He would review what i wrote down so he could make proper adjustments to the meds Sometimes clonidine drops your pressure to much, so if you also take a benzo it could mean trouble. Like passing out or worse type of trouble.

If you can give the celexa a couple of weeks i bet you will find that the best medicine. Celexa is one of those meds that lots of doctors prescribe "off label". Not only is it a good anti depressant but it also helps with pain and has a general calming effect once your body & brain get used to it.

Clonidine is a very old drug. It isn't that often it is used for BP because there are safer BP meds that do a better job at controlling BP in most people. It is the type of med that you think isnt working but it hits a couple hours later and that's when you feel woozy or worse.

I was prescribed clonidine when i tried to get off opiates and my experience was scary because i got so tired and woozy.

So IMHO i would be very careful taking all those drugs together. They all tend to depress the respiratory system and slow down the heart.

Hope my experience helps in some way. I also hope others pop in with their opinions so you get your answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off let me say that I have been prescribed all three of these meds, well four if you count subs, just not at the same time. Ive taken celexa and klonipin at the same time. And I currently take suboxone and clonidine. I'd have to agree that if you haven't taken clonidine or klonopin before the combo of the two will almost definitely knock you out. Or at least give you some serious sedation that may not be good when combined with the suboxone. I wouldn't use clonidine without a blood pressure kit, you could dangerously lower your blood pressure. I don't think you have to worry about the celexa interfering with the suboxone. If I were you I would take the klonopin (as needed for anxiety) and take the celexa if you are clinically depressed. Finding the right antidepressant can be hard, so don't give up! Celexa needs time to work, it can take months. But the klonopin will work immediately, while your waiting for the antidepressants to take hold.
As far as the clonidine, I'd get a blood pressure kit. Now I'm only going off of personal experience, and some knowledge of how these meds work.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take klonopin 0.5mg once a day with my suboxone, and I also take Cardizem which is a blood pressure medicine, but I take it for an arrhythmia. I feel sedated some days and ok some days. However, I would do as above people say and maybe don't use the clonidine or if you do always monitor your blood pressure.