It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

From my initial research and discussion with doctor and pharmacist, it appears that these arthritis like symptoms I am having canNOT be related to suboxone??? That is to say there is nothing in the medical literature from the pharmaceutical companies that make suboxone, which identifies these symptons as a result of suboxone.

I find this very confusing because I definitely, 100% have never had these symptoms before starting suboxone. Except that I very occasionally experienced it, in a MUCH more mild way when quite high on percocet. So I feel like there is a connection between these symptoms and opiates. I should also mention it is only happening at night.

I did find a medical research study online that said there is evidence of arthritis symptoms in a particular population of suboxone users: women in their 40s who have just started (1st month) suboxone. That is me.

I have also noticed other sub users saying they have had arthritis like symptoms, but these are anecdotal reports. Apparently there is a big thread discussing this, here on this forum, but I can't find it. If anyone can link me to it (is that possible?) I would appreciate it.

Regardless, it is kind of freaking me out. I highly doubt that I am just happening to be experiencing numbness, swelling and stiffness in my hands, fingers and feet coincidentally at the same time I have started sub?

Someone mentioned trying magnesium powder, so I will look for that. If anyone else has thoughts or experiences with this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

All my doctor suggested was reducing my daily dose from 10 to 8 mg, but 10 is working for me and I don't want to reduce just yet. I find it odd that he suggested that at the same time he said it isn't related to suboxone... Lol.

Ok that's enough from me today. Thanks in advance to everyone in this amazing community!! Have an awesome day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:40 pm 

When I was on 16mg I had idiopathic joint pain. When I tapered down to 6mg the pain went away. That is my anecdotal story. There are no studies, however, linking suboxone with joint pain. So I don't know what to think.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this post is a little old, but I also experience stiffness/numbness/joint pain/swelling - all only at night. Sometimes it's so bad I can barely walk in the morning. If you ever find any answers, please let us know! I hope your pain gets better, and I'm happy to hear that you're stable at a 10 mg dose. :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had to chime in here because suboxone films give me swelling in the joints, increased pain, the list goes on. I can take zubsolv with no problems. It must be something in the filler.

R&B won't admit it or address it until we all file a side effect complaint.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am having horrible pain and stiffness in both hands and body also I've never felt well a lil bit but this pain is so debilitating I cannot hardly get out of bed and it also is at night and in the morning it's so so bad what is going on someone please help I've been on subs for maybe 2 months and my pains in my body are really getting worse everywhere on my body but mostly my hands knees and legs and feet please respond I need help I'm new too thanks in advance wendy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You are not alone. I am 2 months in now also. I still have pain in my hands particularly my fingers and joints. When I sleep some of my other joints become stiff also. I have heard enough others mention the problem I believe it is the suboxone. However, at this point the drug has gotten me off of opiates, so I am willing to put up with it. It is scary though. I don't want to live with this forever. I feel like my hands are being transformed for the worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:48 pm 

Tiki could be correct that the joint problems are coming from a filler in the films, because buprenorphine and naloxone can't be producing these effects themselves.

I would ask your doctor to prescribe a different brand/formula and see if that helps.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello there.. very interesting topic. Yes, I have had all of the above symptoms. It started when my dose was at it's highest. Joints so pain and stuff in the morning that it took quite some time to get them to open and close.tingling and numbness in my hands and arms and fingers.. my whole arm would have pins and needles..also a lot of muscle spasms and jerks.. I had a variety of testing and other than my liver enzymes being elevated every thing was normal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:45 pm 

I never had any of my symptoms on zubsolv, only the films.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

sorry for the late reply, but this is me to a "T".... however, it was at its worst on the oxycodone... especially when i took extremeky high doses, i woke up with shooting pains in my hands in the middle of the night... the numbness in my fingertips would last the whole day through. im only on suboxone for a week now but its gotten 90% better... for me at least, the oxys, the full agonists, seemed to be causing it. now that ive stopped using those, it is MUCH less of a problem. SO weird!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am just over a month of using Suboxone. I also am taking Celexa. Since starting I have experienced alot of joint and muscle pain, mostly in my legs, and feet. My ankles, feet and hands have been extremely swollen. The swelling is so bad in my feet and ankles, that I now call them cankles. I am a fairly slim figured girl, so this is quite noticeable. I mentioned it to my sub doc at my last visit, but he didn't seem concerned, but since then it has gotten worse. I plan on bringing it up again, but wanted to find out from others how common of a side effect it was, if it is related to the subs at all? Otherwise, I feel great. 32 days clean now!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm 

Check into taking a different formulation of buprenorphine/naloxone and see if that helps. We've only heard about this side effect from people on the films. Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:32 pm 

Hello all, I feel that suboxone has helped with the pain of osteoarthritis that I have in my knees. I do notice that my ankles and feet are swollen and stiff in the morning. But, I am not ready to blame this on suboxone. I am also going through menopause so I am more likely to think that is my problem! Only time will tell!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:37 pm 

Like everyone else, it's impossible to place blame on Buprenorphine. Arthritis affects a great many people, myself included. Come to think of it, I didn't get it until I started Suboxone. But that is coincidental only. It runs in my family and by moving to a drier climate it is so much easier to manage.

We took a vacation to a very humid place and my hands swelled up the whole trip. Trigger finger included. When we got home it all went away within a day.

No one will ever prove Suboxone or its generics caused it. Opiates in general are fairly easy on the body when done in moderation. There still isn't empirical proof that smoking causes lung cancer but we all know it does. Someone will always say "I had an uncle who smoked till he was 95 and died of old age". It just can't be argued.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, Agree....

When I stopped my DOC, all kinds of symptoms surfaced that had been suppressed by it including symptoms of a benign spinal cord tumor needing surgical care...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys I came across this thread through a google search because when I woke up today I was in so much pain that I was trying to decide if I had mysteriously injured the nerve in my arm yesterday or what? Background: I only take suboxone and melatonin to help me sleep. No other medications at all. I take 1mg suboxone when I wake up and 1mg before I go to sleep at night. I have been doing this as maintenance for 3 or 4 months now. I have noticed in the past week or two that my arms would go numb much more frequently when I slept but assumed I was just laying wrong. Today I am pretty sure I was woken up by this terrible sensation in my right arm. It was total numbness and fuzzy feeling with loss of motion in my right hand with swelling in my fingers, and then a severe throbbing ache following my nerve up the back of my arm to right above my elbow. It literally felt like I had just smacked my funny bone with a baseball bat. I took my piece of sub and it kind of got better but for the last hour or two the numbness keeps creeping back into my fingers if I don't pay attention. It is really alarming and if I was supposed to work today I would not have been able to. I see that really a lot of people seem to be having this problem to varying degrees...hopefully there is an answer out there somewhere...?