It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I recently heard that Suboxone has been approved as an effective treatment for Alcoholism! Turns out that it blocks it as well as opiates! Has any one else heard this yet?

After recently coming off of Suboxone, I do know that I have a waaayyyy lower alcohol tolerence. It makes sense now!

Just wondering....I'm glad to hear it!

Take good care of yourselves, Amber :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't seen those studies but it would not surprise me. I didn't have any need nor desire to drink while on suboxone. Although that was not my DOC by ay means, I certainly had my days of drinking. There were many times when I would feel anxious after a 10+ hour day and hungry, low blood sugar. Instead of eating I would just start drinking. Although rarely drank on weekends. Anyhow, when I got on suboxone I stopped drinking on the weekdays too. Lost interest. I only drank socially about once every 3 months or so for the most part and if I didn't want to drink I certainly didn't have to.

Now that I am off of suboxone it is kind of the same. I don't know if it is that my habits were drastically altered while on suboxone or what but I really have no interest. Not even on the weekdays. I had a couple beers the other night (like literally two) and I could feel it in the morning and didn't like it. Not that I was hungover, just didn't like it.

It would not surprise me if suboxone worked for a lot of addictions. It wouldn't surprise me if suboxone worked for gambling addiction. Seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here we go again. Grrrrrrrrr. I just posted on another thread about something like this.

Graced4: I have checked multiple sources, including the makers of Suboxone website, and I can find no mention anywhere about Suboxone being approved for alcohol abuse treatment. Can you let us know where you are getting this information? If it were true, this would be really big news - I mean really big. I would certainly think that SubOx Doc would write about it. I'm certain that the makers of Suboxone would be doing all sorts of press releases on it - in order to sell more Suboxone to a whole new community of patients. The addiction community would be buzzing about it.

There actually are a couple of "new" medications that are now available to treat alcoholism, but they have been out for several years now. At least one of them, called Naltrexone, is "sort of" like Narcan or naloxone (which is part of Suboxone), in that it blocks the "high" that you get from drinking. However, it is not a scheduled controlled substance like Suboxone and is very different in how it works. Perhaps did you confuse these two drugs?

I'll just stop there and allow you to provide some additional information or to let us all know where we can find out more about this new approval of Suboxone that you are speaking of. Please let us know where you obtained this information.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did an internet search this morning and could find nothing on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:42 pm 
I looked around a bit yesterday as well......found nothing to corraborate what Graced4 posted that she had "heard" about Suboxone being approved for acoholism treatment.
Like donh, I think we would have all "heard" more about this if it were indeed true. The thing is......I don't think most people outside of the medical or pharmaceutical communities understand what it takes for a medication to actually gain "approval" by the FDA. I only know a tiny percentage of what's involved, and even that is just so involved that it blows my mind that any drug ever gets approved for use. It is just staggering how much money, time, research, trials and resources it takes in order for this to happen. Certainly if a new treatment for alcholism were on the horizon I think we'd be hearing a lot about it.
Who knows?....maybe there is some truth to this. I personally don't see how there could be. Just from the simplest viewpoint, alcohol and opiates don't hit on the same spots, don't (to me anyway) have nearly the same affect, and I just can't see how bupe would work for alcohol withdrawal. But in all honesty I don't have a clue. I'm sure as heck not smart enough nor educated enough to formulate an opinion other than my own personal thoughts.
Whatever.....Yes, another little tidbit of questionable information for people to chew on. It would be nice, as we've discussed before, if we would tell each other things like when, where, and who we "hear" things from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel like you are being rude. If you read my post, which I'm certain you did, you would have read the part where I said, and I quote " Has anyone else heard this yet?????".
Or maybe..."Just wondering". I mean come on, you have to know that those are indeed statements of QUESTION.

I really never thought, I would get on here and be dissapointed.

And to be clear on this...I "heard" my information from my Suboxone doctor, Sanjev Rao.
So feel free to get ahold of him, I'm sure you of all people would know how to. And then insult HIS intelligence, by talking down to HIM. I mean, only if it would make you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah donh what's up with the "grrrr"? Was that necessary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100225/lf_ ... lism_pills

Graced4 - I try very hard not to "talk down" to people and I apologize if I hurt your feelings or offended you personally in some way. I think I am pretty careful to admit that I don't know a whole lot about much of anything. My only point was to encourage us to cite a source when we make an announcement or suggest to others that there is some breaking news out there that might affect our lives. That's all.

I did find this article this morning that I found interesting. This information might be what your doctor was talking to you about. While there is nothing in the article about buprenorphine specifically, there is discussion about opiate receptors and other items of interest in terms of potential future treatment of alcoholism.
As I said in my previous post..."....But in all honesty I don't have a clue. I'm sure as heck not smart enough nor educated enough to formulate an opinion other than my own personal thoughts....." As has happened many times before, my own personal thoughts have proven incorrect!! lol!!
Anyway....interesting article for all who are interested to read!
Have a great Tuesday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let's just hang on a second here. This is the title of the post that was started about this topic:

Suboxone now used as effective treatment for Alcoholism!!!!!

That is what shows up in searches and what shows up in the listings here on this site. That seems to me like a very, very specific comment. Certainly, anyone just reading this portion alone cannot come away with anything but a pretty definitive statement about Suboxone. One that is 100% false.

But there is more. Along with this thread, I also read the same thing, from the exact same person, on another completely different thread. This time, this is what was written:

I'm sorry to hear that, but in recent Suboxone news, they have approved the drug for Alcoholism. Turns out it blocks the effects in that too,...

So now we have pretty much the same comment, in pretty much the same stance that Suboxone has been approved for something new. In this second example, there was nothing written about "I have heard, or I am not sure or have you heard," or any of that. So we have two very specific comments that don't at all leave much if any wiggle room for a guess, or just wondering or "have you heard."

Now I am not trying to jump down anyone's throat here but it's really not at all helpful to post items like this, in such an emphatic manner, when there is absolutely no basis to them. That's why they are called rumors. We only add to the rumor mill with headlines like "Suboxone now used as effective treatment for Alcoholism!!!!!"

As for the Grrrrr, I apologize. My frustration was from just having posted and researched through another one of these types of posts (from a completely different person) that stated that the Narcan component of Suboxone will not actually throw you into withdrawals if injected. This, once again, is a completely false claim. I had just come from this one and stumbled onto the next.

I really hope we don't get this all blown out of proportion. My entire concern and point is that as "friends" on a board like this, we really owe it to each other to at least try to make sure we are not perpetuating wrong or bad information. I don't think that we have to have a mountain of evidence before we post anything, but I don't at all think it's unreasonable to expect someone to be able to back-up whatever it is they are saying. It seems like I have been seeing more and more of these types of irresponsible posts cropping up. And what's worse, when challenged, the answer from the various posters is to get upset with the person who challenged or questioned or just simply asked. As if we should all have the right to post anything that we would like - regardless how crazy or out there it might be - and not ever be expected to back up our statements.

To me it seems simple, before writing a headline like "Suboxone now used as effective treatment for Alcoholism!!!!!", just run a simple Google search and see if anything comes up. Ask around. Or perhaps a different headline, like "Has anyone heard about Suboxone being used to treat alcoholism?" would be much more appropriate. And if you goof, and we all do - myself included, have the guts to just own up to it and move on rather than attack the person who pointed out your error. That's just one of the oldest defenses in the book. Just say, "Sorry, I didn't write that like I should have. I hope I didn't mislead anyone. Obviously my doctor gave me some bad information."

I fully apologize for the editorial Grrrrr comment. But I do have to stand behind asking, pleading, hell, I'm begging, that we all be a bit more careful about what we write and say to others here. You never know who else might read what we are writing and be negatively affected by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh, my goodness...LOL :D Someone had some frustration to release there!!! Do you feel better? If I can help you in any way, even in being your verbal punching bag, so be it. And I am not saying that with sarcastic undertones. I truly mean it.

Okay, to move on from that. I think we both can draw the same conclusions. 1. We are both intelligent. Able to fling around big words, you know, that kind of thing. 2. We are both ADDICTS. 3. We are both stubbornly, hot-headed. Now, you put two intelligent, hot-tempered, addicts together....you can guess what is going to happen. Fireworks!!!

I'm not going to apologize for what I posted. Maybe it should of been followed with a question mark, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, your response could have more followed these lines: "That would be exciting! It would help alot of people...could you share where you got your information???"( See, question marks) :wink: But would the world be nearly exciting with all the same points of view in it? NOPE.

So, thank you for your advice. I will be more sensitive about what and how I post things. Now, to keep up your end of the bargain: (I mean, that's the whole point, to learn from eachother, right?) :) Be respectful. Every fight or argument does not call for you to degrade someone. Sometimes it's okay, to feel the situation out a bit, before you charge in temper flaring. It is obvious that you have alot to offer on here, but it's lost with how you package it.

To sum it up: I will be more aware of how my comments may affect others.
You.... will be nice. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In my own personal experience... the effects of alcohol while on subs, is much less intense then alcohol without subs. However, I've not drank to excess or really used it to get high or drunk. I was previously on methadone for many yrs... and alcohol + methadone did give me a good buzz which was a little scary and a lot different then while on subs.

The only other experience, is that I have an alcoholic friend who tried subs once, and didn't like it at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't care what anybody says I drank a 12 pack of beer everyday and ate 5 to 10 laracets for years once I got on the sub program I just stopped drinking I was'nt trying to I just did'nt even want to and I am an alcoholic if their is a such thing and I am not proud of it I was reserved to the fact I would always be an alcoholic and now I don't have the urge or need to drink at all I know it worked for me and I don't care what anyone says period. Subs are a miracle drug for me I got my life back with Suboxones but everyones different what works for some don't for others you never know until you try.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

For me, suboxone and subutex, ie. its not the naloxone its the bupe, makes alcohol unenjoyable, and I use to be a real hard drinker. The "warm, cozy fuzzy" feeling one gets from drugs like booze, downers and opiates always appealed to me more than the tweaked out feeling of coke, etc. I have tried to get a buzz during the couple of years I've been on subs (both with subutex and suboxone), and after much trial and error and ultimately the self realization of "an unfortunate but also miraculous" inability to enjoy alcohol, ie get a proper drunk on, I've just sort of stopped ~. And it was a major part of my life (legal, relationship issues like whoa). I haven't tried to, say, down a gallon or half gallon, etc of 80% liquor, but I HAVE drunk a full pint and 6.5% alcohol beers...an amount of alcohol that would always have rocked me previously...and I was a little stumbly and uncoordinated but I wasn't drunk. I was a fan of micro brews and stuff and tried enthusiastically to pursue some solid beer drinking for a good while on subs before finally I threw in the towel, realizing ultimately that the 2 and 2 were/are connected and alcohol is practically, well I mean the euphoria of being drunk, rendered useless. Its a major blesssing for a lot us, but it also sucks sometimes too. Personally, I ought to be sober, period...but I miss even being able to make the decision to g o out and "rage" or not, cuz the subs have made the decision for me. But hey, honestly, its a great thing. I would still drink if I could, but I don't cuz its stupid on bupe. I'm noticing that I'm having to adapt to doing other things, which is very positive. I've had my party hard days, and now I'm trying to focus on mastering myself and my world, and alcohol is a surefire na, it is not good for the soul thats for sure. Just my lil story for y'all. Peace and lots and lots of love!!