It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone or not?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everybody. Just found this website via the good Doc's YouTube videos. Well, I obviously have a history of drug abuse, but I have been on Suboxone exclusively for ~8 months, and was rarely using drugs before that. However, I have been buying them illicitly, which I know is not recommended, however, I have reasons for doing so. My main reason is 1. I don't really have the money to pay out of pocket for the doctor's appointments and the prescriptions 2. I'm legally an adult, but still basically depend on my parents, and they don't really understand the full extent of my drug problem 3. I am a college student getting a degree in Government and International Politics - I already have one arrest on my record, however the charges were dismissed. I am afraid if my being prescribed suboxone would present problems with future job prospects, particularly government jobs with security clearances?

So...I have seriously considered trying to come up with the cash to fill a prescription "off the record." The only thing is, my cheapest option right now is my local Community Services Board...a government organization, albeit local, but government none the less.

I am also concerned because I will be taken off my parents insurance in less than a year and have to get my own. Will being a suboxone patient make this impossible?

What do you guys think I should do? Just try and give drugs up altogether and save myself the trouble? Try and pay in cash at a private doctor? Just not worry about it, and go through the Community Service's Board's program? Part of me really doesn't want to take suboxone forever, but my supply lines have run thin at a very inopportune time, so I feel like I'm not quite ready to go completely cold turkey yet.

Also, if anyone has any better suggestions for finding a good suboxone prescriber in the Northern Virginia area, please do let me know. I have Blue Cross/Blue shield insurance, and am on the Anthem Rx Network, if anyone knows how "suboxone friendly" that insurance company is or any doctors that will accept this insurance, please do let me know.

Thank you for any advice you guys can offer. Sorry for the terribly long post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mr. Bojangles - I don't know how to answer most of your questions, but I do know that you can find a list of doctors that prescribe Suboxone in your area at Suboxone.com. Just use their physician locator.

As far as I know most employers would not have access to your medical records, so I wouldn't worry so much about that. You might want to let your parents know that you are in trouble and need help, they might be willing to support your efforts to get into recovery.

If you do decide to just try to "give up drugs altogether", which I think means not going the suboxone treatment route, look into other support networks. Going through opiate withdrawal is difficult and having medical support for the process can make it more bearable. Some insurance will pay for outpatient drug-treatment or therapy and you can find help at various meetings like AA, NA, and SMART recovery, which are all free. Getting and staying clean requires support, so do what you can to create a network for yourself.

-Jack Kornfield