It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys I'm new to this site and am thankful that it exists because I'm gonna need all the help I can get in the coming months...long story short, I'm an addict and although I am addicted to multiple drugs my "DOC" was roxicodone...I went from having alot of money and toys to barely having a hold on my mortgage as well as my wife and daughter...I decided two weeks ago that it was time for a change so I tried suboxone instead of the usual...it worked wonders for me as far as withdrawals go and it helped with my back and leg pain due to a work related injury I suffered in 2010, which ultimately got me started down the road I've been on...so I got in with a suboxone doc 3 days ago and everything went great, I'm really impressed with the whole place because they treat u like a person instead of a junkie..the doc started me off on 2.5 8 mg films per day, however I was taking 3-3.5 on the street...my question on this is what is the max they can give you? He said he would adjust my dose this comig Thursday, so do you guys think he will give 3? Also,
He only wrote a week supply, will he write more
On Thursday? Also, if I take the 2 he wrote I will have 6 left on Thursday and I don't see him again for 2 weeks, will he write more to cover that time? Do you have to stay at one pharmacy the whole time? If he writes more on Thursday can I get them filled on that day or do I have to wait until I run out? If somebody could give me a breakdown of what to expect from here on I'd really appreciate it!!! Sorry for all the questions and bickering over the # written I just have a very high metabolism and feel I need 3 or more per day,..thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Rick

I am new to sub-on it about 8 weeks. My doc also gave me a weeks supply & had me come back. I never took the 24 mg he wrote me, it was to much for me. I didn't tell him that though. The second time i saw him he wrote a month supply for 3 films a day.

Each doctor is different so it is up to them to decide how much to write - i do know someone who gets 3.5 8 mg strips a day.

When he see's you this coming Thursday he should write enough until your next visit but he may post date the script.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

Hi Rick,

Welcome to Suboxforum! You say you have a fast metabolism but what exactly happens if you take less than 3-3½ 8/2 films? I used to always say I had a high one too, but that was only to get more opiates than usual. If you really do have a high metabolism rate then tell him that and he'll give you the full dose.

Normally, the max dose is 24 mg's from what I've seen. We have heard of several members receiving 32 mg's, but that one is up to your doctor. There is a ceiling effect where taking more doesn't do anything for you. In my beginning weeks of taking Suboxone I would take an extra one trying to get a buzz. Nope, didn't happen. Nothing happened, so I felt like I had wasted a whole film. Keep in mind that everyone is different. Results may vary as they say.

It sounds like you found a good decent doctor who cares. If you tell the truth, he will give you what you need. That's my guess from what you wrote.

You are starting Suboxone to be in recovery. That is what it was made for. It's not meant to get you high. Yes, you will feel a bit of a buzz for the first few weeks and maybe even longer. Some feel it, some do not. What I'm trying to say is that the way you asked the questions sounded like addict behavior. (no offense) Suboxone is a very strong drug and you don't need much to get the job done. At least for most people. Try to be honest with yourself concerning how much of a dose you really need. Is it a need, or a want? Big difference. It does no good taking Suboxone if you aren't planning on staying clean or using it the wrong way.

Let me get back to basics. Congratulations on finding recovery! Your life will improve every day. Did your doctor tell you to go find a recovery group yet? Most will. N.A. or A.A. works well, but there are other programs that don't use the 12 steps. If you need the list, let me know and I'll dig it up from the archives.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If one has an extremely fast metabolism, it can be beneficial to split dose, rather than taking an exorbitant amount of suboxone once in the am. I had this issue too, even on methadone. My dose would run out by the evening and I'd have trouble falling asleep. I was able to drop my dose considerably by taking a partial dose in the am and one in the early evening. I discovered the 24mgs was overkill and went down to 16 almost immediately after realizing this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys I'm sorry I haven't gotten a chance to post again, I've been super busy lately...ok I am a very busy person as alot of us are, I get up at 430 am and start doing chores around the house and other odds as ends...I take my first 8 mg sub around 6 after breakfast and I work a little while and it seems like it's worn off around 11-12, so I take another one then...well by 5 in the evening I'm feeling bad, hurting all over, sick feeling and I have a half left and take it,
But it's like I didn't take anything...I just wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me or is my body getting rid of the drug fast?? Although I am recovering I've
Yet to snort or alternate the med in an addictive way...what do u guys think? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Oh yea and another bit of background on me...I have 3 herniated discs, 2
In lumbar and one in thoracic spine, 5 bulging discs with pinching of nerves throughout my spine, broken vertebrae at t 12 which has pushed
Bone into my canal, vertebroplasty failed to fuse it back and 2 surgeries on my lumbar hasn't helped much...I only take neurontin, naproxen sodium, Bp meds...and this doc is def a great doc guys I'd recommend him to anybody!!! Another thig is that it seems like when I start to hurt is when I get those sick feelings like the med has left...like one said there's a ceiling effect and 4
Is a waste so I would be happy with 3-3.5...help me
Out guys any suggestions would help...I have counseling set up for this month as well....thanks so
Much everybody!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum!!

For the most part, I took my Suboxone 3 times a day, too. I'll admit that I really didn't need my noon dose, just took it for the hell of it. After doing this for months and months, I found that I "needed" that noon dose or else I'd feel crappy. I had trained myself to need that extra dose.

I'm wondering if you push through the crappy feelings at noon and don't dose, could you get your mind and body to accept twice a day dosing?

I really don't know how many strips your doctor will prescribe, every doctor seems different. He may prescribe you 3 to 3.5 strips a day, he may not. I think you're just going to have to wait and see what he does.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tinydancer wrote:
If one has an extremely fast metabolism, it can be beneficial to split dose, rather than taking an exorbitant amount of suboxone once in the am. I had this issue too, even on methadone. My dose would run out by the evening and I'd have trouble falling asleep. I was able to drop my dose considerably by taking a partial dose in the am and one in the early evening. I discovered the 24mgs was overkill and went down to 16 almost immediately after realizing this.

That's how I take mine, half in the morning and half in the afternoon or night. I'm only on 8 though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum!!

For the most part, I took my Suboxone 3 times a day, too. I'll admit that I really didn't need my noon dose, just took it for the hell of it. After doing this for months and months, I found that I "needed" that noon dose or else I'd feel crappy. I had trained myself to need that extra dose.

I'm wondering if you push through the crappy feelings at noon and don't dose, could you get your mind and body to accept twice a day dosing?

I really don't know how many strips your doctor will prescribe, every doctor seems different. He may prescribe you 3 to 3.5 strips a day, he may not. I think you're just going to have to wait and see what he does.

I know exactly where your coming from there!! I've tried to not take my noon dose but in the middle of working or anything really, I start to sweat, shake, stomach hurts and I can't concentrate unless I dose...it's weird, I'm Gknna have to talk with the doc about it on Thursday,
He's very understanding...congrats on getting in suboxone, I don't know your habit but this drug has been a miracle for me and my problem...thank you all for your responses!!'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to guess that a lot of the symptoms you feel when you skip your noon dose are rooted in addict thinking? Have you ever been dope sick before, then your dealer calls and tells you he has something for you and you immediately start to feel better, even though you haven't even taken the drug yet? The mind is a powerful thing.

I'm trying to be careful not to push you too hard into skipping that noon dose because I'd hate to see you go out and fuck up because of it, I'm just trying to make you more aware of how your addict brain may be messing with you.

As for my drug habit, I spent 10 years in an escalating relationship with opiates. Ended up having to snort 3 OC 80's a day and chomp through all the Lortab I could just to stave of being dope sick. In the end, I wasn't even getting high anymore, I was just trying to avoid the massive wd I knew was coming. Mercifully, I discovered Suboxone right in and around that time, got on it and stayed on it for 3 years. I've now been off of it for 3.5 years. Without Suboxone, I wouldn't be where I am today, no doubt in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Remeo, I very much appreciate your input on this because I think we have very similar backgrounds in regard to opiate use...I understand your not trying to push me in skipping the noon dose and I hope u know wasn't trying to offend you in any way and I apologize if I did...yes I have been dope sick many times, and yes when I found out I was gonna get something it was like the monkey was off my back...I'm gonna try my damnedest to kick that noon dose soon...I have another question for u, I have severe nerve damage in my right leg and take neurontin for it, 800 mg 4 times a day but I never take more than that...I was taking lyrica but the sub doc said switch to neurontin...is this bad or is t safe to take with subs?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remeo, eh? LOL. I've been called many things, but never Remeo!!

Man, you didn't offend me with anything you said. If you want to offend me, you're going to have to try a hell of a lot harder! :)

I had an idea on how you could skip your noon dose, but wasn't sure how up for it you'd be. You sound like you're willing to give it a shot, so here's my idea. It sounds like your current noon dose is 8mg, maybe try going with 6mg. If you get stable on 6mg, then try 4mg. Just try cutting back your noon dose until you don't need it anymore.

I really don't know that much about Neurontin. I know some people here have taken it to ease wd symptoms, but other than that, I'm about clueless as far as Neurontin goes. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lmfao!!! I didn't realize I misspelled it, I was trying to go by your name on here, my bad dude...yea I'm willing to try your idea out...currently I take 8 mg at 6 am, 8 mg at noon, 8 mg at 6 pm and 4 mg around be time...I know it sounds like overkill but it really helps me get by, it helps my pain as well especially when I take the neurontin with it!!! My uncle told me less is more
With subs, is there any truth to that man? I'd like to get on a stable dose that will help my pain and the withdrawals...in the meantime ill try what u said and see what happens...thank u much man!'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nick ( :D ),

People who take Suboxone for pain often dose multiple times per day. I don't quite understand it, but apparently Suboxone's pain relieving properties only last 4 to 6 hours. We had a member here a while back who took Suboxone for pain and dosed multiple times per day. Eventually this person decided to cut their doses back and their pain levels are much better now. To the best of my recollection, they take Neurontin, too.

In my case, and I suspect the case of this person I'm talking about, we both suffered from Opiate Induced Hyperalgesia. That's basically when our bodies develop a hypersensitivity to pain because of opiates and how they work. My biggest fear coming off Suboxone was wondering how I was going to treat my pain (I had fallen out of a tree, crushed both my ankles, broke both legs and broke my left arm, had 7 surgeries to put Humpty Stupid back together again, etc.). Amazingly, switching from pain pills to Suboxone improved my pain levels and getting off Suboxone altogether basically eliminated any pain I had.

The "less is more" comment made by your uncle may be attributed to what I was just talking about or more likely he was talking about how a lot of people feel better on lower doses of Suboxone due to lessened side-effects.

Good luck at your doctor tomorrow, Vick. Let us know how things go!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Remeo.....Nick.....Vick.....Funny shit!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea man I will def tell you how everything goes...it surprised me as well at how good it relieved my pain,
However like you said 6 hours max and I need another dose...I worked railroad labor, got hit with a crosstie and thrown some ten or so feet, broke my back and blowed out 2 or 3 discs and bulged 5 or more...it sucked ass to say the least but I'm on a better path now...this site is awesome, that nick and Vick made my day man, numerous for sure!!! Take it easy dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad that made your day yesterday, Rich.

BTW, it would probably be a good idea for you to steer clear of railroad ties.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yea for sure man, I haven't worked on the railroad in over 3 years since I was hurt...I have some news tho; I had my visit and everything went well, the doc gave me an extra film per day but said if I could do basically the same thing you advised, I would be much better off...he was telling me there is a ceiling effect to these films and anything more than 3 is just a waste of the med...anyway man that's all I have but I do go back to him on the 20th...my meds were only 40 bucks this time! Thank goodness....let me know if you have any thoughts
To express

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad your doctor visit went well. I know you were concerned about it and I'm happy everything turned out well.

I was just curious, do you stockpile your extra Suboxone? Having some extra films around is a good idea. You never know what kind of hiccups may happen with your doctor in the future and it's nice to have some extra films around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks man I'm glad it turned out well for sure!! Actually I did start putting 1 extra back when he gave me the extra yesterday because I tried taking 4 mg
Instead of 8 at noon and it works!! Like you said you never know when u won't e able to get ahold of the doc..how's it going for you man?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cool, the 4mg dose at noon worked!! Figuring out what is really wd and what is just our addiction monkeying with us is difficult at times. Sometimes it takes an outside observer to help us.

Things are going good for me. I'm currently procrastinating on a project here at work and surfing the forum instead. Imagine that. lol