It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone vs. Methadone
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone- I have a question for everyone who has tapered off of Suboxone in comparison to Methadone. You don't really have to have had to come off of Methadone also before--

Anyways. I am curious as to how long a "normal" tapering is off of Suboxone? Or if there is a "normal"? I worked as a nurse at a methadone clinic and we always told the clients to go low and slow- that way they did not feel the effects of withdrawal as badly.

I have a relative who has came off of methadone once-- it was horrific. He tapered down 15mg and then went cold turkey at 60mg. Night sweats, leg cramps, insomnia...Horrible!

Now, this same relative is about to taper off of Suboxone (first time on it because of a relapse). I read someones post about going down 4-8mg a day and that people don't usually feel withdrawals by doing it that way. I am not certain what dose he is on but 4-8mg per day sounds high to me.

Also, I have started a new blog: https://iloveanaddict.com Please check it out sometime! Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never completely detoxed off methadone. The lowest I got was about 15mg right before my switch to suboxone. It was a fast taper though, so I don't know how much was still in my system when you take into account the half life. Anyway, despite lacking experience in detoxing from methadone, I firmly believe sub detox is easier. The fact that methadone is a full agonist might have something to do with it? I remember how I felt tapering down on methadone and it was pretty bad. Slow and steady is the way to go either way. Jumping from 60mgs of methadone is insane, IMO.

To get off suboxone with the most minimal of symptoms requires a taper below 1mg. Preferably .5 or .25.. I jumped at about 1.5ish and it still was not as bad as I was expecting but it took me about 6 months to get right.

Btw, I love many addicts including my husband! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there ILAA,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not quite sure I understood what you meant by going down 4-8mg per day. If you mean that they should jump from that amount then I disagree with whoever said the withdrawals would be minimal. As Tiny said above you really have to get much lower than that to feel the least amount of WD possible. We usually recommend tapering by .5mg every week or so until you get to 2mg, then slowing it down a bit from there until you get to .5 or .25 before you jump.

If you worked in a methadone clinic then I would say you probably understand the process quite well. It shouldn't be much different as far as the taper process is concerned. Slow and steady wins the race!

I wish your loved one the best of luck. I'll check out your blog in a bit.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there.

Yea going tappering down from Suboxone and Methadone just really depend on the person and the dose. I would think that going down 15mg a day on the methadone then jumping, would produce some pretty bad withdrawls starting from the 3rd day or so. Atleast that's what I am thinking.

I went to the Methadone clinic and was stable at 60mg for almost a year when I decided to get off, due to the fact that I thought I was ready; and because I was going on vacation across the country and didn't want my in-laws to wonder where I was going every morning, haha. I actually went down 2mg every other day and I never had any noticeable w/d symptoms. I came off at the end to get on Suboxone. I decided to jump from a 30mg one day, 15mg the next day, no dose the next day, then started suboxone.

I was only on suboxone for a short period time, less than a week. Then I quit everything. My legs were real achey but other than that, I did alright.

I think it also depends on how long the Suboxone was used and the dose that is taken. If someone is taking 8mg a day for a month vs a person taking 8mg a day for a month, I would think most people would need to go slower the longer they have been on it. Just because their body is so used to having this medication and you dont want to drop your dose too quick and 'shock your system' and get sick.

I know many people around my town that have taken opiates for many, many months or years. They would then take Suboxone for a week or two and get right off the sub. That way the sub filled the void that was there, from the person not taking opiates anymore. Then they would quit before their body got used to the suboxone. I have done that before as well.

I dont think there's any "standard" for tapering down from Suboxone. I think "low and slow" would also apply to the suboxone, as it did when you worked at the methadone clinic. You definitely dont want to make yourself super uncomfortable when you could just taper more slowly and feel better.

It can be a tricky thing because it depends on the person, the dosage, the length of use and probably a few other things.

I'm sure if you posted the length of use and dosage amount some of the long-time members could tell you a little better taper method, that will help keep those withdrawls at a minimum while effectivly decreasing your relatives dose; getting them off suboxone FOR GOOD!! =)

Keep us posted and let us know what worked out for them as well!! I will like to know the method used and how it worked out, once they get through everything!! :)

Hope I helped a little bit!! Good luck! -Mike