It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong place I just wasn't sure where I should put it.. But anyways, I have been suffering from migraines since I was about 12 years old and I am now 24. I have been on suboxone for 1 year & 10 months now, and lately my migraines have been unbearable, the worst they have ever been in my entire life. Sometimes so painful I can barely stand up or even open my eyes! Ever since I stopped using they have just been getting more painful every month. and I am getting them 3-5 days every week. Now I know that they are not BECAUSE of suboxone, because I had them for 8 years before I ever picked up my first drug. But what I am wondering is if there is any way suboxone could possibly be making them worse? if there is any possibility? I have been stabilized at 6mg/day for over a year now. I let it sit under my tongue for 20 mins without swallowing, swishing it around for a bit once its been after 15 mins. And Swallow the remaining spit.

I have seen posts where spitting out the remaining spit may help with headaches, but I only wish these were headaches... Migraines aren't even in the same category, Or at least mine aren't. I usually take 4mg around 10am then the other 2mg around 2 or 3pm. I would take it all at once but I get the 4mg strips and one stip is about the size of my entire tongue, I have a small tongue and if I wanted to take it all at once I would have to put a half strip on top of another, and I know that is not what youre supposed to do.

I plan on asking my suboxone doctor if there may be any relation to why my migraines are so bad now, We never even really see our dr's where I go, We have a nurse run group therapy and the dr comes in for 5 mins just to write scrips. And by no means am I saying that suboxone is the cause of my migraines. I know I had them when I was using and for YEARS before. I'm just wondering if there may be something, anything that I can do to help so that they are not this unbearable. My migraines are by far the most painful thing I have ever experienced. Excruciating head pain and pressure feels like someone is banging my temple(s) with a hammer, nausea, sensitivity to even the smallest amount of light, sound, smells, and movement.

Does anyone have advice or some kind of experience with this and what helped you?? it would be awesome if dr.junig could help me! I have much respect for him and this forum! I know there is no cure for chronic migraine, I am just looking for a way to make my life a little less painful and not so unbearable. Thank you all for taking the time to read! -Jess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:49 pm 

Hi Jess, I am sorry that I dont have any answers for you! I did want to post so you knew someone had read your post and cares. I have never had migranes and can only imagine how difficult it must be! I hope someone with some answers posts soon! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello jess,

So sorry to hear that your migraines. I would try and SPIT OUT THE SALIVA after you have held on 20 min. Instead of swallowing it. You will have absorbed the med in the 20 min that you held it.

Plus it is really not necessary to swallow all the saliva. Just try it the next time you dose and see if that will help your headaches .

Good luck

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you guys, Nice to know I am heard. And yeah I have known about people spitting out the saliva to help decrease their headaches I just never tried it because I didn't think it would help. These are so much worse than the average headache. And I have pretty much come to accept that I will just be miserable forever because no dr. has been able to help me in over 10 years but they have been sooo bad lately If I ever want to get off suboxone successfully I know I need to find something that helps me with this pain, even if it gives just a little relief (placebo or not) I will try anything. But I am not even planning to get off until I can get these migraines under control. I cant keep living like this. My quality of life is so low right now I cant even do things I enjoy because I either have a migraine at the time or fear that anything I do will trigger an attack. I even recently got the daith piercing because I heard on the news/social media the buzz about it helping to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines by mimicking acupuncture. And I was actually really hopeful, even if it was just a placebo effect, less pain is less pain. But of course it hasn't helped me whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with daith piercing. what gets pierced?

I have family members who struggle with migraines, and I used to get them myself. My 'classic migraines with aura' changed when I was in my 40's to 'migraine without headache'. Now, I get the classic scintillating scotoma... if people don't know what that is, go to google images and search for that term, and you will see exactly what they look like. They last about 15 minutes, and in classic migraines they are followed by headache. For whatever reason, I stopped getting the headache part.

When I was diagnosed with migraines I was in med school. The doc said 'if it is any consolation, only smart people get migraines.' I wonder about the significance of that comment, now that they are gone!

Anyway... migraines are related to SO many things, that I would not be surprised if buprenorphine played SOME role.... Here is where my random thoughts have taken me: during opioid withdrawal, the excitatory pathways of the brain are increased. Clonidine treats withdrawal by reducing the sympathetic activation in the brain. Migraines tend to be worse on weekends; the common perception holds that migraines are suppressed during the stressful work week, then come on strong when the person relaxes. My own headaches were the worst on the days I got more sleep. If I was up all night working, I wouldn't get a headache the next day. But if I slept too long the next night, I would almost surely get a migraine the next day.

When I was actively using, I never got headaches. Maybe they were pushed away by the constant stress and withdrawal? After leaving opioids behind, the migraines returned, but without the headache part. My point with all this is that even if buprenorphine itself isn't causing the headaches, they may be worse just because you are stable. A depressing thought-- but it could be true.

I think that the most important things I've done over the years to reduce migraines include making sure I get the same amount of sleep each night--- and never sleeping more than 8 hours. For me, too much sleep clearly triggers migraines. I try to sleep at the same time each night. I am careful with the classic triggers-- like red wine or dark chocolate.

We once went to a person we read about in a headline article in the newspaper--- a doc who was a world expert on migraine. That was a $600 disappointment. She suggested gabapentin, exercise, and a healthy diet. What a genius...

Sorry-- but I don't think there is more information out there. For an individual, it is likely trial and error, which is hard to do--- but it can pay off at some point!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I forgot to mention... spitting comes from the goal to avoid swallowing naloxone. Naloxone isn't around very long if you DO get it in your body; it is metabolized within an hour. So spitting after dosing probably isn't an issue from that standpoint. Spitting also reduces the amount of norbuprenorphine-- a breakdown product that increases constipation. Who knows-- if you find that it helps to spit out the remainder after dosing, that could suggest that norbuprenorphine is causing problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is really long so please bear with me!

Dr. Junig,

First let me say thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I feel so special! Hehe :) I have the utmost respect for you.. You are helping so many addicts in recovery and I know that I have learned SO much from you and this forum that I wouldn't have learned anywhere else.

A Daith piercing is an ear piercing that passes through the ear's innermost cartilage fold, the crus of the helix. Some people swear by it being the reason their migraines have lessened in frequency and severity, but there is no sure way of knowing this is what helped it because no actual studies have been done. I have read its about a 50/50 chance it will help. Supposedly the piercing passes through a pressure point and provides mechanical stimulation of the region and possibly the vagus nerve. I have read on the internet that some acupuncturists say it is nowhere near a place they would apply acupuncture for headaches but when so many people say it has helped them its worth trying even if the relief is placebo.

I am so jealous you no longer get migraines! Still, having auras can be disruptive. I get the auras too, not always though. Mine appear as tiny flickering white dots all over. Sometimes I will get dizzy or lightheaded during the time the aura is present. I have read that during pregnancy and after a woman goes through menopause the risk of migraine usually diminishes. So I guess there's that to look forward to... in 20 years :(

And I knew exactly what you meant by saying an unsteady sleep schedule can trigger an attack. I get very poor and limited sleep during the week (my boyfriend snores so loud I literally have to yell to wake him up) then I end up sleeping 12 hours on days I don't work just because I am so tired of not getting good sleep during the week or I'll have a migraine and try to just sleep so I don't have to deal with the pain. Sometimes he will offer to sleep on the couch but even when he does I still don't get good sleep because I wake up every 2 or 3 hours. I don't drink at all and I hate dark chocolate so I know those two triggers can be eliminated lol. About the spitting.. I just did it today and I will continue doing it for the next few weeks to see if I notice any changes. I have severe constipation so if the spitting helps only with that I would be satisfied.

I know you 'cant tell me what to do' because you are not my prescribing doctor but I respect your thoughts and opinions and I wanted to ask you do you think 6mg/day is a good dose to be on or do you think I should be lower/higher? I know some people say that suboxone helps with their chronic pain but unfortunately for me it does not help at all. And I sweat sooo bad I'm not even exaggerating ill be drenched and super hot all day long. Its very embarrassing and uncomfortable and for someone who already has social anxiety it makes me not want to be around people even more. When I sit down at meetings or at the place I go for my suboxone and I go to stand up I stick to the seat and there will be sweat on the seat it is so embarrassing and I have tried all the well-known ways to stop a hot flash but none helped and its like this 24 hours a day. My face is always pink/red and I can literally feel the heat radiating off of it. I have really bad constipation too so I lowered my dose over a year ago to 6mg/day thinking it would help ease the side effects but it didn't whatsoever. And august will be 2 years of being on suboxone so I think if the side effects were going to subside I imagine it would have happened by now...

I know that every individual is different, as almost everything under the sun can trigger a migraine. Which sucks because you never really know all your triggers and if you do you cant always avoid all of them. I started getting migraines when I was so young I remember my pediatrician sending me to see a pediatric neurologist because they didn't know what to do with me. Sadly no medication has been able to help.

I have tried so many things but somehow no relief... Massage therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, aromatherapy, All OTC pain meds, Topamax 2 different times, amitriptyline, nortriptyline, midrin, extended cycle birth control, magnesium supplements, riboflavin supplements, etc.. most of the well known migraine preventatives. All tests have always come back normal and I have had multiple MRIs throughout my migraine years and no change. I do get some relief from triptans (not always though) but you are only allowed a small amount per month and I almost always run out before I can get my refill.

Thank you for taking the time to read about how miserable I am lol I'm sorry this was so long I just wanted to get some of my story out there so I can maybe receive some more help from anyone else with the same experiences and maybe even learn something new. Take care! -Jess