It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I been clean from pain pills 5 weeks now and on suboxone program for 4 weeks now. The suboxone makes me sick daily nausea, headaches, stomach pains, itching, red dot marks popping up but not bumpy, restlessness, loss of concentration, bowel problems, bad sweats, chills etc and I know it's not the dose or the buprenorphine because I use to buy generic subutex off the street before this program and never once had a side effect! I never did iv use ever or snorted anything which I'm sure my doctor knows because I told her the first visit before getting suboxone. Never even done herion just pain pills. My sub doc even believes it's the naloxone causing side effects but she said she only prescribes buprenorphine to pregnant women. I don't want to sell or abuse subutex just want to stop the sickness. The doctor can do pills counts and drug tests and check for needle marks idc. Other places I called local to me either don't accept Medicaid nor prescribes subutex either. Thought any suboxone doctor could prescribe subutex! Suboxone films can be abused also. The naloxone is supposed to stop iv use only but I seen ex friends prepare the films for iv use and shoot up and they get high without getting sick.. I never touched a needle and never will. I'm horrified of it. Buprenorphine is the main ingredient and stops the cravings and withdrawals and blocks other opiates. Some doctors want u to think the naloxone is the opiate blocker but it's not. I done my research and asked my primary doctor. Anyways is it possibly my doctors policy that she can't or won't prescribe subutex to ppl with no history of iv use and who are sick from naloxone or are they just being stuck up?? I just want to stay clean and get better without being sick that's all.. I don't want a high anymore just a normal life with my kids!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm 

Hey Krissy :)

I understand how frustrating it must be for u to have finally found something like suboxone to help control ur addiction and then have a hard time because it's making u feel sick. That's gotta suck big time. I just wanted to tell ya that my Dr doesn't prescribe subutex either. If someone gets pregnant at my clinic, they're transferred to another Dr about 30 min away in order to start getting subutex. I guess that also goes for ppl who's allergic to naloxone too. I have no idea why that is, I'm assuming that the Dr who can prescribe suboxone surly can prescribe subutex but personally I have no idea. Maybe it's some type of liability or something. Maybe one of the doctors that's members here will help answer ur questions.

I just wanted to tell ya that my Dr doesn't prescribe it either. I always wondered why even though I don't need it, it's definitely a good question. I hope u can start feeling better soon or figure out a solution. Maybe ur body will finally adjust to the sub. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I'm assuming that the Dr who can prescribe suboxone surly can prescribe subutex but personally I have no idea. Maybe it's some type of liability or something

It is choice or response to marketing that doctors do not prescribe Subutex. They are both schedule III and subject to the same rules and restrictions. There is nothing special or restricted about Subutex, just recommendations. I am changing malpractice insurance companies and there are no questions or restrictions with any of the insurance companies I have been with the past 4 years. In my experience if the reasons are documented and followup is appropriate there is no pushback from the regulatory agencies. Subutex is routinely denied by insurance companies and usually takes at least an appeal to get it approved.
Krissy, a few people have had some resolution of their symptoms by spitting out the saliva after the 10 minute absorption period. That way you are reducing even further the amount of naloxone in your system which is absorbed in the GI tract, not the mouth.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm 

Hello Krissy,
Welcome. .
This subject has come up time and again. I gave up 4 years ago trying to find a dr willing to rx me Buprenorphine only.

The fact that you are sick with simptoms is a concern. They only thing you can do is to keep showing up to appointments and showing her your physical problems.

She is worried. About what ive no idea. It could be dea or it is just protocols not to put anyone on subutex. Mis and disinformation continue to nurt the patient. And its a damn shame.

Really sorry your suffering Krissy. I really dont have much else to say about it . Keep lookingng for another dr?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea it sucks because some ppl really does get sick from naloxone. And there are ppl out there that never used needles for a high such as myself. Only ever popped pills orally. Pain pills is my only addiction. They have a generic subutex and ik ppl that gets them. Both drugs contains buprenorphine so I don't understand and both can be abused. I just want to live normal and not be sick. Areas close by to me don't accept Medicaid and I'm low income or they say they don't prescribe subutex either and my primary doctor don't deal with buprenorphine period. Also my primary doctor sent a fax over to my sub doc and said they believe also it's the naloxone making me sick and my sub doctor believes the same! She prescribes it to pregnant women though which don't make sense because pregnant addict women can abuse the subutex and that's the main reason doctors don't prescribe subutex is because of the abuse. I don't c why they won't give good honest ppl like me that never IVd or snorted drugs a chance and do pill counts and drug tests.. If naloxone makes them sick.. Doc told me to swallow all saliva after meds dissolve and don't spit cause it will waste the drug. I think if a doctor can prescribe it to pregnant women then they can prescribe it to ppl that gets sick off of naloxone. I know alot of ppl that gets subutex tabs so it can't be because Medicaid don't pay for it. They have the generic form and I can't go to another doctor. The doctors can probably get into trouble for prescribing it to a iv user or herion addict. Will they stop my treatment and tell me to go else where when I go back to doctor and tell them it still is making me sick? No where else around me takes Medicaid and if they do accept Medicaid they don't prescribe subutex. I'm at a dead end and scared to go to doc Friday for the fear they will tell me I can no longer be seen due to the suboxone making me sick and they don't prescribe subutex or have any other options ..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't mind taking the suboxone if it didn't make me sick but it does. I don't want to be high or abuse nothing. Just want a happy life with my kids.. Just scared now cause I'm afraid doctor will tell me they can no longer help me. I even talked to my doctor on phone yesterday and she was over talking me and I couldn't say all I wanted to say. I told her im still sick from it and she said she would talk to another doctor in the same office and that she prescribes subutex to pregnant women only. Just scared I will b thrown out and I like that program it's close and convenient and I have no car so I depend on my ride to take me but he can't take me far too another doctor. And with my doctor I only go twice a month. Do y'all think she will stop my treatment and tell me to go elsewhere? I'm a Medicaid patient which doctors really don't care about if I was self paid it would be a different story. So stressed. The suboxone really does help with withdrawals and I haven't used since I just get sick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm new here but wanted to share my exp. I have been going to the same clinic for over 6 years, and during my induction it was a group of us all getting dosed at the same time. One gentleman in my induction would throw up no matter how strong/weak his dose was and they immediately switched him to subutex for induction day 2, which cleared up all his side effects. I was switched to subutex while pregnant and breastfeeding, then switched back to Subs. I guess the issue is many dr's aren't too informed about the difference, and as it does not have the Naloxone they automatically assume all people will try to shoot it. Unconscious bias at its finest. Can you switch dr's? Years ago it was easy, but in my state there's wait lists out the wazoo, no one is taking new patients anywhere, and one non-comply gets you kicked regardless of reason, so where I am switching isn't an option, but for you I would look into it. The most common symptom that you can't tolerate Naloxone is nausea and vomiting immediately during/after your dose. I hope you have some luck! It's terrible to finally be going in the right direction but still sick :( have you tried breaking up your doses a bit, not doing so much at one time?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your feed back. And in my area there is also long waiting lists and most places don't accept Medicaid which I have and if they do take Medicaid then they also don't prescribe subutex. So I'm stuck where I'm at. I tried cutting doses but still have side affects just not as strong. When I did subutex whole off the street 8mg never had a side effect not one. I'm real sensitive to alot of meds. Just afraid that when I go back to my sub doc tomorrow they gonna tell me I'm not fit for the program being that I'm getting sick from the medicine they give cause they only prescribe subutex to pregnant women in low doses.. I would rather be sick then use again and I can't afford to be cut from this program I got kids and can't do it anymore. Want to live normal for myself and my kids just hope they won't tell me I have to find another doctor cause I called around every place that was close to me and I have no car so got to depend on one ride to take me to the doctor and he can't be driving everywhere to take me. Unless they will have another solution or try me on subutex despite their rules or dis wants or just keep me on suboxone even tho I get sick. I don't why they would just do that just because I'm sick and I good they don't start tapering me to get off of it within the next 2 weeks I only been on the program for 4 weeks and that's not enough recovery time for a addict like me that's been on pain pills on and off for 12 years and use to taking 200mg of oxys a day. I maybe been clean from pain pain 2 years in all the 12 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your feed back. And in my area there is also long waiting lists and most places don't accept Medicaid which I have and if they do take Medicaid then they also don't prescribe subutex. So I'm stuck where I'm at. I tried cutting doses but still have side affects just not as strong. When I did subutex whole off the street 8mg never had a side effect not one. I'm real sensitive to alot of meds. Just afraid that when I go back to my sub doc tomorrow they gonna tell me I'm not fit for the program being that I'm getting sick from the medicine they give cause they only prescribe subutex to pregnant women in low doses.. I would rather be sick then use again and I can't afford to be cut from this program I got kids and can't do it anymore. Want to live normal for myself and my kids just hope they won't tell me I have to find another doctor cause I called around every place that was close to me and I have no car so got to depend on one ride to take me to the doctor and he can't be driving everywhere to take me. Unless they will have another solution or try me on subutex despite their rules or dis wants or just keep me on suboxone even tho I get sick. I don't why they would just do that just because I'm sick and I good they don't start tapering me to get off of it within the next 2 weeks I only been on the program for 4 weeks and that's not enough recovery time for a addict like me that's been on pain pills on and off for 12 years and use to taking 200mg of oxys a day. I maybe been clean from pain pain 2 years in all the 12 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Meant I hope that doc don't start tapering when I go back tomorrow cause it's too soon to.. only been on the program for 4 weeks.. She has mentioned two weeks ago that they could start me a early taper if I continue to get sick afraid that's gonna happen tomorrow or that she gonna tell me that I no longer qualify for their program cause I keep getting sick. Even had my fiance call my doc the other day to ask if I could be switched just to make sure cause I was too sick to call that day so he called and asked questions for me and she called him back the next day and talked to him then got on the phone with me and said she would speak to another doctor about this and that they only prescribe subutex to pregnant women and I asked her why not if a person had no history of iv use or snorting drugs and she just kept over Talking me cause she was in a rush now I go see her tomorrow and she may think by my fiance calling that I'm up to something and dismiss me. I pass all drug tests and I'm sure the suboxone shows up in every urine test or I would of been questioned already. I take the suboxone daily. Hope I didn't mess myself up there but I was so desperate with my sickness that I had him to call and ask questions but prior to that call 3 days ago she known I got sick from the medicine. Any thoughts? Plus my fiance don't do any type or drug nor does he drink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

By the way I'm on 8/2mg strips twice a day so that's 16mg total a day but not at once.