It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

How many of you have been on suboxone maintenance more than once? What i mean when i say that is got on sub maintenance, got clean, and decided to get back on it?? Me personally, I was on suboxone maintenance on subutex for about 9 months, got off of it because i went to rehab. I was still using occasionally so i went to rehab and had to go through cold turkey sub withdrawal (sucked). And for personal reasons i decided to go back on suboxone maintenance after having around 75 days clean. I know PAWS lasts awhile and it takes a long time to feel normal, but for me i didn't think it was worth it to risk relapsing AGAIN, i'd rather be on suboxone. So i basically got back on it because i still dabbled in subs occasionally (getting high), and was having opiate cravings; figured it wouldnt be worth it to relapse back on heroin. So how many of you have gotten completely clean of all opiates and everything else for a period of time after getting of suboxone, only to go back onto suboxone maintenance?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:20 pm 

Hey Vann,
Welcome to the forum. Id say there are many who have done this, and for the very reason you have given.
Relapse is can and does happen. Glad you decided to avoid all the problems this can bring Vann.
Are you doing ok? Your not feeling guilty about it are you? I sure hope not. Your saving your life.
I like to tell people to try to see Sub as a medicine and not a drug. This may be hard for you now. But
My guess is others who have come back on Buprenorphine will chime in .
This is a great forum and if you havnt gone over to Dr Junigs Talkzone id take a look at his blog post there too.

Keep posting Vann. .

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on sub for about 16 months, and I'm doing so we'll, far better than I ever was during my decade plus of active addiction, so I don't expect to ever stop taking them. I'm grateful for what this medicine has done for me. That said, if ever the time came that I did taper off of it, and I felt myself in danger of relapse or I did relapse, I wouldn't hesitate to go right back on buprenorphine, and resume my counseling. I know and have experienced all the good this med can do if used properly, and thank goodness haven't had any side effects that I'd call deal breakers, so I'd definitely do it if needed. I know a lady who was off sub for a little over 3 years, and while she was "clean", a term I don't particularly like, she was miserable, depressed, and just wasn't motivated, eventually she did relapse, and after several months of using, came to her senses and went back to her doctor to get back on her medication. She's doing way better, and is now in her last year of nursing school. So, hey if it works. ..keeps you healthy and normal and productive, I'm all for it.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello there,
I can actually answer Yes to your question (unfortunately). I had an opiate pill addiction age 15-25 and then from 25-30 using heroin. So at age 29 I finally got out of control and went to rehab both for me and my wife and family and got on suboxone. I was kicked out of the 12 step for my using of cannabis but my Dr at the recovery place still offered me medical assistance if I saw a therapist there once a month. I was on it for about a year and weaned myself off for reasons believing I would be a better person off all medications like I was as a sober kid. So it was agonizing to get off the first time and then I started getting bad migraines and anhedonia/Paws that was crushing so I relapsed and decided to get back on subs after being clean for about a year. Here I am 3 months back on subs and am taking less then 1mg a day because I was thinking about weaning myself off with a new baby here. But after reading your post and others advice I'm not sure its the best idea for me to stop right now. I realize I wasn't very happy during my sobriety either and was prone to just go back to using especially with frequent migraines that made me want to blow my head off. SO Im starting to think I am better off on the medication and that just may be the best path for me, right now anyways. I think I will be talking to my Dr and therapist about this before I make my decision but what really helps is my wife supports me either way which is a huge relief. SO I can relate to your circumstance and if there is anything that you want to know don't hesitate to ask us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can answer YES to your question too.

I was on suboxone for 2 years and my insurance quit paying for it, so I tried to taper off of it. I was successful, but only to get hooked on Benzos trying to get off of Subs.

I ended up going to rehab and got clean off of everything, however after rehab and 1 year of clean time, I had cravings every day. I knew if I had the opportunity to get my hands on opiates I would relapse, and I did.

So after the relapse I went back to my same sub doctor and got on Zubsolv and now I only take a little bit once a day for maintenance. I am totally a happier and more productive person now that I am back on it again.