It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi all,

I made the conscious choice to "kick" my prescribed pain meds (Oxycodone/Norco)
about 45 days ago. I never drank even once during the 2 years I was on them.

Recently I've discovered that sub is very effective for me as an alcohol deterrant.

When I take suboxone (~2mg/day) I feel no desire whatsovever to drink, and I had
a long alcohol history before.

Maybe some of you experts out there could tell me if there's any validity to the use
of Suboxone for this purpose. I can't find anything on the net about it...

Thanks, replies appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think there's any evidence to back it up, scientifically speaking. We've actually discussed this topic before. Many of us also feel no real desire to drink and those that do still drink, seem to drink much less. Unfortunately I can't remember which thread it was that we talked about it on. I know I've had three beers sitting in my fridge for the last few months without me touching them. Just don't care to, but no one seems to know why.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think I have heard that naltrexone is sometimes used to help with alcohol cravings so I wonder if possibly the naloxone in the suboxone could have something to do with it? I know naloxone is not the same as naltrexone (and I STILL get them sort of confused) but still, I wonder if it could be the naloxone that has the effect of reducing desire for alcohol. I used to always turn to alcohol whenever I tried to stop using narcotics but on suboxone that's not the case. I still do drink sometimes but mostly I dont' want to that much. And even when I've decided I want to drink and get drunk, I still dont' seem to want to drink like I used to drink when I decided I wanted to get drunk. I used to really overdo it, now after a few drinks and achieving a buzz, I tend to want to stop.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It sure makes drinking suck even worse than it already does! haha. I went to a wedding this past weekend and had about three or four shots of rum and HATED it. The next day I felt terrible. I agree with the others that say that it is a bit of a deterrent when it comes to alcohol consumption. I have very little desire to drink, and when I do, it is not a good time at all. I don't know why, but I seem to feel ten times as hungover the next day. I have been on Suboxone for almost a month now, and have only drank two times. The first time I had a glass and a half of wine, but I still felt a bit hungover the next day. After this weekend, I have realized that drinking just isn't for me anymore. I hardly drank when I was actively addicted to narcotics, and it seems that now I have even less of a desire to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think I remember one of my teachers mentioning that buprenorphine is currently being studied as a potential treatment for alcoholism.

I just googled buperenorphine and alcoholism and got a bunch of links to studies - one with rats showed reduced consumption.

So I guess it's being looked into.

-Jack Kornfield