It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:54 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi all,
Of course I don't take my suboxone out of it's wrapper until I use it, but then why is it loosing it's potency towards the end of the month?
When I first fill my script my meds work fine, good even, but by week three my suboxone begins to loose it's strength. It's not that my tolerance is just getting higher, because when I first get a new script it works great; it's only towards the end of the month that they get weaker.
I also make sure I keep them stored in a cool dry place.
Any suggestions???
Thank you
Jennifer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm Jennifer, I don't know. I don't think I remember seeing anyone else complain of this, I guess it's possible it could be losing effectiveness a little bit. Have you checked the exp. date on the strips? Are you getting some older ones that have been sitting around on the pharmacy shelf for too long?

Are you taking the exact same amount every single day, or does your dose fluctuate a bit?

I'm kind of grasping at straws here Jennifer...I'm not sure I have a good answer for you!

Check your dates and let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm with Q..

After 6 years, I never experienced this. I would have off days, randomly, where maybe I didn't take the same amount, but not what you describe. Hope you can get to the bottom of whatever it is. Is there any possible way it could be mental? As in subconscious? Maybe you don't realize it but anxiety towards the end of the month, and knowing it's almost time to refill/ go to the doctors, could be effecting the way you're feeling and perhaps the sub's effectiveness.

I know that whenever I had anxiety, I always felt a little off, because w/d & anxiety kind of go hand in hand. Just my 2 cents..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the quick responses. The expiration dates are definitely not out of date; that's one thing I check for each time I get my script filled. I do on occasion take less than prescribed one day, so I can take an extra half on the days I work out or have a lot of psychical activity to do. Exertion tends to make me feel sick, so that's why I do that. However, I'll do that in the beginning & the end of the month; and it's only during the end of the month when the meds begin to feel weaker.
The whole "anxiety" aspect actually sounds spot-on. I have anxiety issues as it is, and about a week & a half before I go to the doctor (the same time my meds get weaker) my nerves do tend to change for the worst. It's not that I'm ever worried about dropping dirty or anything, because I'm never dirty. I suppose the stigma of having to be in that environment might be the stressor. For 19 years I was an addict of some sort and going to therapists, counselors, & mental hospitals was a part of my daily life; being there again pisses me off. I feel like I don't belong there, because I'm not that person any more. So, tinydancer, thanks for the clarification. Sometimes the answers are too close to see and it takes someone far away to see the answer.
I appreciate you two answering me so promptly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No problem, Jenny!

I only thought to bring it up because I had horrible anxiety surrounding my doc visits and I know that anxiety mimics w/d feeling. I hope that's what it is for you because it's easier to conquer when you know what it is. *hugs*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is one reason I was not a fan of the films, this never happened to me but the fact that they have nothing to protect them from degradation except the wrapper is suspect to me. Makes me think that aside from bypassing the patent years ago they were also made with it in mind that they would degrade faster to prevent people from having an effective stockpile. Before I was on subutex I noticed that the film package had something like a 4 month expiration date vs the 1 year expiration date on the pills, I always felt like I just wasnt getting my moneys worth. At least now they have the generic tabs for people who don't have a doctor who writes subutex, off topic but are there doctors out there who refuse to write for generic suboxone and only will Rx film? If so thats crazy, if the film keeps giving you problems maybe you could give the new generics a try and see how they work, they will undoubtedly have a longer shelf life IMO and maybe you will have better luck. I went from brand name suboxone tablets to the film and then to generic subutex so Ive taken all forms and I can say for anyone worrying generics don't match up in terms of potency they have worked great for me and I actually take less now then I did back then.