It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Besides the fact you look cute, yea it was really crazy coming off all that shit all in which i was doing for 7 plus years. Yes it is true that even rehabs and detoxes don't really no how much detox or how to treat long term suboxone use. There just starting to scratch the surface with it. Its pretty nuts because they deal with it every day so you would think they no. All i know in both places they told me that it goes very deep into the tissues of the body and stay there thats what makes the withdrawal crazy. My legs were in so much pain. I had uncontrollable muscle contractions...my legs would lock on me, i lost 27 pounds in almost 3 weeks, because i didn't eat or sleep. I'm sure a slow tapper is better but for me the rapid detox was nuts, but im glad i did it. Keep up the good work and get off that shit, whatever works for you. And being off everything now i actually feel like a man again so if you want to tell me where your from great hit me up, im always traveling all over..im from new york lol ..good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow amazing story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys. Still at .375 here. I'm waiting for the leg pain to let up. That seems to be a symptom that my body likes to have and it comes on by 3 or 4 everyday, so about 20 hours after I dose. I feel like I still have a way to go, because I have to get to .125 and then go to skipping days. I hope I can do it!! Honestly, the microgram thing may sound nuts, but I started the microgram thing because it got so hard to drop!! If I only had a week to myself to not have to sleep, I'd jump and be done.

I am still scared. I've called tons of rehab places and people have a really tough time getting off Sub. Not sure what part the stacking effect plays in that.

Where there's a will, though, there's always a way, right?

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ladder your dose is going down down down. the hell with the stacking effect .
your going to do this; with little discomfort . your dose is going to be so low" there won't be
much of a stacking effect. you will do this , don't worry about the year's you have been on it.
its in the passed going and gone. believe me. God no's it won't be that uncomfortable .
the stacking effect is dissipating every time you drop the dose too. i'm sorry that i'm not making to much sense
but you are such a nice person. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to second everything johnboy just said!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Johnboy, that made perfect sense and thank you so much for your support. I put in a .25 day yesterday, which is a whole 1/3 less than .375!! You know, you are the sweetheart, Johnboy.

Romeo.....you got your 60-day chip!!!! WOOHHOOO!!

Thanks you guys,
laddertipper

Post subject: Thank you!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

After reading this original post, I just felt so, so, so down....And then after reading what you wrote doctor, I felt instantly SO MUCH BETTER! You are so right!!!!

I was a 100 MG methadone user for years. Whenever I hear people say something similar to "suboxone withdrawal was so horrible, I could barely work, or I still went to work but it was hell..." I either think that I was a huge baby when it came to my methadone withdrawal, or suboxone withdrawal really is not that horrible...Or maybe, it is horrible to people who have never experienced any other kind of withdrawal, but is much better when compared to methadone withdrawal.

But, even besides that, you are right!!!!!!! And I love you for it. Where would I be without Suboxone? Oh, I can tell you, most certainly, most certainly, most certainly dead by now. I have no doubt. I had no other options. I got on Suboxone when I had *NOTHING* left for me...I was at the end of my ropes...and I was lucky to find Suboxone, because I did not even know it existed. Yes, I am physically addicted to something new, but it is damn worth it!!!!!! I have been clean almost 3 years now...have my Associate's degree and am now going for my Bachelor's...I am actually living *LIFE*! It's funny how a person takes the little things for granted until they don't have them for so long, then are finally able to have them.....Like getting up and watching the news while drinking some coffee, going on a bike ride with the family, taking the dog for a walk, having a family dinner...just having normal conversation......all things that were hindered by my active addiction.

Even if I have to take Suboxone every day for the rest of my life (although it is really hard for me to picture myself being 90 putting a sub under my tongue), then so be it..because it is so much better than where I was at.

And one more thing you're right about!!!! That girl WAS addicted, and she DID quit suboxone!!! And that say's A LOT. Also, while I know vicodin is addictive, it's definitely not the most addictive........I just know that my Vicodin led to other things - ultimately methadone.

Ok, I'm done. This is mainly a rambling, but thank you doc! It is OK to be on Suboxone! A diabetic couldn't just say one day, "Oh, I am going to stop taking my insulin." No!!! They would die....I have a disease and I am treating it the best way I know possible, and it is very evident that my treatment is and HAS worked! So, thank you very much!

One thing is for sure though....it's not as easy for an addict to get suboxone as it is for a diabetic to get their insulin. What if my doctor dies? Suddenly quits? Yes, I am prepared as I can be......but it does still leave me feeling as if I am a slave to this medication...

But before I go get all depressed again...let me think......What's better? Having some worry about suboxone and "being a slave to it" or being in active addiction.....Luckily, I don't have to think hard for the answer to that question.

suboxdoc wrote:
I'm a little disappointed in all you folks, after all the lecturing I do!! I'm kidding-- sort of, anyway! I agree that the dose of 32 mg was too high-- but the 7 year part is not 'too long'. 'Suboxone7years' is doing what many people do; blaming Suboxone rather than blaming his opiate addiction. We don't know what would have happened, had the person NOT had Suboxone, but read the history. The person was addicted to opiates for 10 years! My active addiction lasted only 6 months-- and that was enough to give me cravings even after 7 years of being totally off medications or substances (i.e. not on Suboxone or anything else-- just tons of meetings). So a person who has been on opiates for ten years is SERIOUSLY ADDICTED. After my 6 months of use, I went through treatment that consisted of 3 1/2 months residential (after a week of horrible detox), and then 6 years of aftercare (group twice per week for a few years, then once per week).

I must admit to a bit of skepticism over 7yrs report, just because Suboxone was not available in the US until 2003-- so I don't know how he/she got to 7 yrs of use followed by the time in withdrawal between 2003 and 2009. Yes, DATA2000 was the act that allowed 'treatment of opiate dependence using opiates on schedule III through V', but Suboxone was not approved or sold until mid 2003. Maybe '7yrs' means '6yrs'-- no biggie, as I tend to exaggerate as well.

'7years' had 10 years to quit opiates-- and then thanks to Suboxone was finally able to get free. And after 7 years of freedom, she complains about 20 or 30 days of withdrawal?! She also blames that on the Suboxone-- but you also have to blame it on the 10 years of using before Suboxone! What makes 7 years think that all the withdrawal is just Suboxone's fault? 7years, let me point out to you that you COULDN'T quit the other drugs-- but you COULD quit the Suboxone. What does that tell a logical person about which one is harder to get off?

I have detoxed more than I ever wanted to... and I have seen many, many people go off many things (I'm medical director of a large residential center in addition to my practice). As I have pointed out, I couldn't walk during my detox! People going off Suboxone tend to go to work and complain about how sick they feel-- people going off agonists tend to like in a bed in a detox ward or at home, and they don't complain-- because they are too weak to talk! I'm sorry you felt miserable, 7years, but have you ever 'jumped' from 30 mg of methadone? Or come off heroin? You must have at least seen the movies-- they call it 'kickin'' because the legs kick constantly. That was MY detox-- I lost 30 pounds, and for days I was up around the clock, legs kicking, body shaking and shivering, sweating like crazy, nausea and diarrhea at the same time-- after a month I could walk about 50 feet without needing to sit down and rest-- and that was a huge improvement!

But none of this even gets to the real issue. 7years, how do you plan to stay clean going forward? Given the time factors I mentioned above, you couldn't have been clean for more than a couple months so far-- opiate dependence is a relapsing condition. Everyone is certain it won't happen to them, but... it happens to even those who are working a very intensive recovery program. That is why the recommendation, more and more, is to STAY on Suboxone! Yes, if you are a masochist who wants to watch your family get destroyed, go out on the quest for 'pure sobriety'. But I recommend against it. My own relapse occurred after 7 years of very good recovery-- I was 'all AA and NA' for years before my relapse. If anyone thought I would return to that life, I'd say they were crazy fools. But you know what? People DID say I was flirting with disaster when I stopped meetings... and they were right.

Now we have Suboxone, so people like 7yrs can enjoy freedom without the work of 90 meetings in 90 days followed by years of aftercare. That is fine-- but it isn't really fair, after enjoying the freedom the medication gave you, to claim that you didn't really need it, and wish you hadn't taken it. You very well might be dead or in prison had it not been there. In light of that, a month of feeling sick is a good deal-- better than the work I put into my freedom. But your work is just starting, if you are so convinced you will never take Suboxone. Feel free to stop back in a year and boast, if you are still clean-- and I hope for your sake that you are. But I often point out that the people who complain about Suboxone are usually people with a few clean months, as those people have themselves fooled into thinking they are all done with addiction... I have put offers out on some of the Subox-hater sites asking for someone with 5 years clean to talk to me-- and so far, I haven't found a soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thanks ladder. i hope i do no that. congrat's on 60 romeo