It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I guess this would be aimed towards those in the medical and/or pharmacy business:
I am catching up on old episodes of the medical drama E.R. and I'm at the point where Noah Wyle's character Dr. John Carter goes to rehab for his painkiller addiction. After he gets out, he's at the re-hiring interview with Dr. Greene and Dr. Weaver and one of them pulls a bottle of pills out and says to Dr. Carter; "XXX (I couldn't understand what she called the medication but it sounded like it started with an N and ended with 'ine') Blocks the effects of...."
Dr. Carter interrupted; "...the effects of opiate euphoria, I know! It protects me."
"It protects all of us."
And then tell him he needs to start taking 50mgs a day starting right now if he wants to work by next week.
They make him take it front of them, but not under the tongue. They hand him a glass of water and the medication and he takes the pills by swallowing with the glass of water.
Now come my question! I bet you thought I'd never come to a question, huh? Was there/is there a type of drug with similar effects of Suboxone, the stopping the opiate effects effect, but that's not a partial opiate that you take by swallowing? At fifty milligrams a day the first starting dosage? Or was/is this just more half-truths and fabrications of television 'magic'?

Just curious!

~Ami

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Skayda,

The medicine is called Naltrexone. It blocks opiates and their effects. Unlike Suboxone, Naltrexone provides no mu receptor stimulation. It just occupies the receptor, blocking any other opiate from getting to it.

Anyone currently on opiates CAN NOT take Naltrexone as it would cause Precipitated Withdrawal, that's my understanding of it anyway.

Because I have been off Suboxone for many months now, I have considered taking Naltrexone to negate any relapses I might have. I am still considering it very strongly, I just haven't completely made up my mind about it yet?

From what I have been reading, 50mg is a pretty typical dose. The pills I looked at buying online were 50mg pills.

Hope this helped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, it's Naltrexone, and you really DO NOT WANT to take it if there is the slightest trace of opiates in your system as you will go into withdrawal big style. It is present in Suboxone as a deterrent against crushing and injecting the tablets, as some were reportedly doing with the old Subutex medication. The Naltrexone molecule is too large to be properly absorbed if the Suboxone tablet is taken in the correct manner i.e. under the tongue, but is absorbed fully if injected and will cause swift withdrawal.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Suboxone contains *nalaxone*, not *naltrexone*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

nalaxone, naltrexone....doesnt matter...rehab gave it to me when i left inpatient and i took it a couple times then relapsed because i felt like shit still. no matter what the PAWS got to me ...so yes subs have it but they also have the bup which makes it alot better then taking nalaxone alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just thought I'd weight in here quickly. Very good job, Romeo, in providing some great and correct information. Moman is right on track as well. Welcome back Sneaky. Where in the heck have you been???

There actually is a difference in Naloxone and Naltrexone. It's sort of like comparing Ibuprophrine and Tylenol. Yeah, they are both pain killers but they work in different ways, come in different doses, etc. Naloxone is the drug that is in Suboxone and is at a rather low dose (25% of the Bup dose - either 2 or 0.5 mg depending on the tab) If swallowed or taken sublingually, Narcan (naloxone) has little to no effect. That is not the case with Naltrexone. There are many other differences as well - including how long it lasts, etc.

At the end of the day, both drugs are certainly "cousins" but (once again) in the interest of accuracy, they really are different drugs.

ER was actually very often right on track with their medical accuracy. Dr. Carter went through addiction (and relapse) and at one point, in the early years, they had an episode where a rapid detox was done on an infant.