It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Suboxone Levels are low?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Im new to this forum thing, but i am currently seeing a sub doctor, and they prescribed me 1.5 8mg strips per day... They take a urine test every week that i go in there to test for opiates and see if im still clean... Also they send out my urine to see if my levels are good so they know that im not getting rid of them on the streets, my first levels test was okay, 2nd was low, 3rd was low and so on until now my 7th visit and they are saying my levels are really low... they said if my levels are low again i am going to have to come in for five consecutive days and take the sub in front of them, and then they will send my urine again to see if my levels went up.... but the thing here is that i work 7 days a week 8-5 and i wouldnt have time to do this, seeing that they are only open til 5.... My question here is: Are urine level tests accurate? Would any medications make me have a lower level? I take the med exactly as prescribed under the tongue, this cannot happen!!! I have had a cold the past week, and have taken congestion meds: guaifenesin and phenylephrine,,,, i also take a sleep aid at night, benadryl/diphenhydramine, and have taken airborne supplements for my immune system which is a mix of vitamins, would these affect the levels???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI dustyshelves 8) (I have plenty of those)

well, this is a really tough question...... did you try telling your doctor about the other meds your taking?????
I definitely would have. Becuz it's really hard to tell, what can cause levels of anything to lower/raise
Like the adhd meds Im on, I just found out that vitamin C, totally deplets the medicine from your body :oops:
Nice, huh??

anyways, Im not sure what to tell you................ If it were ME, I would take the office up on their "five consecutive days of dosing" to prove I wasn't lying. and I'd definitely explain to the doctor (not the assistants) about your JOB and not being able to make it by 5......... I'd ask if there was any way someone could stay late, or come in early to compromise. then,,,, if THAT didn't work, I'd just tell my boss, and try to make it at lunch time, or arrange a time, that the boss would be 'good' with me going. you don't even have to say it's suboxone, you could say whatever you wanted to, or maybe ask the doctor to write you a note of some kind saying you need to come to the office daily, for five
consecutive days.
My boss knows Im on suboxone, though. And my doctors office is only five miles from my work.

I know not every situation is like that.
When you think about your priorities though, and I KNOW working is a huge one, but so is your recovery.........
there's gotta be a way, somehow you can work it out.
Is there a hospital your doctor's office is affiliated with???
the clinic where my doctor is, has an "urgent care" center, and when I couldnt make it in, for strip counts, during office hours, he let me go there, and one of the nurses would do it with me.
Ive also taken drug tests there, when it was difficult to get to the dr. office to do so.

There's a couple ideas for you.
I hope you DO find something that works, so you can continue your suboxone treatment.
If not, I guess its time to look for another doctor...............which would really suck, but if that's the only option?

https://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioi ... octor.aspx
this lets you put in your zip code,and how far your willing to travel, gives you a list of dr.s and phone numbers

http://www.treatmentmatch.org/ while this one, you answer some questions and set up a profile, and a doctor or doctorS contact you, either by phone or email

well, I hope this helps in one way or another,
and I really do wish you the very best of luck :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Urine drug-level tests aren't very accurate. It's for this reason that people on meds that need regular level checks .. always have blood test. Lithium level tests is one example.

Another thing that's really important if you wanna have a nice high test is to understand how our levels of buprenorphine fluctuate throughout the day. Whenever a person take oral medication, their levels peak shortly after ... and hit a trough (lowest level in the day) just before they take their next dose. How deep that trough goes depends on a few things, mainly dose and a persons rate of metabolism.

If you wanna pass this test (which is a fucking bullshit test anyway) ... try and have your dose of Sub within a couple of hours before your test. If you can't pull that off because of work hours, maybe split your dose on that day, having half in the morning and half a couple of hours before your test.

Also, if your levels are too low to keep your doctor happy, have you noticed yourself getting any mild withdrawal symptoms leading up to your next dose?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is really stupid and totally wrong. How and why is it that doctors have been turned into police investigators or detectives? What's the point? This is not THEIR job. Are you having trouble with the Suboxone? Is it not working for you? If that's the case, yeah, they need to get to the bottom of it, but somehow they have become police invetigators in order to prove you are not guilty of diversion - and at your/our expense. Somehow this crap needs to stop. These tests are very, very, very expensive - hundreds of dollars to perform. And for what purpose???? The ONLY purpose in this case is to prove the patient is not diverting.

As to your case, what are the metabolite levels? They should be able to see that. Depending on the type of test, they not only look at the level in your urine, but also how much was metabozlied and how much was not. That is part of this equasion. You take "X" amount into your system and "X" amount is metabolized while "X" amount is wasted out. If you are not metabolizing at an average level, they should be able to see that in the test.

As for the poster's suggestion to take the Sub an hour or two prior to the test - I don't at all agree and here is why. Again, it's about metabolizing. If you take it say 90 minutes prior (we'll split the difference between one and two hours), it has to get into your blood, through the process, through your kidneys, turned into urine and out of your body. That will not happen in 90 minutes. Your blood level may be up but your urine level may/will not be. Think of it like when you first start drinking beer. You can often go for a long time until you start to have to pee. There is a lag there. It's the same thing here. So that likely won't help you. Sorry.

I may not have helped you directly at all and I'm sorry for that as well. However, you may try to point out to them that they have been turned into police investigators at the expense of your time and your lab fees and that is wrong. You are the patient. Yes, doctors and medical staff do have to take reasonable steps to prevent diversion. I take no issue with that. However, when they stop doing their job of PATIENT HEALTH CARE in favor of doing detective police work, we have a huge problem here... and you can tell them I said so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Woah it's donh! Nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I remember you donh, its good to see you posting again. I was here under a different name in 2010.

Anyway, I agree that testing a patients sub level seems over the top. The doctor is not the police. I have not heard of doctors testing oxy or vicodin levels when they prescribe that shit.

I would do what you have to do so you can get your.script. Then I would look for a new doctor. Good luck and I am sorry you are having this problem.

PS. Could you double your sub dose the morning of your test? or the night before? Just to pass the damn thing? To give you time to find a new doctor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's pretty common knowledge that drinking a lot of water or coffee or whatever before a drug test will dilute the sample greatly. Some people do this to pass drug tests. I wonder if your "sample" has been diluted from drinking too much liquid prior to the test.

Donh, you mention that taking his dose 1 to 2 hours prior to the test is not sufficient. I take a vitamin every morning at 7am, by the time 8:00am or 8:15am rolls around, I'm visiting the restroom to "relieve" myself and my urine is always bright yellow because of the vitamin. It seems my body processes the vitamin pretty quickly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
I take a vitamin every morning at 7am, by the time 8:00am or 8:15am rolls around, I'm visiting the restroom to "relieve" myself and my urine is always bright yellow because of the vitamin. It seems my body processes the vitamin pretty quickly?

I think that is the excess that your body can not absorb which could be most of the vitamin. Vitamins are weird. I think it will be different with the sub...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The only thing about diluting by drinking water is it messes with your creatine levels. Often they use creatine levels to gauge how concentrated your wee is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My understanding is that the suboxone blood level peaks after about 90 min of taking it..

I also think it takes 2 to 5 hours after taking it for sub to distribute to the tissues. So I would guess that if you took sub 2 or 3 hours before the urine test and you didnt drink an insane amount of liquids, that the test should be pretty accurate.

I think we need a doctor to answer this one. Or someone who wants to research it. This is juat what I recall reading.

Either way, I hope the person dealing with this strict doctor is ok.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I get 2.5 suboxone daily and this week my dr. said my concentration levels are too low for my dose! It was 164 I don't understand and does anyone know what it's supposed to be?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:30 am 

You might want to start your own new thread about your problem since this thread is pretty old. You'd be more likely to get views if you start a new thread.

Amy