Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice find Madyson!

I like the article a lot.

Post subject: That's really nice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like it too. I WISH Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA) was a more widely available alternative to AA and NA. I went to DRA for years and those people became my family. Basically, to qualify you need to have experienced an addiction and also have an emotional/psych disorder that requires ongoing medication. Many people there were people who were on Suboxone and they would literally CRY with gratitude at being able to discuss their Sub. They would be shocked at how honest we all were about exactly what we were taking and why. This honesty was the key to me staying sober. Monday nights I went to AA and didn't discuss my Sub, and I never got as much there. When you have to hold something back, it's just not as effective. Thankfully, my sponsor took meds too and she never did anything but look out for my best interests. We worked the steps using the DRA books. People could talk about their anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder....everything was on the table.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the problem with attending 12 step meetings while taking suboxone is that you're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation, allow me to elaborate:

I have, off and on, attended AA and NA and even Rational Recovery (a non-religious recovery group - see www.Rational.org). I have not been to a meeting ever since getting on suboxone because I find that my combination of individual therapy and private group therapy are adequate for my needs. I'm fortunate enough to have insurance that covers the therapy and I can afford to pay out of pocket for the group.

Getting back to "damned if you do, damned if you don't" here's what I mean - one of the foundations of 12 step recovery is being honest. If you're honest in a 12 step meeting about being on suboxone, the fact is, you'll be ostracized, and likely told you can't speak or participate, but just listen. (damned if you do) And if you keep it to yourself, well, then you're not being honest and what's the point of doing a 12 step program based on honesty and personal responsibility if you can't tell the truth, right? (damned if you don't)

However, I have found that the Rational Recovery folks are very open-minded, in general, to suboxone. You can speak at their meetings (if you can find one!) and you can participate in the program just like anyone else.

Since I am an atheist, it also fits better for me because it doesn't come with all of the religious stuff that simply doesn't work for me. I know it works for many, and I think that's incredibly awesome, but it just doesn't really work for me, and whenever I've "worked the steps" with a sponsor I've always felt like a phony, because how do you "give your will" to "god as you understand him" if you don't believe there is a god? Believe me when I tell you, it's a tough spot to be in when you walk into those halls with my belief system and look up on the wall at those steps and realize that you are, for all practical purposes, involving yourself in a religious endeavor. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, it's not "religious" it's "spiritual" right? Well, I'm afraid it doesn't work either way for someone who's built like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Junkie -

The last time I checked the SMART recovery site it said (if I recall correctly) that they used to be known as Rational Recovery. Have you ever heard that? I always like RR in how they dealt with addiction, but I haven't been to a meeting - only their website - in a very long while. I joined SMART's website recently and I really like that program, too. Like you, I'm an atheist and I just feel out of place at a 12-step meeting and really can't fake the whole "higher power" thing. As for it being spiritual, well, that's just as hard for me because I don't believe in a spirit, either. But that's a whole different discussion.

And like Junkie said - I'm thrilled that 12-step programs really help people - and I do believe it can. It's just not for me.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for posting that article. It demonstrates perfectly what I have been trying to explain to my spouse for the last two years. While he was supportive of my treatment, and me being clean, I don't think he ever really "got it" as far as me being on Suboxone. I think that to some extent he thought that I should be doing it all by myself, without a "crutch". I just shared the article with him, and I think it may have finally sunk in for him, for I was never really able to articulate this before without sounding like I was rationalizing. Thanks again!!! :D

Post subject: article on suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i enjoyed the article as well. I think that it brought out the importance of not being critical of things just because you don't know much about them or because you have some preconceived notions about something. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. : :lol: