It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on Suboxone for 2 years now and my dose wears off quickly. I've been trying to taper down but with the amount of hours I work a day it seems impossible. I've also had my insurance company drop me recently and since suboxone is very expensive I've thought of going back on methadone. As much as I'd like to be off everything, I just don't think that's possible at this time cause I have a wife who's not employed to take care of. I feel trapped, any ideas? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like you've grown tolerant to your dose. It's pretty darn common to be honest. Options? Increase your dose, and become more dependent on Sub. Bite the bullet and stay on your current dose until you find yourself in a place motivated enough to reduce in the future. Or man up and reduce now.

Unfortunately this happens with maintenance. Your idea to switch back to methadone is counterproductive, because in my experience this "dose creep" phenomenon is much more noticeable on methadone than on Sub. If you keep giving into the need for more opioid stimulation, you'll find yourself on 150ml of the 'done in no time. That feeling of being trapped you speak of is also a lot more daunting on methadone than on Sub IMO.

I'd suggest sticking on your present dose and going with it for now, and reach some level of acceptance of the situation. In time you may find yourself more ready to reduce, and let the real repairs begin.