It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey all,

I've been stable on 24mg of Suboxone for the past couple months. Unfortunately, due to some illegal activity committed in my past, I will be sentenced to a 4-6 month intensive impatient "treatment" program on December 8th. I spoke with the program director who said Suboxone was a restricted medication. So, because of this, I will start tapering off Suboxone in November under my Doctors supervision.

This is pretty discouraging to me as I was doing very well on the Suboxone.

Any encouraging words of advise?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 am 
I'm sure sorry about what you're faced with! I think it is outrageous when a treatment program, whether it's court-mandated, licensing board mandated, or just a public or private meeting group for addicts, dictates that OUR recovery must be abstinence based! Why the heck should you have to "fix" something that aint broke!! You're doing well on Suboxone, staying out of trouble, not abusing drugs - leave it alone for Gods sake!!
Sorry for ranting - I just feel bad for you. I ended up having to give up my nursing license because abstinence based recovery was NOT WORKING for me. With Suboxone, I know that I would have had no problem fulfilling each and every requirement of the peer assistance program I was involved in. But I'll never get the chance because Suboxone is not allowed.
When is everybody gonna get with the program and see that this medication is not mind or mood altering, that it is almost like an insurance policy against relapse, that our liklihood of staying on the straight and narrow is greatly improved? I just don't get it!!
Well, bottom line is - I guess you don't have a choice. And it doesn't sound like you've got very long to get off your Suboxone. I would imagine that you need to taper immediately. You're on a pretty high dose and in my experience so far and the experience shared by others on the forum - dropping down to 4mg isn't a big deal at all. I went from 12 to 8 to 4 over just a couple of weeks - really didn't feel any significant changes. However, from what I understand dropping below 2 or so mg a day can get more difficult and needs to be done much more slowly. So talk with your doc first, of course, but I would get that dose down to 2-4 mg/day pretty quick so you'll have longer to taper at the smaller doses. Wish you had more time to ensure that this could be painless, but you have to work with what you've got.
Hopefully, the program you'll be attending will be a good one and you'll gain a lot of ground in your recovery. Maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and you'll come out the other side in great shape! I sure hope so!
Take care and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My advice would be the same as setmefree's, and I'd also suggest that you find out what "comfort meds" are not restricted by the impatient program so you can be sure to get them - I had clonidine and ambien during my taper and they helped me greatly. Lots of rehabs use clonidine for withdrawal, so maybe you'll be able to get that at least.

I know this sucks and is probably scary, but it could also be an opportunity to figure out a lot of shit. And when you get out, Sub will still be around for you if you need it.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree, find out what you can take, there has to be something. Doesn't make sense, many programs have accepted methadone for years, and understandably they don't want you to just have tour Rx, but why can't they give you your meds on a daily basis, even if they watch you take your subs?? Well good luck, and use the time wisely, and when you get out hit us up and let us know how it all went!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Most long term programes in the NJ/NY area allow suboxone now. Try to go to a different program. Throw massive amounts of literature at them showing suboxone is used for matinece now. Tell them you'll go to the newspaper and you will state your case in the media and mention how all the other programs allow it and research them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

theosubuckeyez wrote:
Hey all,

I've been stable on 24mg of Suboxone for the past couple months. Unfortunately, due to some illegal activity committed in my past, I will be sentenced to a 4-6 month intensive impatient "treatment" program on December 8th. I spoke with the program director who said Suboxone was a restricted medication. So, because of this, I will start tapering off Suboxone in November under my Doctors supervision.

This is pretty discouraging to me as I was doing very well on the Suboxone.

Any encouraging words of advise?

Thanks!
:arrow: I feel your frustration as I've been there. You should explore your options because there are programs that either use Subox maintainance &/or wean you off followed by Librium for the few days of mild discomfort after Suboxone leaves the receptors. The problem with many 12 Step programs is their antiquated thinking, that this disease and the addict can remain clean by living the program. You can't even mention Suboxone to most in the program as they will not hear of it. How Absurd!!!

Post subject: bummer...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:20 am 
you said it Lindy, it is absurd. But I've started to get used to the twelve-steppers recoiling the second they hear the word "Suboxone" or medication. They've got a lot invested in making people drown in shame and guilt. God, I've gotten grief from these people before for taking Prozac. Supposedly the 12 steps are about removing character defects, but for most of them it just seems to magnify everyone else's faults. And then they think they are in the Holy Seat of Judgement. I live near Richmond, VA and around here there are actually NA meetings where, during the opening of the meeting, it is asked that anyone on a narcotic maintenance drug please leave the meeting and not return until they are truly "clean and sober." OMFG....I am not making this up!

Look, suffer and get through your six months and then get your self back on Suboxone and have a happy life, OK? OK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Listen, keep what you want, and what bullshit
they try to teach you there, let it go right out
the other year.

All this bullshit, all the thousands of people who
are made to attend by the courts.The whole
"treating drug addicts for profit" is a sick show

Speaking hypothetically, if somehow the stupid
fucking DEA won the "WAR" on drugs, (thanks
Nancy) what would all those thousand of
agents do? would they say "we did it" and throw
their badges down because they accomplished
what they set out to do ??? Hell no! They let
enough dirt "slip by" to keep their monopoly

Think that will happen? No There are thousands
of cops and SWAT all with families and kids
in college ( whatever, just part of the story )
who will suddenly have no job because the
DEA supposedly erradicated the drug problem.

My point is that all the treatment programs out there
the intervention crap on a&e, those people get payed
alot and frankly alot of agencies would be fucked
because if this country cannot continue to fine jail
harrass and punish it's "lower class members, one of
them is hitting a joint!!

So we have taken a perpetual problem. A "problem"
that they know will always be there so lets file
for more grants. Get 15 new police cruisers who
now cost around 80 grand.

fuck off po po