It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had my initial meeting with my suboxone doctor and she said I should start with 4mg of sub. This seems too much for me since i'm not withdrawing. I IV heroin and i want to stop but I've never been sick ever. At my peek use i used for 7 days in a row and then stopped for 3-4 days to lower tolerance and then repeat. Ive been two detox on methadone twice cause I overdosed and the second time cause my parents caught me. I actually want to stay sober now. I get intense cravings. When i use a few times my cravings go down and i can take a break and be fine. Well my question is 4mg of sub too much since I'm not withdrawing or should I ask my doctor to go to 2mg or should i not do either? I have my induction on tuesday and i will be 8 days sober then. I constantly have the urge to use. I was allergic to naltrexone and i wouldn't want to take it anyway cause i would still have cravings. i honestly do not know if i'm an addict or not but at the same time its the thing i care about the most.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Sailinks
Welcome to the forum.
Im sorry I cannot answer your question but hang in here. Someone will ne along soon to give helpful advice.
In my opinion, if I had been clean 8 days then I would probably try and stay clean and not start treatment that you eventually have go through some hard work to get completely off. But on the other hand, if your mind is going to have too much grip on your head about craving, then suboxone is a great idea.
I would have gone cold turkey but it was that whole point of knowing myself and lifestyle. I know I would relapse if I didn't have this safeguard.
So in conclusion - Sub is great for helping me lead a normal life, not crave and also to regain my finances, family and friends trust and love.
Im 4 months into sub so no type of expert at all. If your GP thinks you need it then mayibe if she knows you right , then you should.
Someone will come along with dosing amounts advice. I think if you start low then you can always move up. I just haven't yet heard anyone be started on only 2mg. That would be excellent if your started on 2mg and never need to go higher, but I don't think it works that way. I may be wrong.
\Good luck and please let us know how you go

Mel

Last edited by mel78 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 pm 

It is important when you first go on sub to make sure all of your receptors receive the medication. You may be able to do that on 4mg, but I wouldn't start any lower than that.

What stuck out for me from your post is that you're having really intense cravings. One of the best feelings that suboxone can produce is the loss of obsessing over your drug of choice. If your cravings do not subside with a dose of 4mg, you may have to go on a higher dose. Relapse can have such deadly consequences!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You said you've never been sick, ever. This means you don't have an opioid tolerance. I would think long and hard before beginning a med that you will become physically dependent on, will give you an opioid tolerance, and you will have to withdraw from if & when you decide to stop.

Have you tried any other treatment approaches, such as attending a 12-step fellowship? For some people that approach truly helps reduce or eliminate the desire to use. Obviously I don't know your whole history and situation, but I would strongly suggest giving abstainence based recovery a try before starting a med that will give you an opioid dependance that you don't already have.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Lilly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome saillinks!,
I'm wondering how long you have been using heroin for? For the first couple of years on heroin I would use fairly casually. Maybe once a month at the most. I was convinced it didn't have the addictive properties I had heard about! At some point I lost all control and used daily for years. Timelines are a bit of a blur for me but I would say It was a struggle for near ten yrs.
its complicated with IVing because the process of injecting, for me, became just as appealing as the drug. I loved it.
I was inducted on 2 or 3mg. I knew nothing about suboxone or dosing and knew only to trust my GP.
He had previously treated with me with methadone of which didn't work well for me. I was about 40 hrs into withdrawal and I felt amazing soon after my initial dose.
I am now on 8-12mg. I felt some withdrawal symptoms on 2mg after a couple of weeks. My GP was highly resistive to increasing and the most he would allow me to be on was 6mg.
I found a wonderful GP who actually listens to me! From 2mg I climbed to 18mg.
Addicts inherently believe more is better so it is difficult changing this way of thinking and I still struggle with it.
You said that you are not sure if you are an addict and proceeded to say that it's "the thing I care about the most". If you are using or struggling with urges, that in itself seems significant. I can't answer your question but I like lilyvals idea of trying treatment in the form of meetings and counselling. If that isn't successfully helping you to stay on track, it might be worth considering suboxone. I can only speak for myself but I tried most resources before accepting suboxone as my last resort.
All it can take is a little stress and time for your casual use to escalate. Please be careful.
Take care and hope to hear from you again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Also sail, I wasn't sure on what you meant by having never been sick?
Using heroin often leads to episodes of vomiting(my experience)Were you referring to that or that you have never experienced sickness from withdrawal? I can't imagine feeling nothing after a week of using?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:02 pm 

The fact that you've overdosed before is what makes me think you'd benefit from sub. Regardless if ur not getting sick between using, u obviously have a problem with cravings and being able to stop completely on ur own. That's the powerless part that a lot of us face. We're powerless over our drug of choice and unable to break the cycle of stopping completely. I think u should try what ur Dr is suggesting and if u need more or u need less, then adjust ur dosage that's going to best keep u satisfied. This medication is going to keep u from having any cravings, which is a huge blessing. Good luck :)