It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi guys i'm a 39 yr. old opiate addict and i really want to share my story with people that can relate to what i'm going through. i've been addicted to pain pills for atleast the past ten years. it started innocently enough with a sholder injury on the job. i do construction and injuries and aches and pains are the norm in my line of work but anyways thats how i got started being addicted to pain meds. i was prescribed hydrocodones from my dr. for about 3 years instead of having a torn roater cuff fixed and i've progressively worked my way up to needing atleast 150 mgs. a day of oxy to keep from getting sick. my family dr. cut me off pain meds along time ago and everything i get is off the street and exspensive. after years of this i finally decided that i needed help and looked into different treatment options and discovered suboxone and the only dr. liscenced in my area to dispense it. after a two month wait my appt. came up to see him. now this is where i need advice and help. i went to my appt. told the dr. everything and i mean everything. i wanted to be completely honest with him and stop this pathetic lifestyle. the 1st day my appt. lasted about 5 hrs. and he stedily increased my dose until he had me at 24mgs. a day (3 8mg.pills a day) and made me see him once a week in the begining which i was all for and i was embracing my new life on suboxone, never even tried to cheat and felt very proud of myself and let everyone in my life know what i was doing and fessed up to ev eryone close to me about my addiction most had no idea and i felt good getting it off my chest. fast foward about 4 months and this is where i'm at now. i see the sub dr. every 3 weeks he drug tests me on almost every visit and always asks me what other drugs i abuse. i've never missed an appt., never cheated, and never lied to my dr. about anything and he always acts like i'm trying to scam him some how. i have no insurance my meds cost 120 a week, he gets 100 every visit and now demands that i go to a local drug program that is twice a week and costs an additional 50 dollars a week. i am at the point where i give up i have tried to explain to him that i cannot afford to go to this weekly counseling and he told me go or don't ask for your pills anymore. well i don't know what to do i cant afford my treatment but i've given up. this dr. has talked down to me since day one, makes me feel like a scumbag just trying to do the right thing, and just about accuses me every visit of abusing somthing when i always test clean. i'm a wits end and don't know where to go. he's the only sub dr. in my area and i won't be going back to him ever. do i just throw my hands up and go back to my old lifestyle i don't know. i need advice. guys i wanted to add that opiates were all i ever used and have a wife and 3 kids that i love very much and i want to be clean and provide the life they deserve and are owed atleast in my opinion and i wanted you guys to know that pills were my "thing" and nothing else not even alcohol ever. please give me advice if you can. thanks guys(:

Last edited by dumbdrunk on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi guys i know i've been bitching quite a bit lately about my treatment, my next appt. is monday morn and i'm still hoping one of you guys would give me some advice on my $$$$$ dilemna. if you guys get a chance please read my last post titled: my suboxone horror story, and pipe in good, bad, or ugly i just want you guys to guide me before my next appt. or if you guys think i should just not bother to even go to it. i'm dangerously close to being out of my subs but i don't think my dr. will even write me another one and he may drop me as a patient due to all the money i owe his office and i also don't have the money to get my prescription filled even if he decides to write one for me (which i don't think he will anyways). please read my posts and let me know your guys opinions even if it is'nt what i want to hear. thanks brother and sister addicts. dumbdrunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, The only thing I can suggest is going to http://suboxone.activebb.net They have information on financial assistance. I been on suboxone since 08-14-08 and I was told I had to go to meetings and counseling. Since there is only one Dr. in your area that can prescribe suboxone you might want to consider methadone. I hope this helps you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: sherigirl
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the info sheri i will check that website out today. thank you

Post subject: Good news
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read that Suboxone goes generic around October this year! Hopefully it will be much cheaper.

Another thing you can do is go to Wal-Mart. Supposedly, they're around $5 a pill, unless you are already paying that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If I read correctly, you are currently taking 3, 8mg tabs per day?
Have you considered tapering down? I mean, if you even went from 24 mg down to 12 mg/day, your drug bill would be cut in half. Most everything published indicates that the initial part of the detox is pretty much painless. This has been my experience as well - from 12mg to (now) 1mg/day without so much as a twitch.
I also have paid out of pocket the whole way for seeing the doctor as well as the meds and certainly understand how expensive it is. I just decided to look at it as "it's worth whatever it costs", because the alternative, in my case anyway, is that I would have been dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's my understanding that it's a requirement to complete some kind of outpatient therapy \ drug counseling in order to be on suboxone..

OR maybe this just varies per doctor? I know every doctor here makes you do it. For the financial advise, man 24 mg is a ton of suboxone to be on...Why does your doc have you on such a high dose?

Are there any studies out there that compare the "Effectiveness" of a large dose (greater than 12mgs) compared to a smaller dose (4-8mgs)?

I've always been told that with buprenorphine, less is more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doc told me that suboxone has a ceiling at 14 mg per day. Anything above that does not change the effect. I didn't have withdrawal symptoms while tapering down until I got to the lower doses, below 4 mg per day. Whatever you do, don't take methadone. It is definitely cheaper but not worth it in the long run. I was on methadone for four years to control chronic pain. To make a long story short, I almost died getting off it. Dr. Junig has a great video on youtube that explains why your withdrawal symptoms are tolerable until you get down to 4 mg a day. Can you drive to see a different doc in another area? I would make the commute and lower your dose to as low as you can go comfortably to save money on the pills.