It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: suboxone i'm hooked
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on suboxone for 2years and I can't go a day without it. I have asked my doctor if anyone has gotten off this and all i get is " I'm sure we have some people" but she can't tell me for sure. My drug of choice was vicodin for 10yrs of my life and suboxone seemed like a god send but now I am hooked on it . I take 2mg 3x day. I have been diagnosed as bi-polar in the past year and I really don't know who I am anymore. I believe that suboxone has changed me to the person I am today. I will be entering rehad for my addiction to suboxone and would like to know if there is anyone else like me out there. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am just giving my opinion, but how much work have you put into changing addictive behaviors?? I have known other people with bipolar of other mental issues who get caught up with the ritual of taking a drug, not the drug itself, could this be the problem?

Post subject: RE: suboxone i'm hooked
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, I can see how it is very easy to become addicted to Suboxone. I have been taking it for about a year and a half now, and flirted dangerously close to becoming as addicted to it as I was with my drug of choice---they give you almost the same high as a vicoden or a methadone would (for me, anyway) and, as the poster mentions above, the ritual of taking the Sub is also very addicting.

I was taking too many Subs at once, running out very early and then having to taper down very abruptly at the end of the month so that I wouldn't be 10-15 days early for my monthly doctor appt. I was miserable. I got very depressed at the end of every month, and was very unpleasant to be around. This behavior was actually just negating every step I took to quit my drug of choice and actually begin Sub treatment.

The great thing about Sub is that once you begin to taper---for me---your body adapts very quickly to the lower dosages. It also works the opposite way---if you take too many, your tolerance will sky rocket and it will take a lot more Subs to set you straight. One day, when I had like 2 tablets left and like 15 days to go until my dr. appt, I decided that it wasn't worth it---that if you stick to the prescribed amount, you will feel just as good--if not better--on the lower dosages than on the higher ones.

My advice, bro, is just be strong and train your mind to accept the normal dosages your dr. gives you. Once you begin to take what your actually supposed to take, you will feel a lot better.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: switching DOPE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You guys are simply switching narcotics and expecting change. You're still on dope! You just switched drug dealers. Your new dealer just wears a white coat.

Wean off that garbage, suck it up for a couple days (coming off narcotics sucks- I know, I've been there more than a few times), and find some recovery.

Is it just me or is it asinine to take something like this long-term? The only way to see some actual change and develop a real life with some real meaning is to get off this crap and learn a new way to live.

Doctors are getting filthy rich off people coming in month after month for these prescriptions. Of course they'll give you their cell phone number and call you back. If you were paying for my Mercedez, I'd let you call too.

Post subject: Re: switching DOPE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on suboxone for 3 months. I jumped off at 8mg. It was sheer hell. I couldn't taper, all I did was think about 'how much can I take" just like any other opiate. Instead of 4 days, its like 2+ weeks of withdrawal. Worse in some ways, better in others, but overall, bad. You CAN do it though, it is possible.

Post subject: Re: switching DOPE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

You are amazing!!! Who's getting rich???? Have you checked your pay stub recently? I certainly don't believe any DR. is getting rich prescribing medication. The way I see it, it is the drug companies, the pharmacies, and pharmicists that are getting rich. I only hope that my doctor is making enough of a salary to pay for past, present, and future. If he doesn't I would then be very concerned. When I leave the DR's office I go to the pharmacy and give them two times what I just paid the doc. At least in the meanwhile my doc is helping someone. And, he is charging me no more than what I charge per hr to design mechanical systems and draw plans. And I know I'm not getting filthy rich.
The way you have been going about bashing in this post and others I have seen I would have to believe that you may be back to "grazing". Be very careful or you may end up on suboxone.
I would suggest to don't post on this site any more. I see this site as a place to help rebuild a life. Not help to tear it down. There is sites out their with people of your mentality. I would ask that you please go there.
Thank You in advance.
TJ[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My paycheck plays no part in paying for your Suboxone addiction. Pharmacies themselves make very little profit on the drug- it is a costly drug for them to purchase.
I'm not bashing. If you wanna continue pay all that money every month while missing out on a true clean and sober life. Go ahead! Knock your ignorant self out. You're obviously brainwashed into believing that substituting a narcotic (which Suboxone is) for your narcotic of choice is acceptable. Good luck with that-have a nice life. I would never suggest that someone with a Valium addiction be treated with Xanax long term...why would I be ok with a patient using long-term Suboxone for opiod addiction? I just want to encourage other people to seek real recovery instead of your crutch-assisted one.
Many of you guys bash 12-step meetings like it's some kind of death sentence. It's nothing like that. I thoroughly enjoy going and hanging out with my home group every Tuesday- as well as the other meetings I go to. My mood, family life, recovery, and daily life are enriched by my attendance and participation. It's where I continuously learn to live without constantly bombarding my opiate receptors.
So...prebrainwashed folks- go find a meeting and give sobriety a try. It's a better way of life-hands down.
Hoober and the others that have bought into this Suboxone BS- have a great life, albeit an artificial one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No offense, but I'm glad you aren't MY pharmacist...

For some people, Suboxone is a HUGE step toward a full recovery. Just because they are taking another "narcotic" to help fight back withdrawals and a totally doomed outlook on life, doesn't make them any less capable of maintaining a clean and sober lifestyle. I go to 12-step programs weekly and did the 90 meetings in 90 days, which definitely helped me---but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have made it through those 90 days sober without the help of Suboxone. Yes, it CAN be considered a "crutch" by some people, but for others, it is the difference between life and death.

I don't mean any disrespect, but if you aren't on Subs and don't have any pertinent knowledge on the subject to impart on us fellow Suboxone patients, why are you even here? I realize you have a right to be here like any one else, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like you have anything positive to contribute other than "it's my way or the highway." Some programs work for some people---i.e. the 12-steps work for you---and other programs work for other people. EVERYONE is different. That is a basic step that every 12 step program teaches you...

I hope you are able to give up that desolate, cynical attitude for your own sake. I used to be the same way, and it nearly sent me back into the streets using. God bless. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is obviously a late as the last post in the thread was several months ago but I have to comment. I don't know about you guys but if Suboxone was "addicting" there would be no way I could take only prescribed amounts. Trust me if there was some way I could abuse I would have found out by now. I could see non opiate addicts or low tolerance getting a buzz initially but in time like has been explained in several other places within 3 days the person will feel normal. I'm a dope fiend I was willing to abuse drugs when everything had fallen apart in my life, nothing was capable of stopping me. I honestly just can't figure out where all the negativety is coming from. Are some people jealous that they didn't choose the Suboxone route? I know the 4 months I spent after treatment on a "dry drunk" were miserable, no 12-step program and I was very jealous of people I'd met on Suboxone they looked so normal and happy. This medication literally saved my life. I may eventually taper off but I'm in no hurry I've felt the best I have since I don't even know how long. And just to clarify again I just don't see how anyone could abuse it the one or two times I've accidentally forgotten to take my dose I felt no different logic would stand that taking more would have no effect either.

Post subject: re: suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Maybe you need to see a psychiatrist who can treat you for your bipolar disorder. Once that issue is resolved, maybe it'll be easier to taper off of suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, Matt-- the posts above were so silly that I didn't want to get involved in answering them. The 'docs getting rich' thing... this seems to be the era of hating everybody who works hard, and I won't win that battle. But in this case, it is so funny to think that the opinion is even out there. Doesn't anyone look at articles about health care-- the ones that show psychiatrists with pediatricians, at the bottom of the doctor pay scale? Don't people know about the 100 patient cap? Don't people wonder why, if it is such a 'gravy train', there are so few doctors who deal with Suboxone? The biggest problem right now is that doctors who get certified quickly realize that it is a lot more work, for less money, than most other areas of medicine. When I was an anesthesiologist, the orthopedist did an ACL repair in 40 minutes, and his fee was 5 grand. That was ten years ago. The anesthesiologist got $700- still not bad for 40 minutes of work. I can't get anywhere near those kinds of numbers managing opiate addicts on Suboxone!

As for 'people on Suboxone being high'-- those of you who take the medication know how accurate THAT is. Reading that comment alone tells you that the writer is making this stuff up.

The whole issue of being 'addicted' to Suboxone-- people are getting mixed up between 'addiction' and 'physically dependent'. Addiction consists of 'mental obsession', the very thing that Suboxone eliminates. Yes, if you take it wrong, you can play with it... but it is hard to get 'high' from it for more than a couple days, before tolerance prevents it from happening.

I never know what to do with these kinds of posts; they are clearly inaccurate, and are people with anti-suboxone attitudes who are just trying to make people feel like they have problems that they don't have. The pharmacist-- some snooty attitude that recovery means THIS, and not THAT, as if he was appointed by someone as the person who gets to decide who is REALLY clean. For newcomers to Suboxone, please realize that the people who post this sort of garbage are never around very long; they come here with a couple months of sobriety, all full of themselves and thinking they have all the answers... then a few months later they are gone, out using again and too embarrassed to post an apology.

The goal is to live life in spite of opiate dependence. However it works for you is the right way. As long as it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I been on Suboxone maintenance for 6+ years and bi-polar. Since I've started on the Suboxone program I no longer need any medicine to help manage my bi-ploar symptoms as Suboxone seems to have eliminated most of my symptoms. It also helps me manage my severe pain. I used to believe that buprenorphine was a terrible pain killer -until i was without for a few days. In the beginning, say the first year or two, I too used to abuse my supply but fastly got tired of doing the fast taper at the end of every month. I was in NA (still go to meetings here & there) and have been to group therapy for YEARS. even before being inducted into the program. I wanted to quit heroin very badly and start enjoying life instead of looking over my shoulder everyday in fear of the law or even worse, the inevitable O.D.. I got very depressed hearing on the street that so-n-so died or got busted. enough of that. I been hearing from my youngest Brother that his friends in High School are apparently selling and using them recreation ally! This makes me mad that people are just using them as a crutch in case they run out and only going to the Dr.'s just to get a script to sell to maintain their habit! Ruining it for all the good honest people that are actually trying to make something of themselves...oh well. Anyway the point is that since I been taking my Suboxone as prescribed I have had nothing but success with this med. Thank you.