It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

long story, ill try to get right to the point. I've been addicted to opiates for two year, my life was getting out of control and reached a full blown addiction in late 2012. So i got help went to rehab and started recently taking suboxone. After a relapses i got on suboxone a few months ago and it seems like a miracle drug of sorts for me. I take 2mg film once a day at 3pm sharp and have been for months. for some odd reason about 3 hours after taking it im stoned for a good 2 hours... this has been going on for a week. and has never happened before. why is this now happening?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. That sure is strange why it would be making you "stoned" this time around. It almost sounds like it's too much sub for you and is causing that issue. No answer as to why it wouldn't have done that before, but that would be my guess anyway, and it's purely a guess on my part.

Hopefully someone that has a better idea, or confirms that it may be too strong, will be here soon. I'm sure someone has the answer your looking for. Are you taking anything else with the sub such as alcohol or anything like that? No judgement, only asking as that may explain it.

Anyway I just wanted to welcome you and wish you the very best. Take care and please keep us updated with your progress.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum. That sure is strange why it would be making you "stoned" this time around. It almost sounds like it's too much sub for you and is causing that issue. No answer as to why it wouldn't have done that before, but that would be my guess anyway, and it's purely a guess on my part.

Hopefully someone that has a better idea, or confirms that it may be too strong, will be here soon. I'm sure someone has the answer your looking for. Are you taking anything else with the sub such as alcohol or anything like that? No judgement, only asking as that may explain it.

Anyway I just wanted to welcome you and wish you the very best. Take care and please keep us updated with your progress.

Karen xoxo

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do take ativan .50mg at 6 am. i doubt thats it though cause ive been on it since december 2012. nope not even a drop of liquor in months. just to clear up any confusion if someone ask im not looking to get high at all, i find suboxne high not very pleasant. my dose could be too high for me maybe but all of a sudden this is happening idk. thanks.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Follow up. So a week has gone by without feeling stoned after taking my suboxone. The next day after my first post about it things went back to normal... you know not feeling stoned after taking it. Then today boooom it hit me. I was stoned for a good hour, NOT nodding off stoned but i could feel mild euphoria and slowed reactions. Typing this right now I still have a bit of a buzz. Doing some research i read this article where alcoholics who continue to drink in late stages of alcoholism lose tolerance to alcohol. I wonder if the same thing can be going on with me, except with subs. I'm in great health except for my addiction. 2mg of suboxone has never been a problem for me to take. Even at the peak of my addiction to opiates an 80mg of oxy wouldnt even come close for me to reaching a buzz. I'm confused, I don't like being high off my subs... I but i'm honestly too scared to lower my dose, but I guess for right now i'll just keep taking the 2mg daily and see if the problem goes away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 am 

Sorry that no one really answered your question. I've been at 2 mg for several months and I have a pretty good idea why you are getting a little high from your dose. It doesn't happen to me any more, but it did when I first got to 2 mg.

I'm not the best person to explain the science behind what you're feeling, but I'll try. Then anyone else is welcome to expand, correct as they see fit. At 4 to 8 mgs all of your opiate receptors are filled for the entire 24 hours between doses. That's because you're at or above the "ceiling" (the point at which all your opiate receptors are filled).

When you drop down to 2 mg, some or all of your receptors are not totally filled for 24 hours. Right before you dose, your suboxone level on your receptors are at their lowest amount. When you take your dose, suboxone floods back on your receptors causing you to feel your dose. For me, it never felt like a complete high or being stoned, but it did feel nice. You have a couple of options. If feeling high is triggering you to want to use, bump your dose up to 3 or 4 mg. If you can deal with the feeling and can let it fade into the background then you don't have to change your dose. You'll just get used to the feeling and move on with your life.

I can tell you that the first time it happened to me at 2.75 mg I freaked out a little bit. Luckily, Romeo was there to talk me down. :) Now it never happens or, at least, I don't notice it.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amy totally hit it, I think. My easy answer is that absorption rates are going to vary and at only 2mg daily you're going to be teetering on the edge of having adequate maintenance receptor coverage for once-daily dosing. This is why I think if you were on a couple milligrams higher dosage you likely would feel more stable overall once you even out at that dose. That's why people used to always say 'less is more' with buprenorphine, because at lower (specifically microgram) dosages people tended to have the ups (and similarly downs) associated with full-agonist opioids.

Travis

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, that's gotta be right. thanks guys. I have heard before less is always more with suboxone but i had no idea what that meant and i thought it was some sort of joke. Now i know, less is more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

And makes the buprenorphine user less stable, typically. That's the important part. :)

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh yeah, they're all about this on another forum that I joined and quit in about a 5 days haha!

If you randomly dose at 2 mg, you can get an opiate buzz. And it's for the reason Amy lists. It still not the same buzz as other opiates, but a buzz nonetheless. I think at that point someone is just desperate for any kind of buzz. Totally defeats the purpose of suboxone.

Oh the stories I read about what people will do just for a change of mindset!